Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: work on the spring house/milk house

work on the spring house/milk house 11 years 6 months ago #70184

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
i started to replace the rotting roof on the old farms milk house,my property used to be part of a 100 plus acre farm,of which we own 9 acres ,the spring house was where they kept the milk cold after milking the cows.
the 1st roof i put on 13 years ago rotted out and started to cave in,too damp inside and didnt have treated lumber.
i had to do it now ,before snow,as this is our water supply it goes from the spring house to a 1000 gallon water tank,then gravity feed to our house.
so thanks to shiply for buying my cutter and motor,i can now put on the roof.

my wife and i lucked out and found a 10x12 metal shed in a box for 100 bucks,so we plan on putting it on top of the milkhouse,this time im over hanging it the whole way around to fit the shed and to put screen and left over soffitt uner the eves of the floor/roof.
that way air can circulate.

i layed plastic under the plywood to kep the moisture from rotting it from underneath again,it will also keep any oil,(if any ever does leak from our garden tractor that we will keep inside,we didnt have a place to store it.

now this shed is going to be away from the house and by the road so a driveway alarm will be aimed at the shed,plus motion sensing lights,hopefully it will keep a holes like the ones that stole skips boat from stealing my tractor.john
here is where i am so far,i gotta go slow
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:work on the spring house/milk house 11 years 6 months ago #70187

john, wish i was able to keep my tractor in the garage but it doesn't fit with the ROPS and to take it off and on is a pain in the a.. if i would of opted for an 8'door it would of fit but would of cut a foot off my second floor head clearance.

Re:work on the spring house/milk house 11 years 6 months ago #70191

Take it easy Buddy, I'm the same way, SLOW. Looks like a plan to me. Are you talking mower tractor or backhoe tractor.

Re:work on the spring house/milk house 11 years 6 months ago #70196

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron my mini bachoe fits in my garage but there is usually a boat in it,the way things are going im going to take out the aqua loo and put the backhoe in the garage.
robert its for the garden tractor it needs out of the weather.at least i got the plywood sheathing on today and started tp put the metal shed together,tommorrw i obligated myself to push around and level off about 10 tri axle loads of dirt for yet another cousin of my wifes ,that doesnt bother with us any other time.
i told him im working on the spring house you would think since im doing his dirt for nothing he would have offered to help.
but hes the same guy i helped build a room addition and roof at no charge,and then when im working on my house hes nowere around,until now that is,lol,oh well,like a smart fella once said pay it forward,lol,john
Attachments:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:work on the spring house/milk house 11 years 6 months ago #70198

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron my mini bachoe fits in my garage but there is usually a boat in it,the way things are going im going to take out the aqua loo and put the backhoe in the garage.
robert its for the garden tractor it needs out of the weather.at least i got the plywood sheathing on today and started tp put the metal shed together,tommorrw i obligated myself to push around and level off about 10 tri axle loads of dirt for yet another cousin of my wifes ,that doesnt bother with us any other time.
i told him im working on the spring house you would think since im doing his dirt for nothing he would have offered to help.
but hes the same guy i helped build a room addition and roof at no charge,and then when im working on my house hes nowere around,until now that is,lol,oh well,like a smart fella once said pay it forward,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:work on the spring house/milk house 11 years 6 months ago #70200

10 tri-axles is a sh..load of soil bud. a blade would make it much easier. i think theres a company that makes attachments for that purpose. i always wanted to get a blade. if your moving soil on a slope...slow and careful.

Re:work on the spring house/milk house 11 years 6 months ago #70207

John we must be related. I used my Gravely 16 G once to level and grade a tri=axle load of modified. It took about 45 minutes. That was from a pile. I'm doing tile today. :(

Re:work on the spring house/milk house 11 years 6 months ago #70431

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yep we must be robert,lol,and yep ron its alot,it just so happened i lost my hydrolic fluid and im not able to fix it at this time,everything is in the spring house which is getting done slowly.
i got the shed on the floor now for the drip edge and screen and soffit to keep out critters,lol.
the thing that ticked me off was the guy who i was pushing the dirt for,after my hoe broke down at 7 am,he showed up later while i was working on the shed over the spring house and asked if i needed help.
i sad yeah but it looks like i cant get my backhoe fixed yet,im not sure if its a pump or a hose leaking there was to much fluid to see where it was coming from.
so he left!
in the pics you can see i had to build scaffolding all the way around ,thank goodness for left over lumber from the room addition and my father in laws scaffold planks.
and the 100 dollar shed that might be missing some parts....it was only missing one screw,yahoo! you can see what was left of the old roof after 13 years,not much left.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:work on the spring house/milk house 11 years 6 months ago #70453

Looks good there John. Sorry to hear about your tractor. Hopefully its only a seal gone out. Skip.

Re:work on the spring house/milk house 11 years 6 months ago #70463

I have the twin to that shed sitting here unassembled. It is missing parts too. I hate building those things. LOL Hint, Do not lean on the roof.

Re:work on the spring house/milk house 11 years 6 months ago #70468

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thanks skip,fixing it is going to have to wait a week at least,the bad part is i needed it at this point ,to fill in some fill in front of the milk house so i can build a ramp.
there was bubbles in my fluid so it must be sucking air somewhere.

robert its made of flimsy marerial,but once its together its pretty strong,we were able to lay on the ridge to put on the ridge cap.
yeah it was a big pain to put together,over 300 screws and bolts,lol.john

---Mark Twain

Re:work on the spring house/milk house 11 years 6 months ago #70492

Looks Great John, sorry to hear about the tractor. I'm sure you'll have it figured out quickly.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)