Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New voltage regulator for my '63 Merc1000

New voltage regulator for my '63 Merc1000 13 years 6 months ago #19022

Got my new voltage regulator today. I plan on mounting it to the bracket that serves to lock the front cover plate into place, and is also where the rectifier is mounted. Sierra part # is 18-5743. I got it at NAPA. Here's a pic and the ground instructions.

Thom Adams (Doc) already told me how to wire it. Yellow to the wires that went to the rectifier, red bundled together to the solenoid, gray ignored. Makes sense to me. Winter project once the motor is off the boat and in my shop. Looks like there's a chance I may be able to get out once maybe twice more before pulling the motor. We'll see.

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New voltage regulator for my '63 Merc1000 13 years 6 months ago #19083

Frank,
I don't recall whether or not I told you, but the gray wire is the tach sender wire used with the tachometers that read off the stator and have a 6 pulse (not cylinder) setting to use on the back of the tach.
If you are using a tach that reads off your ignition then you would simply tape it off as you wrote.
Thom

Re:New voltage regulator for my '63 Merc1000 13 years 6 months ago #19097

Yep Doc, ya told me dat. I thought fer sure I kept a Word copy of all that stuff, but nope, cannae find it. Looks pretty simple though, just yeller to yeller, tie da reds togetter and run to the same post on da solenoid I got one runnin from da rectifier now (yer da one clued me in on dat little trick). Gray fer da tach, tape off.

Colder than a witch's you-know-what here. 43 and windy. Just washed my pickup, near froze my little fingers off, but she's clean now, with sunny days predicted fer the next week. Debating pullin da motor this weekend, but am diggin out big stumps instead. Need a merc stump grinder!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:New voltage regulator for my '63 Merc1000 13 years 6 months ago #19139

Looks like you have a real project in front of you with that stump.
Back-in-the-day, when I was removing stumps in the yard I would dig 'em down until I could get under 'em a bit and then burn 'em off.
Once a fire is started I would put the vacuum hose onto the exhaust of my shop vacuum and then a long piece of 2" water pipe onto that and keep the fire really roaring with the vacuum's air flow.
A leaf blower would probably work just as well.
I doubt a guy can get away with burning stumps in most areas in this day and age where they don't even allow slash burning any more in logging ops, etc.
The stump burning makes a great 'recreational fire' for hot dogs and smores when kept under a 4 foot diameter.
And to stay on topic,...A perfect way to eliminate 'the enemy'.
:)
Thom
Attachments:

Re:New voltage regulator for my '63 Merc1000 13 years 6 months ago #19148

Darn Doc, if only I had a j-rude here, I'd be all set!

Got more done, under three major roots, but had to quit. Got this nagging back problem you probably know nothing about... yuk,yuk,yuk.

Once I get the major roots cut, this baby will get burned. We live in the boonies and can do that sort of stuff legally here.

Found those VR instructions you gave me too. They were so straight forward I actually remembered them accurately! May start on pulling the outboard today, but not sure how much I can still do AND make it to work tomorrow. Just gotta be careful I guess. We'll see. Right now I'm gonna go lay down!

Frank
Attachments:

Re:New voltage regulator for my '63 Merc1000 13 years 6 months ago #19152

holy s--- frank...are you nuts tryin to dig that up. is it in the way of something? cut the main roots,put some water in da hole (that will soften it up) hook up a chain and try to pull er with the truck.

Re:New voltage regulator for my '63 Merc1000 13 years 6 months ago #19162

I got a better idea...

Then out right at dusk...

Man o man, it's great having neighbors with backhoes!
Attachments:

Re:New voltage regulator for my '63 Merc1000 13 years 6 months ago #19163

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hope you thanked him with the appropriate beverage.

Re:New voltage regulator for my '63 Merc1000 13 years 6 months ago #19165

Not tonight Kerry, I wasn't expecting him. He's my next door neighbor though, and I know the poison he likes... :laugh:

Frank

Re:New voltage regulator for my '63 Merc1000 13 years 6 months ago #19176

Dynamite works well too. As long there are no foundations or basemenst close by. :woohoo:

Re:New voltage regulator for my '63 Merc1000 13 years 6 months ago #19180

Frank/Thom,

Is that only a regulator, or is there a diode bridge in there too?

Frank - with your doctor bills for your back - have you checked on the price of hiring a stump grinder. I had 4 stumps taken out by a guy for $ 130.00 last year

Re:New voltage regulator for my '63 Merc1000 13 years 6 months ago #19183

Bruce, Thom would have to be the guy to answer that. This VR is a sealed deal, I have no clue what's in it. I just trust Thom to steer me right!

Got a better deal on the stumps. Neighbor with a backhoe. Where he's working right now I want to take 2 or 3' of dirt off anyways, so backhoe is perfect. That only costs vodka. :) I got a big oak stump I need to get rid of, gonna try burning it out.

I believe limited physical activity is helping my back. I "listen" to my body nowadays, and know when to quit.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

noimage
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)