• Page:

TOPIC: need help

need help 6 years 2 days ago #135993

• 79cj
  • 79cj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
hey guys new to boating and new to this forum would like to thank you for having me. I bought a boat the title says molded fiberglass 1960 but I don't know anything else about it other then that. I will see if I can figure out how to put pictures on here of what I am working with any information would be awesome. I picked it up for me and my son to go out in the whole thing needs to be redone the wires, flooring, paint, keel, there is a chip in the glass where you hook the wench to pull the boat on the trailer and that eye is loose. so I maybe on here a lot asking tons of questions sorry for that in advance some people seem to get annoide with me about that. I like to try and do all the work myself if I can. again if anyone has insight on what I have that would be great again thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

need help 6 years 2 days ago #136004

I'm new on here so I can't speak for everyone but isn't that why this forum is here? I say, ask away!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 79cj

need help 6 years 21 hours ago #136014

The boat is either an MFG Oxford or Waterford. If it has just a forward seat, then the latter; if two seats, then the former.

It was based on the original hull MFG introduced in 1955. As it has a fiberglass deck, it's a later version made from 1969-1961. It was replaced by the Niagara model in 1962.

With that V4 Evinrude, it is significantly overpowered. It was rated for 40hp, and that motor has at least 60, and more likely 75. Plan on getting a smaller motor. A 2-cylinder 40hp Johnson or Evinrude from that era would be perfect Your motor is a V4 Evinriude that weighs twice as much.

It looks like it will need some significant fiberglass repairs. Even ahead of fixing the bow and keel check the trnsom. Unless it has been replaced at some point, it's likely rotted out inside. (These, and many other boats, used plywood sandwiched inside two layers of fiberglass.) To do it right is significant work for a DIY'er, but can be dome. My brother did it on his 1965 Edinboro, and many others here have done it. Use SeaCast or CarbronCore CarbonBond. Hardest part of getting out all the old rotted wood between the layers of fiberglass, and to do it right, the interior skin sould really be removed to get a proper bond.

Please post some additional pictures of the transom both from inside and outside the boat, plus more along the whole length of the keel and bow areas, along with the interior of the boat.

The blue stripe on the hull was painted on by some owner. From the factory, the hulls were always an off-white.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

need help 6 years 21 hours ago #136015

In looking at the lower gear-case of the motor, it's a 75, as that gear-case was only on electric (push-button) shift models, and was not offered on the 60hp mode. It's way overpowered and that motor is too heavy for the boat. The boat takes a short shaft, and your's is short shaft 75hp. It could be sold, as almost all sold were long shaft models, so if someone needs a short shaft, they are hard to find.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

need help 6 years 21 hours ago #136016

• 79cj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I will get more pictures of the boat up but the interior there was nothing there but a sheet of plywood and 2 pedistall seats in which I figured was not fight I have been looking for a while on how to make this boat right and its really hard to find things on a boat u know nothing about.

need help 6 years 20 hours ago #136017

• 79cj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
here are the pictures I have as of now

need help 6 years 20 hours ago #136018

• 79cj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
crap the file is to big can I send them to your email if I can figure out how and if you like u can post them on here. I read somewhere it give u a chance to play with your tablet I think or something to that nature

need help 6 years 20 hours ago #136019

• 79cj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
some files that are small enough

need help 6 years 17 hours ago #136020

• 79cj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I know u said the boat motor is over powered but the tag on it says 60hp

need help 6 years 5 hours ago #136023

On the motor - in looking again, yes that could well be a 60, and of the tag says it, then it is. Still too much power and weight for the boat, but that's up to you. At full throttle, that boat would be quite a hand-full.

You can email anything you'd like to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Beside posting here, I would highly recommend joining the Antique Outboard Motor Club International (AOMCI) and the Antique and Classic Boat society (ACBS). There are local chapters all over the country. Where are you located?

need help 6 years 5 hours ago #136024

Also checkout the Glassic Library here for MFG info:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=MFG

need help 5 years 11 months ago #136056

• 79cj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
did you get the email

need help 5 years 11 months ago #136079

• 79cj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
more pictures of my project

need help 5 years 11 months ago #136140

• 79cj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
finally had a little time today to fiddle fart around on the boat really just wanted to see if the motor would turn over. last year when I bought the boat tried turning the motor over and it wouldn't found out it was in gear. figured out how to get it out of gear hooked up the battery and now she spins :)
the cables are froze up on the controller and one is in rough shape so guess I will be looking for new ones. seen some water coming out the keel where someone tried to patch before so have to get that sealed up for sure. ok well thanks for reading post more when I do more happy boating everyone

need help 5 years 10 months ago #136577

• 79cj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
hey davnau6345 I think it's a Waterford cant really tell on the brochure with the oxford but the light in the back is the same on my boat as the Waterford

need help 5 years 10 months ago #136607

Might be. The only difference between the Oxford and Waterford was that the former has a rear seat and forward seat, while the Waterford just had the forward seat.

The thing that throws me on yours is the extended gunwhale portion of the deck into the interior of the boat. That was a 1961 feature, but sometimes MFG introduced mid-year changes. It's the only one I've seen like it if a 1960. I still think it might be a 1961 Oxford, but with the seats gone...

need help 4 years 9 months ago #139931

Thanks to everyone and the author for the advice.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6835 guests and one member online