Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1979 MFG Morrison - Info Needed

1979 MFG Morrison - Info Needed 8 years 10 months ago #111334

Hello, I'm new to the forum but I've browsed it before in the past. I have a 1979 MFG Morrison that I'm looking to restore and I need some basic information on how the boat was constructed. I know some of the basics I think. It appears to be molded fiberglass hull with a molded fiberglass upper that fits on top. The "bilge" and the fuel tank locker seem to sit on top of the hull, but I would like to know if there are stringers or not. I think I see stringers along the sides through the small square hole just aft of where you step into the cuddy cabin. The cabin itself seems to rest on the hull too based on what I can gather from peering in the various storage areas and my feeble attempts at getting digital pictures of the voids by sticking a camera in there.

My main issue is the boat has a leak somewhere which I suspect is coming from the scuppers in the stern. However the boat was also neglected for years and the voids on either side of the bilge and fuel locker were always full of rain water and racoons that called it home for a while. I know the foam is shot and if there is wood that was not glassed well, it will be rotten and water logged. There are soft spots in the floor, particularly where the helm is. But as far as its ride goes, the thing is rock solid as far as I can tell. I've had it out a bunch in very rough seas (Smithtown Bay of the LI Sound).

Input is appreciated, thanks.

*Edit* The boat is a 20' with an outboard on it. I know the 22' model had an I/O.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1979 MFG Morrison - Info Needed 8 years 10 months ago #111612

pictures i know the older ones have glass stringers like 4 inches wide at the top and taper down about 6 inches tall. i would like to see cabin pictures i am rebuilding mine 60 sea cruiser 21 foot and my cabin was at the most on its last leg , so get a few pictures and i was told to drill a small hole about the size of the coat hanger then probe down to see how much space you have between the floor and the hull that will give you an idea of what you have under there and if it is like mine the foam was water logged ... soaked so pictures get to the top of the list around here.
Attachments:

Re:1979 MFG Morrison - Info Needed 8 years 10 months ago #111613

So the stringers were wood that was glassed over? Or just molded fiberglass stringers? I have to work on getting pictures. My boat is very much intact and in decent condition I think so I'm reluctant to start tearing up the floor. I do have to get a digital camera in there on a selfie stick or something and try to snap some photos of what is going on below deck.

Thanks.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)