Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: What other projects for winter?

What other projects for winter? 12 years 4 months ago #53145

What kind of other projects are we up to to keep winter boredom from creeping in. Besides my outboards that need work I been doing walking sticks and canes. These are not finished yet. This one is driftwood with a clear finish that is almost done. This stick is one I cut last spring at the place my Grandmother grew up, and is about 3/4 inch to one inch thick and has a pattern. It is not finished but is getting Pecan stain to bring out the grain. I'm going to cut more of these. Not sure what it is I forget. This cane I refinished several years ago. I belonged to my Father in Law who passed in 96 in believe. This one means the most to me. About 1986 I was hunting and twisted my back in a very bad fall. I was by myself and at least 3 miles from home. I could barely get up and walk and it was a steep grade I had to go up. In fact I had fallen down the grade. I broke this little tree off and used it to get home. it took hours and was nearly dark when I got home. I threw it in the furnace room and it laid in the corner for years. Every time I seen it I thought about that day and how that ugly little sapling helped me get home. A good customer was throwing out some pool balls and I got the 8 Ball thinking about making a custom gear shift knob. Anyway it became the head for a cane made from that old crooked stick. People have stopped me while using it and wanted to buy it. It has character I guess. I did it several years ago too. It's the mate to my crooked walking stick I guess.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What other projects for winter? 12 years 4 months ago #53147

I still have my Tattoo equipment from the biker days and I tat my friends & neighbors in the winter when its too cold in the barn to work on my boats

my 2 latest pieces

this sleeve tattoo on my next door neighbor, Is a work in progress and may get finished this winter
I finished this piece yesterday
Attachments:

Re:What other projects for winter? 12 years 4 months ago #53149

Cool, people love their ink.

Re:What other projects for winter? 12 years 4 months ago #53169

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Robert, I've been tinkering on this off and on for a while now. A 1965 ford f-100.If it ever gets done I think it will make a good truck.

Re:What other projects for winter? 12 years 4 months ago #53171

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Robert,those walking sticks remind me of some small maples or gums( I guess)that would grow around a vine and make a cork screw shaped walking stick. You ever make one of those? I saw one of then in the woods the other day and thought about one of those.jim

Re:What other projects for winter? 12 years 4 months ago #53176

I knew where several were a few years back that were just a little to small yet. I went back this spring and someone else must have been watching them too. They were gone. Hey I've had my 62 F-100 unibody since 1978.
Attachments:

Re:What other projects for winter? 12 years 4 months ago #53177

once i get to feeling better im going to finish the firetruck,and 1940's stroller,and work on the inside of our room/porch,this is only the 3rd year working on it ,lol,john [img]http://www.fiber [img]/index.php?plg=sslfixer&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fiberglassics.com%2Fmedia%2Fkunena%2Fattachments%2Flegacy%2Fimages%2Fporch_soffit_and_facia_012-20111225.jpg glassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCN0748-20111225.JPG[/img]
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:What other projects for winter? 12 years 4 months ago #53179

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Good looking 62,Robert. Those uni bodies are cool. John,great looking porch!You get a big ole ceiling fan and a wicker chair, you'll have it made. ;) Wife's been wanting a sunroom for years.The way things are right now,she'll have to wait a while longer.

Re:What other projects for winter? 12 years 4 months ago #53182

cleaning out my basement into our new garage so i can use my woodburning stove again. ron
Attachments:

Re:What other projects for winter? 12 years 4 months ago #53183

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I know it's messy burning wood,but there's no heat like it.vuyosevich wrote:

cleaning out my basement into our new garage so i can use my woodburning stove again. ron

Re:What other projects for winter? 12 years 4 months ago #53184

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Just finished installing a wireless router, so our live-in Granddaughters new "tablets" they got for Christmas can surf the web. Oh man, this technology is way beyond me! My biggest fear was knocking the main computer off line, my wife works from home sometimes and has to have it. I guess it's all good, FG came up. I'm going back out to the garage and work on something I "relate" to better. :S

Mark

Re:What other projects for winter? 12 years 4 months ago #53194

My winter projects include new clamps on the '63 Merc1000, brakes for the Power Cat trailer, new back seat for the boat, and hopefully wiring accessories (lights, horn, depth finder) in. got some other minor boat projects. Also I'd like to start installing walls on my pole barn.

I want to tear the interior (such as it is) out of the hot rod and install some small bucket seats I got. Next spring I hope to cut doors into the hot rod as well.

In the meantime, I've been into cleaning stuff out now for a couple years, and finally getting close to where I want to be. Always stuff to do.

I hope y'all had a great Christmas!

Frank

Re:What other projects for winter? 12 years 4 months ago #53211

Mark I have to take my Hat Off to the people who think this shit up. Us old country boys have a hard time with this new stuff. Last year a guy was talking about his new I phone and I told him that I didn't have a phone. He started with the price and all of that bullshit and I told him," No you don't understand I do not own a phone of any kind and don't even have a land line." He looked at me like I had six heads or something.

Re:What other projects for winter? 12 years 4 months ago #53212

I have couple of projects that I would really like to get done this winter, one being getting the garage cleaned out so that the wife can put her new car in it so I don't have to hear about it every day. the secound project is gonna be a hard one. Getting her 30yr old daughter a job so that we can quit supporting her will she lives with her boy friend.I figure if I can get that project done then I will have a couple of bucks to try and start a couple of thigs around the house that the wife keeps bugging me about. Then by the spring I can get back to work on the boat and not have to listen to " When will it be finished, and how much more money?" :S

Re:What other projects for winter? 12 years 3 months ago #53680

Robert, a friend in MN makes walking sticks from diamond willow, very cool.

Aside from working on the MR I have about 1000 Wizard of Oz and L.Frank Buam stuff my mom collected to ebay. I picked up this Surf Caster to learn some surf guitar.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)