Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Expanding my pole barn

Expanding my pole barn 13 years 6 months ago #18671

Finally got these cedar poles in. Been fighting some kinda low level stomach bug for a week, not fun to do heavy duty stuff. Feel a little better today, so got em dun with help from Gail and Gregg. Should of used 12" sonotubes, but the 10" will have to do. I hand dug each hole to about 30" to a real solid hardpan. Put some concrete in, plumbed the sonotubes, backfilled around the tubes with dirt, compacted it real good, then filled the tubes with concrete and rocks from the holes.

The home made pizza is pretty much a Sunday night thing.

Now all I need is $ to do the roof. :)

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Expanding my pole barn 13 years 6 months ago #18684

damn that looks good. next time we will have to come up on a sunday. :laugh:

Re:Expanding my pole barn 13 years 6 months ago #18695

Just so you know, Gail does make pizza on off days...

Re:Expanding my pole barn 13 years 6 months ago #18847

• Bigfoot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey, thats nice. It looks like a fresh piece of cedar at that. You so have to keep us updated with this project as $$ comes in. If its a add on how about some pics of the current structure. I like sheds, pole barns, outbuildings and so on...Im glad you are sharing...Mike

Re:Expanding my pole barn 13 years 3 months ago #24082

Bigfoot wrote:

Hey, thats nice. It looks like a fresh piece of cedar at that. You so have to keep us updated with this project as $$ comes in. If its a add on how about some pics of the current structure. I like sheds, pole barns, outbuildings and so on...Im glad you are sharing...Mike

thanks mike. this is an add-on to a 12 X 20 existing pole barn (roof is actually 16'). i am expanding it to 12 X 30 by adding a 3rd 10' space to the east end. i am constructing the add-on in the same construction method as the existing structure, except that i'm using all cedar. the add-on will either store the power cat or my hot rod. i really need a secure sealed space with a concrete floor for my hot rod, so along with siding it with t-111 around the east, north and west sides (west is already sided, but with 1/4" stuff which will come off, it probably makes most sense to put the hot rod where the boat (under the tarp) currently is.

too many projects!

frank

Attachments:

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #48193

With the able assistance of my oldest son Gregg and my old Shipmate trailer, we got a bunch of 16' 2X4's this morning, a couple 2X10's and with some hurricane bracing and nails from my shop, got the frame up for the roof over the addition to the pole barn. Should have $ for metal roofing end of next week, get that and some 1X3 lath and get a roof on maybe next weekend. Still have a couple stumps to dig out (bah).

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #48197

What's it gonna take to get some of that pizza. YUM

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #48204

It's gonna take me about a 1/2 hour Robert. Gail's signature Sunday night pizza is cookin!

Frank

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #48231

Perfect end to a great day, Gail's pizza, some home made chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream and home made hot fudge sauce, and a movie. Day is about over, got a lot to do at work tomorrow, just trying to stay employed.

Notice the big bottle of ibuprofen behind where the pizza is sliding off in the 1st pic. A necessary ingredient...

Attachments:

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #48234

OMG.....i'm drooling..

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #48239

I want the ice cream too!! I have plenty of Ibrophrfren since my knee surgery.

Jim Savage

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #48329

Now that's feast I could devour!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah roof framing is looking good too!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #48345

Yuk, yuk, yuk. Other than the cake thing, we devour that feast at least every other week Bob. Gail has been making pizza from scratch for decades now, really kind of her specialty.

Pole barn is coming right along. I got the furring strips for it after work Monday, plus the specialty screws that are used with the grand rib 5 roofing. Hopefully this weekend the roof will be done, and I can work on digging two 16" diameter stumps out. Boat storage!

Frank

Furring strips up 12 years 6 months ago #48398

I under-calculated the amount of 1X3 furring strip I needed, but got most of it done after work tonight with the help (once again) of my oldest son Gregg. Next is metal roofing sheets, 3X8, gonna need 7 of them at 30 bucks apiece.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #48435

Coming along nicely Frank. Always good to have a little extra help when needed. ;)

Bob

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #48461

Thanks Bob!

Now if this weekend, I can get the roof on, 2 stumps dug out, merc off the boat and the boat stored away, I'll be doing good! Grrrrr.

Frank

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #48462

your going pretty good frank,if my backhoe didnt need fixed and i lived alot closer i would dig out those stumps for ya,you arent doing that by hand are ya?
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #48467

I don't have much of a choice John. If nothing else, the ground has lots of water in it. My stepladder feet kept sinking in last night. Easier to dig in wet ground than dry. I'm still not looking forward to it, trust me. Once the roof is on, at least I can do it under cover!

Frank

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #48492

Two words for you, "blasting caps". :laugh: Buddies use to use them up in Michigan.

Bob

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #48520

bob, i think you need a special license to purchase explosives.

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #48524

Not to worry, explosives would be a bit too aggressive for my likes. Backhoe would be more along the appropriate line...

Roof needs to wait anyway. They're predicting snow and below freezing temps over the next week, and I need a new portable garage up before the ground freezes and the snow flies, so that's the big ticket this week. Bah.

Frank

Digging out stumps 12 years 6 months ago #49149

I've had more fun...

I was able to get under one root after an hour digging around it, then concentrating on roots.

Attachments:

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #49153

There you go again Frank stil trying to hurt your back. That kind of work is for the teenager that wants to make some money of just give him a pizza and root beer.
Mike aka the pirate

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 6 months ago #49173

Hey Frank, completely forgot, I have used my pressure washer to expose the roots before. If you have one that can help expose them, just make sure there's nothing close that you don't want dirt on. ;) Mine has around 2300 psi and can basically etch cement if iI leave it in stream mode. Just a thought.

Bob

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 5 months ago #49279

Pressure washer eh Bob? That's really kind of funny, we've been getting power washed by nature for about two months straight! You can literally slip on the grass because the soil underneath is so wet walking back to the pole barn.

Anyways, in part because the ground is so wet, we're making progress. Yesterday I invested in another new tool - a good axe.

Here's an action shot! Gregg swinging that baby...

He got through two major roots.

I got two more, maybe three ready to chop.

I have to get this stump out, and one more before I can back the Power Cat trailer in. When I back it in, the motor will be off (and in my shop for some work), and I intend to suspend the boat from the rafters of the pole barn extension so I can pull the trailer while I do some work on it. I hope to install brakes before spring, and I expect to do some body work on it, and maybe paint it again. Basically, it just needs to be sanded smooth, then maybe spray painted, plus one fender damaged in a tire blow out needs to be fixed, and wiring that was damaged in that same incident needs to be repaired. This year, spare $ is being spent on the trailer, not the boat. We'll see how it goes.

Frank
Attachments:

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 5 months ago #49283

Roots, dig out around them, chainsaw, fast work, chuck chain when finished. Just be carefull.

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 5 months ago #49285

Yeah, I sure was tempted Skip, but I am too attached to my chains. :) Plus it's really the digging out around these roots that takes the time. Also, we're removing a foot or so of each root eventually. This will take a bit longer, but not much.

I'm wondering if I can get any traction with my 4wd pickup when I get all these roots cut, to loop a chain around the stump and pull? I wonder in great part just because the ground around here is still so darn wet. I'm probably gonna give it a try.

Frank

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 5 months ago #49287

I've pulled and cut stumps out of the ground for years. I always found that a nice good sharp ax was the best way to cut roots. I used the chainsaw too but by the time you dug around the root and still ended up having to sharpen the chain anyway I though the ax was better. When doing that kind of work I always left the stump 4-5 feet high and cut a type of keyway near the top for a chain. When using the truck or tractor to pull it gives a lot of lever power to the pull. Always wrap the chain twice around the stump. I've also used my tri-pod and come-a-long to pull straight up. On small trees I would anchor to larger ones and simply pull them out with the come-a-long. Fast and easy. Just my $0.02 worth.

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 5 months ago #49291

Great suggestion Robert, thanks. I would never have thought about using my come-a-long to anchor to a large tree. Hmmmmm....

Frank

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 5 months ago #49340

i pulled many trees out of the ground with my dump before i had a tractor. the key is leverage. the higher you lash the chain the easier to rip out.

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 5 months ago #51070

Got the 1st roof panels up before I got called in this morning. Will finish tomorrow. That's my son Billy doing the work...

Attachments:

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 5 months ago #51084

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
You are truly blessed to have sons that will come over and help with the projects Frank, you should be very proud of them IMO. ;) Lookin' like the barn is coming along great up there!

Mark

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 5 months ago #51099

Thanks Mark! You bet I'm blessed. Didn't get a pic of Gregg helping, but he does all the time, and in fact started this roof install. Roof is on, thanks to Billy (on the left) and Max this morning. Did good. Now it's getting a couple of stumps out, running power, and eventually siding the whole thing. May be some concrete in the distant future as well...

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 5 months ago #51111

Excellent, looking good Frank!

Bob

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 5 months ago #51121

Thanks Bob, the plan works!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 5 months ago #51132

Looking good there. Thats more than i have right now. Keep up the good work.

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 5 months ago #51142

Thanks Skip! Gonna suspend the boat and pull the trailer out for some work. Easier to run brake lines from the top than the bottom...

Lots to do today. Still have a bunch of company, so social demands kind of limit me.

Frank

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 5 months ago #51148

I used the same roof panels on Mom's trailer last week. I didn't get up there. They are nice heavy panels. It looks nice.

Re:Expanding my pole barn 12 years 5 months ago #51153

Thanks Robert, we're doing good. Getting ready to maybe do some painting.

Frank

And now, lights! 12 years 5 months ago #51234

Doing good. Wish I had a good camera and tripod and could get a night shot. The lights we put on this morning have a dusk to dawn timer and had just come on in this pic.

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)