TOPIC: Second Owner of a '68 Chevron

Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76905

• dlatshaw
  • dlatshaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank's for letting me join the forum!

We just purchased our first boat. Have a WaveRunner 3 seater but we have 2 kids now...

Bought the Chevron from the son of the original owner. He still had the original bill of sale. He also had all the owners manuals for the boat, Mercury 1000 and the Holsclaw trailer.

The boat has been kept in a heated garage since new. For the price and the shape the boat is in it couldn't be beat! I was looking at boats 30 years newer that looked 30 years older.

Right now i don't have many questions that i probably can't find answers to by searching the forum. Like how to match the Gel coat exactly for some of the nicks, how to get the chrome to shine, and what is best to use for replacing the few torn pieces of vinyl.

Did i mention it has the original seats, and all the original vinyl for the top, windows, and aft cabin? Bow cover and custom cover too.

Well enough talk here are some pics. If anyone can chime in with advice I'll be glad to listen.

Cheers,

dan
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re:Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76906

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here is another.
Attachments:

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re:Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76908

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
One more.

But this one brings up a question. Let me know if it should be in another part of the forum.

The unit might be leaking some water in. After we run it if i check the oil in the lower unit it is kind of grey/white. Also their are 3 screws on the side of it. One to fill it at the bottom, the vent at the top, and one above it marked flush. Something leaks out of there too.

The questions are:

As long as i keep fresh oil in the lower unit will it be OK to run it this season?

Does it make sense to invest in a rebuild of the motor over the winter, or should it be replaced?

It's a 1968 Mercury 1000 inline 6 dual carb with 100 HP.
Attachments:

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re:Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76914

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like you found a very well kept "survivor class" original, congrats and welcome aboard Dan. We've got some great folks here who are always glad to help out, I'll let them advise you on some of your questions.

One thing I might point out on the milky lower unit lube, many times this is as simple as replacing the washer/gaskets on the fill and vent plugs! Definitely worth a try, they're one of the most inexpensive parts you'll ever have to buy. :) We even have some members here who can help you out with O.E. Merc parts, as well as aftermarket replacements.

Mark

Re:Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76917

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Hi, Dan, that's a very clean rig, exceptional condition for its age! I take it that it's fresh-water-use only and you're currently running it in fresh-water as well?

The leakage you're getting sure sounds like bad driveshaft seals to me. On Mercs older than approx mid-70's, the driveshafts were made out of mild steel and would corrode around the seal area, causing oil leaks.

The only way that emulsified gearcase oil would leak from the "flush" plug is if it were coming up thru the driveshaft seals into the water pump.

In your case, with little or no salt-water useage (and very low hours if the condition is any indication of that!), likely you could get away with replacement of the (2) driveshaft seals that reside in the water pump base.

I'd say the worst-case scenario would be some corrosion pits in the seal area, which can be remedied by installation of stainless steel wear sleeves (aka Redi-Sleeve or Speedi-Sleeve).

These sleeves are readily available and relatively simple to install.

If the rubber impeller hasn't been replaced recently (or you don't know when it was last replaced), I'd highly recommend doing so before running it much more.

At the same time, it'll be a good opportunity to pull the water pump base and inspect the driveshaft/replace seals. They're not terribly expensive and are still available.

And considering a new impeller is around $23 from your Merc dealer, it's good insurance. Your motor, in its present condition, is worth well over $1000 and you don't want to burn it up this summer!

That being said, if you keep changing the oil you could "nurse" the lower unit along for a while. Only in fresh water, though. I wouldn't recommend taking it in any salt or brackish water in its current condition.

However, if you keep changing oil in the gearcase all summer, sooner or later you'll spend more on gear oil than you would on replacement parts to fix the problem!

BTW, if it has good compression and is running well, I wouldn't mess with the powerhead's innards. It probably runs better than most 10-yr-old motors out there and I'd much rather work on yours than a new one!!!

HTH...........ed

Re: Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76918

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Dan, I was looking at the hi-res versions of your pics and that rig is really really clean! Don't think I've ever seen a Holsclaw trailer that nice!

With just the least amount of detailing, you should be able to win the "survivor class" at any of many "glassic" and "antique" boat shows!!!

Cheers........ed

Re: Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76919

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ed_mc,

I'm new to the old boat scene, what's "survivor class"?

I have done some RC boats in the past. PT-109 torpedo boat and refurb'd an old run about that my dad brought back from Okinawa in 1968. It only went straigt or in circles before i put in RC.

Thanks for the compliments! I'll add another pic.

I'd do a gallery but don't see how to make one...
Attachments:

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re: Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76920

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
MarkS

I've ordered a pack of 5 washers for $7! I'll give that a try.

Good to be aboard.

Dan
Attachments:

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re:Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76921

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ed,

As far as i know it was 95% fresh water and 5% Chesapeak bay.

Mostly Susquehanna River and Raystown lake. Guess i won't be taking it to the Outer Banks this year!

I have a SELOC book for my Merc that the seller included. I'll read up on the seals you mentioned. I've never worked on an outboard and the last major overhaul i did was rebuilding the carb on my '67 chevy shortbed. That was 15 years ago! I mainly work on computers now.

So is pulling those seals something a green horn could handle?

It seams to have plenty of power. With the 3-blade prop and playing with the trim (last guy put electric trim on her!) we got it up to 35mph at about 3k rpm. If i need to go faster than that i'll take the waverunner! I haven't checked the compression yet.

The local marina is a merc dealer but the seller said they didn't want to work on it because of the age. I'll have to see what they say though. He did give me a name of a guy with a small shop that will help.

Thanks for your help!
Attachments:

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re: Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76928

dlatshaw,

NICE UNRESTORED RIG. WELCOME ABOARD.

LOTS of Merc experts here to ask for help, too.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76934

• MarkS
Survivor Class is a term used for un-restored, un-molested original condition boats Dan. It is a rare and wonderful treat to find one in the great shape yours is in, someone obviously took very good care of her throughout the years. (I feel sure I'm not the only one who is very envious of your nice find! LOL )

The sweet Merc1000 you have is also highly sought after, a mechanical engineering marvel in it's own right. You might like to start a thread in the "Mercury Outpost" section for questions on the motor. Ed is one of the top shelf experts - and there are a few others who might like to check her out over there. Keeping the old girl in tip top condition will be much easier with his/their input.

Thanks again for sharing your Glassic find with us, it's refreshing to see that there are still a few left out there to be found in that fine condition! ;)

Mark

Re:Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76939

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
satx - thanks for the compliment!

MarkS - Thanks for the clarification. I will start a thread in the "Mercury Outpost" once i get some pics and more specific questions about the motor.

So do you guys think $3000 was a fair price to pay for this boat, motor, and trailer?
Attachments:

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re:Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76941

• MarkS
dlatshaw wrote:

So do you guys think $3000 was a fair price to pay for this boat, motor, and trailer?

IMHO, Yes. Most quality restorations cost twice that much, or even more if you have someone else do it for you! Just my two cents worth, but I'd say you did well.

Mark

Re:Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76943

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
MarkS wrote:

dlatshaw wrote:

IMHO, Yes. Most quality restorations cost twice that much, or even more if you have someone else do it for you! Just my two cents worth, but I'd say you did well.

Hah! Can you call my wife and tell her that?! ;)

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re:Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76944

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Beautiful boat! I think you did very well.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 11 months ago #76947

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Rick!

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re:Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 10 months ago #78651

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
So we had the Chevron out this weekend. It was 80 out and the seats were HOT!

Would white seats stay cooler?

Also, i have all of the original "convertable top" vinyl for the boat. But when you put it up it's just above your head, like in my old Fiat Spyder years ago...

My idea was to raise that convertable top a few feet. Has anyone ever done this before?

I can post some pics of the top on if that'll help. But i'd have to attach the top again. It's a LOT of snaps.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Re:Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 10 months ago #78667

• MarkS
They make some white terry cloth covers for the lounge seats, or you could bring along some white towels to lay over the seats.

www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Universal-Cotton/Poly-Lounge-Seat-Cover&i=71913&aID=601C9&merchID=4006

Mark

Re:Second Owner of a '68 Chevron 10 years 10 months ago #78669

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
MarkS,

Thanks for the link. I had a look at them and think I'll order a set.

We tried the towels but our youngest kept sliding off the seat!

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7287 guests and no members online