Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Old Merc fasteners

Old Merc fasteners 14 years 1 month ago #1953

There are a number of fasteners I want to replace on my '63 1000. Can I just assume any fasteners I need (or want) should be stainless steel? A few nuts are rusty, obviously plain steel, but Merc didn't use plain steel did they?

Thanks for any advice!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Old Merc fasteners 14 years 1 month ago #1955

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Frank, I noticed the same problem on my 62 700 FGS, but look what google just taught me;

3. Can stainless steel rust? Why? (I thought stainless did not rust!)

Answer: Stainless does not "rust" as you think of regular steel rusting with a red oxide on the surface that flakes off. If you see red rust it is probably due to some iron particles that have contaminated the surface of the stainless steel and it is these iron particles that are rusting. Look at the source of the rusting and see if you can remove it from the surface. If the iron is embedded in the surface, you can try a solution of 10% nitric and 2% hydrofluoric acid at room temperature or slightly heated. Wash area well with lots and lots of water after use. Commercially available "pickling paste" can also be used. See "The Care and Cleaning of Stainless Steel" for more information.

:laugh:
The nuts holding the gear case hsg to the dsh, especially under the cav. plate are really rusted. (I just reused them with locktite to replace the worn self-locking part.) Probably would be better to replace with ss self-lockers, since yours is going to be a beauty!

Mark

Re:Old Merc fasteners 14 years 1 month ago #1972

yes they were steel then they changed to stainlessin the mid 60's.

Re:Old Merc fasteners 14 years 1 month ago #2004

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Frank, I have (maybe had) a catalog at work for a stainless hardware supplier, I'll check today when I go in for a while before my doctor appt. I was flipping thru it a few months ago, dreaming mainly. That stuff is kinda pricey but probably worth the extra money. Not sure about the box quantities, wouldn't be 1/2 as bad if we split 'em. I will let you know tonite.

Big snow storm blew thru here yesterday, headed your way now. Hope it fizzles out before it gets to you, I know you're tired of shoveling buddy! Hang in there, they tell me spring is coming?

Mark

Re:Old Merc fasteners 14 years 1 month ago #2029

No big deal Mark, I just buy stainless stuff at Lowe's when I need it. I don't need to replace everything, just a few things that are rusted. Thanks for the offer though!

We got a bit of light snow today, but temps are above freezing, so it's not sticking. Supposed to be nice, even sunny, through to next Monday. I'll probably spend a little time over the weekend trying to get through the plowed up snow that currently acts as a barrier to getting to my Power Cat. Also, I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy an HVLP gun and give up on this brush stuff.

Take care, and good luck!

Frank

Re:Old Merc fasteners 14 years 1 month ago #2031

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Merc used steel on the powerheads from the 50's 60's 70's and some SS on underwater fasteners depending on year.
Pay attention to the grade of fastener, for the most part the steel ones Merc used were grade 5. Stainless may not be as strong depending on what you purchase. I use steel to hold the case halfs together, but use Stainless for the waterjacket areas where strength is less of an issue. Use the steel fasteners as original for the dynafloat mounts as strength here is critical. Lower unit studs are SS but nuts may not be, it's OK to switch.
NEVER use anything less than original on flywheel fasteners, if you are messing with them!!! The 1000 is the first Merc to use the flexplate style flywheel. Personally I would not touch one, just find another clean one if needed.
The best source for fasteners I have found is McMaster-Carr, just search under there name and their site will come up.
They have a deal with UPS where your stuff will arrive next day at ground rates. The are on-line with an easy ot follow catalog and you cna use credit cards with them.
Beware Lowes will have inferior grade strength fasteners, it's all made in China and purchased based on price. Not all stuff from China is bad IF it meets specs for the fastener.
18-8 and 316 are pretty common stainless alloys. Mcmasters site will explain all the variations of alloy and performance differences.

Re:Old Merc fasteners 14 years 1 month ago #2035

Jim, you use a lot of descriptions for where this stuff is, but this is my first outboard, so I'm not following along much except I know what the flywheel is and I ain't touching fasteners there.

I have one or two nuts that hold the powerhead to the lower 1/2 of the motor that look rusty, while the others look fine. That was what I originally posted about really. Seems to me there are others I don't like the looks of, but they're all taped, can't see them till I'm done painting, maybe this weekend. When I get to that point, I'll post some specific pics.

I built a hot rod from scratch years ago, and got a very good education on fasteners at the time, so I understand at least the concept you're trying to suggest. I bow to your experience sir, and will be back with more specific questions in a week or so, or maybe just when you come over, if that's sometime this month. There is no rush here.

Thanks!

Frank

Re:Old Merc fasteners 14 years 1 month ago #2100

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Frank, It's Randy not Jim! :-) but Jim knows a lot too!
SS nuts would be fine for the Powerhead studs. Beware that it is a fine pitch so your hardware store may be a better bet than Lowes, my local hardware store has a wide selection of specialty hardware. Lowes, the Depot etc. generally have coarse thread sizes.
Randy
P.S. Weather has slowed plans to come see the Custom Craft but still planning on it!

Re:Old Merc fasteners 14 years 1 month ago #2125

Oh man, sorry Randy. It's that "g3" in the user name that gets me. Sometimes I'm just not all there...

I have a good friend that works in one of the larger fastener places in Albany. He knows this stuff real well, and can usually get me about anything I need.

Supposed to be nice this weekend (sunny, 45), come on over, take a look. I should be here.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8214 guests and no members online