Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Reno Air Race...

New Reno Air Race... 12 years 6 months ago #47280

• houston
  • houston's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
the new format for the Reno air race is said to be unmodified Stock motorized Para trikes making five laps...best out of a set of 3...wins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New Reno Air Race... 12 years 6 months ago #47379

lol i don't think that will happen...

Re:New Reno Air Race... 12 years 6 months ago #47648

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
My God it nice to see someone around here can see the humor, just thinking about the Reno Race and what they are saying about it and of course and cloud Dancer crashing....I was like -WTH- would they do..race motorized parakites now?

well that planted a seed in my mind, off to fsx I went, recorded four different Motorized parakites flying a low course pattern over KROC using FS Formation, put the four together as if the four where flying all at the same time together in a three lap heat....and replayed it as a single event....

which I was going to make a screen capture video of it and post it on youtube...but now I am afraid that would give someone some ideas...for our next airshow here.

about FS formation, it recorders the flight datum of the model for playback, not a video playback but the actual 'event' of you flying a model in FSX which you can add to or replay alone, pretty neat if you like formation flying that the pros, the cons it won't record a helicopter which I like helicopters more than airplanes.

Re:New Reno Air Race... 12 years 6 months ago #47724

Ret. USN jet mech and like watching those races. I haven't seen anymore reports on cause. I find it hard to believe that just the aileron coming off wholly caused the crash.Maybe the fact that they modified them played a role but I'm no expert.

I hate helos!!!!!!!lol Accidents waiting to happen.

Re:New Reno Air Race... 12 years 6 months ago #47739

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I mock sim the race in FSX, with one P-51 having a aileron "failure" at the reno track, the results where simply the cause couldn't be placed 100% on just the lost of the aileron, but a combination of the pilot trying to keep the crippled craft with in the FAA "safe-zone" which was probably pure instinct on his part, where as if he could of just vectored out at the same angle when the the failure occurred which he wasn't allowed to fly out in that direction the results probably would of been a survivable controlled crash which still cloud dancer would have been pretty well destroyed.

To take in consideration also it wasn't just a lost of aileron control, the P-51 depends on the trim tabs also, taking in consideration that this wasn't just a failure of the aileron and or the trim tabs as a 'whole', the failure was a part of two systems on one side, both left aileron and trim tab where noticeably damaged and or missing in the pictures I saw. Which when the pilot tried to stay with in the boundary of the course @ 450 to 500 mph in the Sim reenactment a resulted in an sudden pitch an roll that wasn't recoverable giving the altitude, where as 'if' this would have been seven or eight thousand feet could have been recoverable giving the pilots skill level.

Just for the sake of this thread I screen recorded the sim KROC para kite race I made.

Re:New Reno Air Race... 12 years 6 months ago #47743

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
-just a note- the red kite flat spun and stalled in the turn and wasn't high enough to recover..and crashed on the numbers of the runway in the 2ed lap.

Re:New Reno Air Race... 12 years 6 months ago #47747

I watched that Jet Blue TO and I would have been trying to get out the door!!!! LOL

Re:New Reno Air Race... 12 years 6 months ago #47763

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Here yea go joenawlins, I made this a real quick out and back at Friday harbor, I did a quick repaint -back when- and left my name backwards on the tail (honest mistake in DXT-BMP on the repaint).

if you go to to full screen on the video player the videos are in HD.

When flying on-line, and if your with a group of regulars that you have "shared" your model with, will see your repaint...everyone seem to remember me more by the backwards name on the tail...then if it was normal...

Re:New Reno Air Race... 12 years 6 months ago #47781

Still had H-3's when I left. I was a second mech on P-3's and that was my favorite gig. I looked into getting sim programs awhile back but don't remember what happened. I'm kind of suprised that they aren't more realistic with the technology we have now..

Re:New Reno Air Race... 12 years 6 months ago #47791

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well, there is the -bones- of FSX , which is pretty much what I have been showing, then there are add-ons that you can purchase, which they have a photo realistic for North America and other country's.

To make this better, Microsoft is working on the next frontier as they say of the series, which the next one will be simple called -Microsoft Flight-the one of the problems with FSX is that the program itself has a conflict with multicore computers and we see something like my four core processor as a single, which the computer handles alright -but- if the program would utilize my graphic card to it's fullest things I am sure would look better.

as far as 'models' go, you name it they make them, and depending on just how much next to life you want to get will depend on how much money you would like to shell out for a model, there is -A2A simulations- is one I always look for the next model from and -Hover Control- and -Captain Sims- are just some of the company's that make there models like the B-17 and the F4U with direct ex-pilot input about the pre flight procedures, flight handling and landing procedures along with notable quirks and what can be expected to just quit like the landing gear pump on the B-17 can get become a little bit of a PITA sometimes requiring some 'eaz' landings where if you land a bit to hard or...to fast you can expect the gear pump to jam and in one of my videos landing in just under 200 knots (with out flaps 'big mistake)'taking the complete runway to stop, which you got it, off to the hanger to get brakes.

just no way to to treat a lady, which is how you have to fly a B-17 by what I have read and the model reflects every thing you have heard or read about the 17.

Re:New Reno Air Race... 12 years 6 months ago #47861

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
here you go joenawlins, this is a -P3- I have three Catbirds in my inventory which where -free-, free basically blows no manuals and the tog switches may be or may not be labeled where some may do something where other just move. I don't know if there is a pay version

this model is one of the only Crafts I can get to hold up in side a hurricane, which if you use some addon's to FSX like -active weather- and other stuff hurricanes can be simulated real well.

Re:New Reno Air Race... 12 years 6 months ago #47898

That was cool. That might be an A model!! Mad Boom not correct and bomb bay doors not in the right place. The little bit of cockpit it showed looked good.

was on a check ride once and had shut down #4 in flight and instructor had his hat on e handle and went through restart procedure with pilot and of course he didn't say e handle in 1st and after all kinds of checks he took his hat off and we all had a good laugh

Re:New Reno Air Race... 12 years 6 months ago #47904

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Yea that a bit of a problem with the -Free- models, the model was one of the first to be made entirely in G-max, which is still re-paintable with no problems....

here is a taste of what you can added -free- to your inventory

Simviation Military Models

I just D/l the update to the P-3 that was on there with the new smoke system also, but if you have any questions about the where for all about my strange hobby fill free to ask.

The accessory's I use with FSX are simple, a logitech extreme 3d pro programmable joy stick which was pretty cheap off of ebay and a Nostromo N52 programmable 'key pad' which I use on several other program other than FSX also, but a must for FSX.

-added after posting-

Just checked that site and the model I use both have been updated since the model went public last year, which when it went public the guy hosted it on his own website which was in Japanese and 3/4 of the D/l for the model where un-down loadable. I let you know how this works and looks.

Re:New Reno Air Race... 12 years 6 months ago #47925

I've got too much stuff on my plate at the moment and currently running off a notebook but it is something that i eventually might get into. Thx, Joe

Re:New Reno Air Race... 12 years 6 months ago #47986

• houston
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well when you do let me know, I do repaints also.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)