Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!)

Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50168

Gregg helped me some this a.m. getting the motor set. Just needed a few things done, but of course, a pain to do. Then I got an email my hoses were done, so off to NAPA. Got home, got all the hoses on REAL tight, filled it with fluid, took it out, extended the ram, retracted it, filled it with more fluid (about 3 gallons, little less), and was splitting wood. Of course, replaced the original motor with an electric start, got that motor starting push button easy!

Many thanks to Ron V, who gave me this baby. It needed some work, but leave it to me to be compulsive about it...

This first log was one I could not split by hand a couple months ago (maple that came over when hurricane Irene came through late August).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50175

Nice machine.

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50176

Thanks Robert. It's been fun, but I'm glad I'm done and splitting wood! My shoulders need a break...

Frank

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50190

Frank,
Awesome, that pile will be nothing in no time! One suggestion for upgrade later. Weld two wedges, one on each side of the main wedge, making a cross. Then when you make a single pass your splitting into four pieces vice two. Just a suggestion. ;) Great set up buddy, wish I had one. I'm still getting my workouts with the axe and splitting wedge! Well at least my arms and Pecs will be back in shape. :laugh:

Bob

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50199

I always enjoyed splitting wood Bob, and have the tools to show it. Unfortunately, my shoulders can't do it anymore. I have to be careful with a 16 oz. hammer, let alone a splitting wedge. So I envy you, trust me!

Still have too many things for a (basically) one armed man to do!

Frank

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50209

Totally understand. I'm trying to enjoy the fact that I can still do it because I know the days are coming when my shoulders will also be yelling at me. Other parts are already! :laugh:

Bob

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50226

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The new splitter looks and works great Frank, nice job!

Mark

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50227

nice job frank,i wish i had ,had one of those years ago,i might not be in as bad of shape today,lol,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50231

You guys must have misunderstood me. The "free" log splitter's name is Gail, but man o man, is she ever high maintenance... :cheer:

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50239

good to see it working again. my friend from conneticut built that for me around 1975. i will be buying a pto driven one in the spring that splits in both directions.

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50240

Wow! It's an antique! Uh, what does that make me?!?

Those pto ones are the best Ron, you'll love it.

Thanks again!

Frank

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50698

Split all the maple I couldn't do by hand a few months ago, plus a whole bunch of pine kindling. Picked up an in-line filter for the hydraulic fluid, will install tomorrow. More to come!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50709

Nice! I'm just now getting to the one that fell down during that Irene pushed down. Had to wait until after the trip and until i got the replacement fence parts. Cut the tree up today and moved it off the fence and replaced the 9' of chain link that was crushed. Now have to wait until it dries out enough to split it.

Bob

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50734

Wow Bob, it's been almost 3 months! What kind of tree, and how big?

Frank

Hydraulic filter 12 years 5 months ago #50741

I think this is about it, unless I do something more with a battery mount. Spin-on hydraulic filter from NAPA, filters to 32 microns.

Got up, made coffee, stained some shelves, touched up the paint on my "new" trailer tongue, then installed this filter set up and it's only 6:30!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50742

Wow, ok, too early for me. Only way I get up that early is with the alarm! ;) The tree was an oak about a foot and a half in diameter. I couldn't cut it up or it would leave the fence open enough for the dog to get out so I had to wait.

Bob

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50745

That's funny Bob. Poor dog!

DVD shelf thing is done, adapted from a cheap grandfather clock I could never get to work right.

On to the next project!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50746

frank, never heard of a filter for the hydraulic fluid on a log splitter. why? great idea for the clock btw.

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50752

Ron, that hydraulic ram and controls were made by Prince Mfg. Corp. The controls are model LS3000, and the owners manual recommends filtering, so that's what I did. Just figured that out yesterday when I was screwing around on the computer just seeing if I could find anything out. Worked out great, Prince is still in business! www.princehyd.com/

Enjoy your day buddy!

Frank

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50767

Frank,
Great idea with the old clock case!
Bob

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50769

Thanks Bob. Gail came home and filled it up. Not big enough, no room for any of my music dvd's...

That's an ornament hanging on a ornament holder on the top shelf that Gail made in a hands-on workshop at the Corning Museum near Keuka Lake last summer.

Attachments:

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50784

great idea frank on the clock and nice work on the splitter.
i just got my mini hoe in the garage yesterday and got off the hose that was leaking,next ill change the hydrolic oil (yep i said oil,this machines hydrolics run on 40 weight oil)and filter,then gas filter and motor oil and filter.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50790

Thanks John!

You been a busy fellow eh? Ya know, now that you mention hydraulic oil, I should check with Prince and see what they recommend. I filled the system with NAPA's R&O hydraulic fluid, maybe that's not what I'm supposed to use.

I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd have a gas powered log splitter and now I do because of Ron V. I never really thought I'd have a back hoe either. Hmmmm..... :laugh:

Good luck with that baby John!

Frank

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50796

yep rons a darn good guy,he would give ya the shirt off his back.
as for the backhoe i can beleive it started so easy after sitting so lonr and when i did start it ,mouse nest blew everywhere,i think it was in the muffler.
and yep ,you should check on it ,like i said my hydros run on motor oil,thats what the company recomends and this thing has been run hard since new in 1988,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Got my "free" log splitter working (finally!) 12 years 5 months ago #50831

My Son Bob has a old Case tractor that used 30 weight motor oil in the transmission. It's not a true hydrostatic but more of a fluid drive. I know one thing and that is it can really push. It has an oil cooler and fan on it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)