Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: copper tubing....

copper tubing.... 12 years 5 months ago #49595

• vuyosevich
  • vuyosevich's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
i have been running up to the poconos between treatments for the last month re-doing the bathroom. ripped out the double sink vanity that was built into the wall and am replacing with a 36" vanity, and installing a new tile floor. everything went along as planned until i tried to make the connection from the faucet lead to the existing copper tubing. i bought all 1/2" connectors (compression). the 1/2 connectors will not thread into the existing fitting, and the 3/8s fit but very sloppy. i believe what i have are 7/16ths fittings. went to various plumbing stores and am told that nothing is made in 7/16ths copper. heres the question...if i load up the 3/8ths fitting with teflon tape on the threads will that work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:copper tubing.... 12 years 5 months ago #49604

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I'm afraid if you try that you will have leaks until it is done right. Are you trying to connect to an existing shut-off valve? Those can be tricky. Most of the house plumbing is 1/2". Get yourself two new undersink shutoff valves with 1/2" sweat on for your existing inlet pipes and the regular screw on ends for your faucet hoses. Soldering copper is a no brainer as long as it's dry.

Re:copper tubing.... 12 years 5 months ago #49605

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
there was no existing shut-off valve. i have the flexible screw on hoses to the faucet, and have mated the other ends to new shut-off valves. the problem is mating the shut-off valves to the existing copper tubing. i've tried 3/8ths and 1/2" couplers and both don't fit. someone thinks that they might of used 7/16ths copper refrigerator tubing thats runs off the 1/2" copper pipe main line to connect to the toilet and sink. to change that all to 1/2" would require a wall rip-out. not going to do that.

Re:copper tubing.... 12 years 5 months ago #49611

ron do you have any pics? i have all kinds of plumbing stuff,and while your hooking it up,you should try to put shutoff valves on your lines,especially since your not the all the time,just shut them all off when you leave,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:copper tubing.... 12 years 5 months ago #49620

Copper tubing is measured by outside diameter and copper pipe is measured by inside diameter. Like oil & water to mix. Copper tubing is used mainly in mobile homes. Try a mobile home dealer for parts. Most rural hardware stores sell fittings for tube. Make sure you ask for tubing shutoff valves.

Re:copper tubing.... 12 years 5 months ago #49642

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
john_gibson wrote:

ron do you have any pics? i have all kinds of plumbing stuff,and while your hooking it up,you should try to put shutoff valves on your lines,especially since your not the all the time,just shut them all off when you leave,john

john, yes i am installing shut-off valves. catfink just gave me the answer. i'll try a place in hawley. we're leavin now to go back up. stayin to thursday ..beautiful weather. skipping my wednesday dialysis.. WHOOP! the doc rarely lets someone miss a treatment. guess i'm doin good. my # up there is 570- 685-7963. my tractor is up there since mid october. as soon as i get the sink hooked up its tractor time. finishing my circular driveway with 3/8ths bluestone chips. will email ya when i get home.no internet up there but it a comin soon. ron

Re:copper tubing.... 12 years 5 months ago #49643

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
CAT*FIN*k wrote:

Copper tubing is measured by outside diameter and copper pipe is measured by inside diameter. Like oil & water to mix. Copper tubing is used mainly in mobile homes. Try a mobile home dealer for parts. Most rural hardware stores sell fittings for tube. Make sure you ask for tubing shutoff valves.

thanks cat....

Re:copper tubing.... 12 years 5 months ago #49676

Sometimes when copper pipes/tubes freeze and swell up large enough I take the same size tube and soder it inside the swollen tubing. See if anyone in your area carries Shark Bite adapters. Expensive but worth the price if you are doing extensive work and need to have the water on.

Re:copper tubing.... 12 years 5 months ago #49706

If you are sure the pipe is 1/2" then do get the sharkbite or gatorbite fitting. You may likely be able to get a single shutoff valve that will have a sharkbite fitting on one end, and threaded on the other to screw on to the tubing from te faucet.
I put them in my new basement sink. 3/8 threaded on one end, sharkbite on the other. Watts was the mfg I believe, and they were at Home Depot. Yellow box with clear window. First ones I bought leaked. (diffferent brand)

look here

Re:copper tubing.... 12 years 5 months ago #49916

• vuyosevich
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
got back from pennsy tonite. i ended up calling a plumber as i couldn't figure it out.(what else is new)
he was able to fit 1/2" over the 3/8ths and solder it. he then installed shark bite fittings over the 1/2" and then installed the shut-off valves. 20 minutes...my parts...$110.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)