Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 83 Advent

83 Advent 9 years 6 months ago #99750

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1983 MFG Adventurer 300 Sport 14 9 years 6 months ago #99753

Are you sure it's an MFG? MFG itself sold the boat business in late 1980 to a company named Quality Boats and the 1983 brochure for MFG by Quality Boats does not show a boat like this. (Quality Boats licensed the MFG name.). Roger Menard bought that company in late 1983 and moved it else where in PA and made boats until late 1987, before finally going out of business for good.

So it's not clear what you have. I can't find any brand named "Advemturer".

Can you post a picture of the capacity plate showing all the details, if still on the boat? That would give us all more to go on.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:1983 MFG Adventurer 300 Sport 14 9 years 6 months ago #99789

davnau6345 wrote:

Are you sure it's an MFG? MFG itself sold the boat business in late 1980 to a company named Quality Boats and the 1983 brochure for MFG by Quality Boats does not show a boat like this. (Quality Boats licensed the MFG name.). Roger Menard bought that company in late 1983 and moved it else where in PA and made boats until late 1987, before finally going out of business for good.

So it's not clear what you have. I can't find any brand named "Advemturer".

Can you post a picture of the capacity plate showing all the details, if still on the boat? That would give us all more to go on.

Thank you. I read about the company being sold and they had 2 lines and later the "adventurer" line was started. That's all I could find about it. I look at all of the brochures and can not find anything related to this either. I can't even find another picture that looks like this boat.

The capacity plate must have been removed because I can not find it. All it has is the MFG HIN and that's what's on the title.

Re:1983 MFG Adventurer 300 Sport 14 9 years 6 months ago #99797

So the first three characters on the HIN are "MFG"? What are the last four digits/characters of the HIN? We can then decode that to at least get when it was built.

Did you look on the inside of the transom under the motorwell (splashwell) to see if a capacity/manufacturer's plate was under there somewhere?

Nice looking boat. I've never seen one like this, either on the Internet or on the water.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:1983 MFG Adventurer 300 Sport 14 9 years 6 months ago #99798

Thanks.

The HIN is MFG
M83H.

I will check again when I get home from work today to see if it's under there.

I've searched for hours online looking for a picture of this same boat or one very close and I am not coming up with anything! Strange!

Re:1983 MFG Adventurer 300 Sport 14 9 years 6 months ago #99801

I've checked the boat upside down and inside out, there is no plate.

Re:1983 MFG Adventurer 300 Sport 14 9 years 6 months ago #99837

I think I've figured it out. The last MFG branded boats were model year 1980. However, per the Fiberglassics Library article on MFG:

In 1968 MFG Boat Corporation began producing boats for Sears. These models were the Sears Gamefisher and later the Adventurer series boats. The Sears line was produced in Ashtabula, not Union City as one might think. According to one MFG contact, this continued into the very early 80's.

Your boat translates aas made by MFG in March 1983, see:

www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

Your photo shows "Adventurer", not MFG, so I'm thinking it's a Sears Adventurer from 1983. MFG used a modified version of the Challenger hull and deck for these, I think.

So, made by MFG, sold by Sears as a Sears branded boat.

Now, I'm really curious what the first three letters of the HIN for MFG by Quality Boats showed. Does anyone out there have a 1981-1983 MFG by Quality and can say what the first three letters of the HIN are?

I know Menard Boats, per the Coast Guard MIC database, used "ROM" for the first three characters of the HIN on their boats, but I can't figure out from the MIC database what Quality Boats of Union City PA used - there are some inconsistencies there.

Re:1983 MFG Adventurer 300 Sport 14 9 years 6 months ago #99839

davnau6345 wrote:

I think I've figured it out. The last MFG branded boats were model year 1980. However, per the Fiberglassics Library article on MFG:

In 1968 MFG Boat Corporation began producing boats for Sears. These models were the Sears Gamefisher and later the Adventurer series boats. The Sears line was produced in Ashtabula, not Union City as one might think. According to one MFG contact, this continued into the very early 80's.

Your boat translates aas made by MFG in March 1983, see:

www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

Your photo shows "Adventurer", not MFG, so I'm thinking it's a Sears Adventurer from 1983. MFG used a modified version of the Challenger hull and deck for these, I think.

So, made by MFG, sold by Sears as a Sears branded boat.

Now, I'm really curious what the first three letters of the HIN for MFG by Quality Boats showed. Does anyone out there have a 1981-1983 MFG by Quality and can say what the first three letters of the HIN are?

I know Menard Boats, per the Coast Guard MIC database, used "ROM" for the first three characters of the HIN on their boats, but I can't figure out from the MIC database what Quality Boats of Union City PA used - there are some inconsistencies there.

That interesting. So even though my HIN is MFG it's a sears boat. Hopefully I can find more info out about it. I know I cant be the only one out there with this boat!

Re:1983 MFG Adventurer 300 Sport 14 9 years 6 months ago #99968

How can I find out the capacity for my boat since there is no capacity plate and apparently, I am the only person with this same boat in the world. :P

Re:1983 MFG Adventurer 300 Sport 14 9 years 6 months ago #99973

Perhaps we can dig some more.

What does the title show as the model? Perhaps a model number?

I think you are right that you have, if not the only, certainly one of the only of these still around.

Re:1983 MFG Adventurer 300 Sport 14 9 years 6 months ago #99974

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)