Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mercury/Super Thunderbolt (Iekhaefer Mark 58A)

Mercury/Super Thunderbolt (Iekhaefer Mark 58A) 14 years 1 month ago #2180

I have a 1959 Crosby Capri and I believe the Mercury/Super Thunderbolt Mark 58A outboard is original motor that came with it; I thought I'd ask the experts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Mercury/Super Thunderbolt (Iekhaefer Mark 58A) 14 years 1 month ago #2182

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Well.....I am no expert but it sounds like you might have a 1959 Crosby Capri and I believe a Mercury/Super Thunderbolt Mark 58A outboard motor. It is possible that that was the original motor purchased with the boat.

I am stepping away from the keyboard now. I think I will have an adult beverage!

Post some pictures of your boat and motor please. I always liked the Crosby's. Years ago I remember reading an article in the Antique Outboarder about an endurance run they did with a Crosby that had 2 Mark 58's on it and they ran it up the Mississippi River.

Re:Mercury/Super Thunderbolt (Iekhaefer Mark 58A) 14 years 1 month ago #2184

While you are kicking back sipping your adult beverage you can look at the picture of the Crosby/Capri with Mercury/Super Thunderbolt Mark 58A outboard. :cheer:
Attachments:

Re:Mercury/Super Thunderbolt (Iekhaefer Mark 58A) 14 years 1 month ago #2197

The 58A was the 1959 model of the Super Thunderbolt so it is possible.
Any chance of you posting larger pictures??
I have attached a picture of a set of twin 400 Mercs I restored last year for the fellow driving the PowerCat.
Thom
Attachments:

Re:Mercury/Super Thunderbolt (Iekhaefer Mark 58A) 14 years 1 month ago #2284

leonaiz2

I also have a 59 Capri Delux Custom just like yours, mine came with a 59 Mark 55AE & Ive seen originals with Evinrudes as well, so it was up to the dealer what motors came with them, Im thinking.
gotta love the dashboard in these rare boats eh, a copy of 56-57 Corvette dash

I am going to put a Merc 1000 on mine this spring, I need a bit more power for high speed tubing & I have a 36ft parasail to try to pull this summer

Does your Crosby have the Capri Emblem on the dashboard? mines missing & im looking for one or another possibility is to get a plaster of paris mould made from one

do you have any upholstery if so any possibility of a pic of your seats

g3jim

I read a few old articles about these boats and in its time it was considered the fastest hull & apparently the astronaut Allan Sheppard raced one in APBA

Re:Mercury/Super Thunderbolt (Iekhaefer Mark 58A) 14 years 1 month ago #2285

here are some pics of the Crosby I just picked up a few weeks back

Just started the resto yesterday
this was a Sherriff patrol boat in Washington then one of the cops bought it ....2 owners & came with a 1958 Holsclaw trailer
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6482 guests and one member online