Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New member - MFG Westie restoration begins

New member - MFG Westie restoration begins 9 months 4 days ago #148226

Hey All, I’m new here. I just acquired a late 60s Westie for free! It’s going to be lots of work but I’m up for the challenge. Obvious first areas of attention with be a transom rebuild and ripped up floor to see what’s under there.

Any advice on how to cautiously inspect the floor and stringers without cutting the whole floor out?

Thanks and looking forward to learning from you all

Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New member - MFG Westie restoration begins 9 months 1 day ago #148248

MFG used all fiberglass construction, only the transom was wood. I had a '63 Niagara and it was a really sturdy boat, I wish I never sold it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: prusso_

New member - MFG Westie restoration begins 8 months 3 weeks ago #148268

Thanks for the reply!

I went ahead and removed the floor. The foam in between the stringers was super waterlogged and heavy, but was easy to remove. As for the transom, the wood was like potting soil. I managed to get it all cleaned out for the repair. Removed the inside layer of glass to access this.

My next question(s) is I have two drain holes in the stern. One is obviously the main drain hole for deck water. But the other is connected to the cavity within the middle stringer. I get the idea, it's a bilge drain, but I'm not sure how this would be effective if the cavities were filled with foam.

When I re-foam should I install a bilge pump that connects to this drain? If so, where should I locate the pump?

Also, should I foam the cavity in the bow?

New member - MFG Westie restoration begins 7 months 2 weeks ago #148406

I chose not to refoam. I like the idea of a bilge down there. Might need to add some more ventilation i believe there is only a tiny 1/8" air tube near bow eye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: prusso_

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)