Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Our "new" (to us) travel trailer

Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 11 months ago #61591

We took off at 9 yesterday morning for Rochester (actually Palmyra) and got home about 7:45 last night with our new trailer. It is a 1983 Sunline T-1550, about 7 X 16. It can sleep two adults comfortably, plus 4 other smaller people. It has a toilet, bathroom sink and shower, furnace, stove & oven. There is table space for 6 as well. It has been very well maintained and everything except the hot water heater works. We are VERY excited about it. We also got a great deal on it. It was a very long day. Interior pics later.

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 11 months ago #61592

very nice frank,you will love it.
as for the hot water heater check for mud dauber nests,thats the 1st thing i check on a camper gas appliance that doesnt work.
i know that sounds funny but we had them plug our fridge gas line 2 times,i now have screen over the cover.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 11 months ago #61595

I hope you have some excellent places planned to go see. Good score.

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 11 months ago #61605

wish we had one...the money we spend on rooms is ridiculous, but then again we couldn't afford to take 2 vehicles to the far away shows/meets. nice find and "happy camping"

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 11 months ago #61622

We won't just be using this for boat meets Ron, though when we go to boat meets, it's easy to take two vehicles. Depending on how long you stay (like a week or more), it's also more cost efficient. On the other hand, we have rented a condo on the beach in Ocean City in mid-August. Camper would be cheaper, but the condo sure is nice.

John, looks like my hot water tank leaks, so we'll probably just get a new one. I found exact replacements on the web for 325 bucks.

This baby is already wired for A/C too. All I need is a complete A/C unit and a circuit breaker. The wiring is in the wall and coiled by the circuit breaker.

Here's a few more pics...

The bath, a sit down kind of shower, but I need to get a hot water heater before I try this out. Toilet is to the very left and down in this pic (ya can't see it)

This is the power vent over the bath.

I stile one of the cushions just before I took this pic, and had not put it back yet. All the cushions are new store-bought stuff. Gail and I can fit here when it's made into a bed, but I fit just barely.

The lounge pulls out and is full trailer width, no problem me sleeping here at all.

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 11 months ago #61624

PC,

That's a cutie! My wife and I bought a old used pickup camper a few years back (after the kids left home) and fixed it up. We now spend all fall in it hunting and fishing on the weekends.

In Northern Minnesota we usually wait until the fall to go camping so the bugs and tourist aren't so bothersome. Not that we hate tourist, but man its nice to be alone in the woods once in awhile.

You are going to love it.

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 11 months ago #61641

It would be nice if you could pull small trailer and boat like the triples I see on occasion.

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 11 months ago #61653

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks pretty darn nice to me Frank, congrats on a great find!

Mark

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 11 months ago #61671

Excellent find Frank. That's going to make meet s much easier I think.

Bob

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 11 months ago #61706

Thanks guys! It doesn't need much. My goal over the next few weeks is to get the brakes working. I pulled the drums (NLA unfortunately) this a.m. and will have a buddy turn them. NAPA has relined brake shoes, and even new magnets if I need them. Over the summer we will install a new water heater and tank, one that runs off both electric and propane, and hopefully an A/C unit. The wiring is already in place for the A/C. Just need the A/C unit and a 20 am circuit breaker, and we're good to go.

Frank

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 11 months ago #61862

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Nice Frank.
Great size also. Small enough to pull and not need a huge pickup. And not so small where two would be cramped for room.
My wife and I get to do all of our camping out of our boat, but we had often discussed a medium sized trailer.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 11 months ago #62129

Thanks Neil, doing good, got a great deal, everything mostly works, but will be adding a few things over time. Cool little trailer, still weighs under 2000#s, easy to tow with my 4 cylinder pickup

Spent yesterday a.m. screwing around with the brakes, got 'em working, but the drums and magnets are in bad shape, and the drums are NLA, so maybe next year just get a new axle.

Saturday tore the front apart, put a new connector on, sanded and painted, then did the back bumper/waste tube holder. Today it's a few repairs on our old Sunspot (aluminum tent on wheels - 655 #s!), get it ready to sell. Will use $ from that for some repairs and improvements to the "new" one.

Happy Memorial Day!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 10 months ago #63864

Tonight, thanks to John Gibson's suggestion, I am going to check the framing around the vent on our new-to-us travel trailer. If it's bad, I have some work to do, because my new A/C unit just came into the terminal in Albany, and I can pick it up after work Monday. Cool, no pun intended!

Frank

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 10 months ago #63872

frank,its probaly good to go,but i know i have some roof work on our 1999 camper to do,its soft in the bathroom.
i just figured better safe than sorry,lol,if it is bad all i had to do under my hot water tank,was cut out the bad wood,and sister new 2x2s to the old where it was still good,then new plywood.

if your camper was kept inside you probably dont have to worry about the roof,mine stays outside.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 9 months ago #64464

AC is done, installed and working real well as of earlier tonight. New load center is done too, can't get anymore stuff in there, but that's okay.

Tomorrow I start a more major job - replacing the old 4 gallon water heater with a modern 6 gallon electronic ignition one.

Frank

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 9 months ago #64471

Its a lot of work at first, but then you get to drive it out to the lake and relax. Just boating and camping. Sounds pretty nice to me.

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 9 months ago #64493

Thanks! Got the old water heater out this morning, got everything cleaned up, ready to start figuring out how the new one goes in. Need to build out the hole, smaller flange on this new one...

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 9 months ago #64502

Frank,

I wounder why the larger water heater has a smaller opening? :unsure:

You are moving right along with this, if you keep up this pace you will still have time to get out there and use it. Unlike when I did mine. Had it done just in time to park it for the winter.

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 9 months ago #64505

The opening is a different size because I replaced an Atwood with a Suburban. It's a long story and I need to go get busy!

Frank

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 9 months ago #64682

I now have hot water that is turned on by an interior switch!

Sure is nice doing interior work in an old travel trailer with new AC!

Frank

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 9 months ago #64684

Excellent, good job Frank! Yeah gotta love working in the A/C whenever possible.
Bob

Re:Our "new" (to us) travel trailer 11 years 9 months ago #64710

You got it Bob. Now that's done, just did some sanding on the 50 year old boat we own, filled some cracks and will re-sand when I get home in a few hours, clean and touch up. Got fresh paint in from Jamestown Distributors and have the day off. Work tomorrow, then head off for a week and a half of camping and boating! This weekend we have a dock in Hammondsport on Keuka Lake for the ACBS meet there. Can't wait!

Enjoy your day.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)