Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: camera hunt....

camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #8777

• vuyosevich
  • vuyosevich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
ok.... so half of my silver lake pics didn't come out. they're either fuzzy,have a purple haze to them, or just black. i have a canon powershot and its 5 yrs.old i have tried it with 3 different sets of batteries, and get the same result.i'm shopping on the net and have narrowed it down to 2 cameras. one a nikon coolpix s6000.the other a kodak easyshare. both are under $200 with 12mp or higher, 5x optical zoom,3"lcd viewer. any thoughts? also how many pics will a 2gb card take? how long a movie? ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #8780

well...
I got three..

my olimpus Camedia 1.3 (yea you read that right)

the thing is, the old camera takes really good "manageable pictures"....

a aiptex...flip video/camera/mp3

this is the one you saw me using at the meets, now I love it but right now I am having some battery issues with it because the rechargeable battery that it has is design to fit in the camera and right now after a one dat charge it only may last 10 or so pics and a couple min of video, just recently I found replacement battery's for it so it may still have a 2ed chance, I don't have to say how much I like this camera.

the Grand daddy of them all...

the KODAK 10.1 (which I was a little upset with Genny when she bought it, her reasoning for buy THAT camera was to support OUR LOCAL ECONOMY and I told her she wasn't...on the bottom it say's...made in china.

really nice camera with allot of features that are quick to use because of the thumb wheel selector on the top, 10.1 magapix with a 5x zoom that can focus on a bird xss on our fence at 70 feet from the house. it also takes videos, useing a tripod is recommend with this just because of the zoom factor. uses two Nicade double A battery which seem to last allot long then using a regular off the shelf double A battery

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #8794

ron,all i can tell you is...i have a nikon,coolpix L3,its pretty old,its 5.1 mega pixel,with a 3x zoom,but it still works great,when i bought it at about 300 bucks ,it was the top of the line at 5 mega pixels.i dont even know if it can do video,lol i never even looked,lol.
i just looked yep it can video,ill be darned,lol.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #8808

Have had both the Canon (3) and the Nikon (1) and had no preferences as far as photo quality goes. I do prefer the ease of the Canon software when it comes to putting the photos on the computer and modifying them if necessary. To me that makes a difference.

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #8810

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
john, what size memory card do you have and how many pics will it take? ron

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #8815

ron,its a 125 mg card as for pics im not sure i have taken over 300 so far,and no problems yet.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #8833

john I think you meant 125 mb, which is rather small, I run 1 gb or a 2 gb cards in the aptex and an 8 gb in the Kodak.

when it comes to videos on a memory card...size does mater (hehe) :blush:

in the grand daddy camera it uses a 16 MB memory card (omg)

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #8838

sorry its a 125mb card,but i told you it was old,lol.

---Mark Twain

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #8839

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
any idea how much bigger a 2gbcard is over a 125mb card?

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #8961

• webmaster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
It's 16 times larger.

Here's what I have. The Sony DSC H-2. Hovering around 400 bucks new, she does the job and has numerous options.

I use it for everything.

Only drawback, it's proprietary and uses Sony MemoryStick Duo's... but nintendo's & other gaming systems use them too so the cards are cheap. You can slap in whatever size you like & go. I use a 4GB and there's thousands of photos on it right now.

And... it takes regular AA batteries if needed.

With the Carl Zeiss lens standard, it does the job nicely.

Plus, if you plug it into your computer (usb cable) it just becomes a hard drive and you can snag your pictures easily.

Review here:

www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/sony/dsc-h2/sony-dsc-h2-review.html

Kelly
Attachments:

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #8987

vuyosevich wrote:

ok.... so half of my silver lake pics didn't come out. they're either fuzzy,have a purple haze to them, or just black. i have a canon powershot and its 5 yrs.old i have tried it with 3 different sets of batteries, and get the same result.i'm shopping on the net and have narrowed it down to 2 cameras. one a nikon coolpix s6000.the other a kodak easyshare. both are under $200 with 12mp or higher, 5x optical zoom,3"lcd viewer. any thoughts? also how many pics will a 2gb card take? how long a movie? ron

The Coolpix S6000 is a decent camera for the money.

Im a photographer by trade and use\come in contact A LOT of photo gear from 200 dollar point and shoots to 20,000+ dollar medium formats and everything in between and my assessment is this: Pretty much anything made by Canon or Nikon, with very few exceptions, is a good buy.

How many pictures you can fit on a card are relative to the size of the files the camera produces and the size of the card. With most point and shoot cameras, a 2-4GB card will be plenty of storage space for a full day of activities. Your not dealing with high frame per second DSLR's so you wont see huge amounts of images. A 4GB card with a 12 megapixel camera for instance will give you room for roughly 600-700ish photos. As you drop in mega-pixels, the amount you can store will increase. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS shoot with your camera at the highest quality and size setting. This will allow you to print photos at larger sizes. You can always re-size them down for internet use but its very difficult, unless you have the means, to re-size them up for printing.

Personally, i wouldn't touch anything "Kodak" with a 10 foot pole. Kodak is one of those companies that had its run in the film days but their digital cameras, in my opinion, are sub par on a dollar per quality\feature\picture quality level. People buy them because Kodak is a recognizable trademark and generally associate it with a great camera and its just not quite true nowadays as you can get much better for equal or less money. They do, however, make some awesome photo paper, commercial printers and film but their cameras leave a lot to be desired.

Before you buy anything, check out Dpreview.com. Lots of in-depth, comprehensive reviews on digital cameras and they are a reliable source for very valuable information. Above all, try before you buy if possible!

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #9134

if I was to buy, or could get the camera I use to have, I would get the Canon 40d digital Camera.

why?, because you can use just about any Canon lenses on them, that's right, the "body" and the "lens" separate for they are interchangeable to what ever you hart desires, and the lenses are affordable because, you can even find them at garage sales.

You can always re-size them down for internet use but its very difficult

it is capable of taking a really BIG picture, that even a guy like me can re sizes using Infranview, which Kelly turned me on to so resizing an't a proplem! let's say you have the right telephoto lens on and your on the south shore of silver lake and your friend is on the north shore, with a tripod you could flip pictures of your buddy till the batteries died, and they would be clear.
Attachments:

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #9140

ron ask what the different was between a 125mb and a 2 gb card was

1gb = 1024mb

so, with my 2 gig"smartcards" I use, I have around 16 times more storage than someone who uses a 125 mb card.

which, if your useing the highest setting on your camera, the file size will be larger, with the larger storage capacity you then can "store" more on the card between transfers to your computer.

one note, I have found two things that will slow down a digital camera, one is battery's, all ways use nicad battery's, fully charged battery's are nice but expect to change them when your battery meter is around halfway. the other, empty your card as often as possible, keeping allot of pictures on a smartcard "as a library" causes the camera to...pause....which..will..slow...it..down...when..your...taking ...pictures

depending on the file size your camera is saving (per-pic) on the highest setting should dictate the size of the memory card you would want to use, I could use genny 8 gig card in my aiptex camera BUT her Kodak 10.5 takes huge pictures and video files compared to what the aiptex camera does

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #9350

ok i just ran out of memory ,since 2006,about 500 pics,i need a new memory card.are they expensive?

---Mark Twain

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #9372

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
John, if I remember right they're under $20. The bigger ones are probably more than I paid, but I delete mine from the card when I download them from the camera onto the computer. (Also if your computer starts getting full, you can archive them onto a flash drive, zip drive, or whatever they're calling the portable storage devices these days. They're also pretty cheap, and if your computer crashes your images are safe!)

Mark

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #9382

thanks mark that helped alot.

---Mark Twain

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #9391

i got a new card its a 2gb,its bigger then the original but it still works in my camera,11.00 bucks at walmart.

---Mark Twain

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #9402

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
picked up the new camera today. nikon s6000 with a 2gb card, leather case and re-chargeable lithium battery and charger. $199. the salesman said it would take 400 pics because of the 14 megapixel size. thanks to all who offered advice.
mark..a flash drive for storing your pics is almost a must, but i still haven't got one yet. they are inexpensive. ron

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #9474

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OMG... i think you need a college degree on how to use this camera, and i ain't no student. the book is as thick as the bible. all i wanted was to point and clik. this is not good. :ohmy:

Re:camera hunt.... 13 years 10 months ago #9488

hehehe sounds like oh ron need a teenager to read and translate for him...

ron, just remember MAXIMUM FILE SIZE, and AUTO PICTURE...

the rest is trail and error....like Genny taking pictures with her 10.1 Kodak, she had it set on manual (I looked at it and it said select F-stop?left me say F-stop is a camera setting wtf!)

I looked at the thumb wheel setting and I was like oh I see what yea did...all ways have it set on AUTOMATIC...and wanna know what she said?

"that would explain why allot of my Pocono pictures did turn out"

it is a bit of a learning curve but you will figure out how to use it for what you want to do, lucky it doesn't use film so trail and error doesn't cost anything.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)