Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Starter/solenoid ground questions

Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16882

I'm completely befuddled here folks. Got a good strong ground from the solenoid to the starter here:

Got a ground on the solenoid to the bolt that holds it to its bracket here:

But to start the motor, I have to put a piece of steel (conductor) across the base of the solenoid (see where the red paint is off?) to the bracket that holds the solenoid under the starter:

This all seems to be because I cannot tighten the nut on the starter stud that's visible in the first two pics. The stud is stripped, and I figured I'd just run a ground to fix it for now, but how and where?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Frank
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16883

Frank

the piece you painted red at the arrow touching the braided ground strap....is it painted on the side that touches the ground strap? you may need to scrape some paint off
Attachments:

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16884

I haven't had any problems with this all year, and you think maybe that's it? I'll check it out.

I wonder too if I should replace that 47 year old braided strap with a 10 ga one? I had to do that for the old strap that grounded to the bonnet on the forward port side. It had just disintegrated.

I want to be able to start my motor from the driver's seat alone. Right now I have to have somebody turning the key while I make the ground contact. Sheeeesh!

Frank

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16886

yes I think that paint may very well be an issue just use a jumper wire to bypass it to ground it and you will know

I was also going to suggest you test the braided cable for continuity

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16908

Pete (delray) called me earlier and got me going. I got the nut off that starter stud, and ran a thread chaser on the stud. Stud threads are still not in great shape. Nut was no good, so I got another nut, tightened right up.

Took off that braided cable, made a new 10 ga. one. Sanded the red paint off where the bolt holds the ground strap, installed that.

No change in operation. Turn the key on, still goes "click, click." No vroom, vroom at all. Not good. It's dark out now, so 1st light in the a.m., I'll get some help, see if I can start it like I did before, holding a piece of steel across where the red paint is off in that pic above.

Been running this thing all year, no problems. Why now ya think? Something I'm missing obviously. Replace the solenoid?

I'd be interested in yer thoughts. Thanks!

Frank

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16914

not seeing it in person or hearing it ... another thing it could be is a stuck brush inside that would do what its doing ... takin it apart will tell you ...

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16917

Frank
run a jumper cable from the positive of the battery to the positive on the starter to make certain the starter spins OK, sounds to me there is still a bad connection somewhere if your certain you have cleaned all wiring connections related to the starter , solenoid and battery cables including the "CobraHead plug" in the side of the lower cowl.... replace the solenoid if you have a spare

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16918

Check the voltage at the solenoid start terminal it should not be under 9.6 volts when you turn tne switch to start I have had two
wiring harness with bad wires next to the plug at the moter
Charles

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16934

charles wrote:

Check the voltage at the solenoid start terminal it should not be under 9.6 volts when you turn the switch to start I have had two wiring harness with bad wires next to the plug at the motor Charles

Charles, how can I check that? I have a multimeter around here somewhere, but no clue as to how to use it.

First thing this a.m., in the dark and cold (about 45 here this a.m.), I went out and ran an old battery cable from positive of the battery to the starter lug. Vroom, vroom. So the starter is fine. I had a spare solenoid, didn't look in great shape, but figured I would try it. Get it on, everything hooked up, everything tight, try to start it, click, click. Solenoid could be bad, no clue. Can't order one from NAPA until Monday. Checked last week, none in town, would have to come from Syracuse. Only problem is the mounting is wrong, but figure I could get it in there somehow. Pic below.

I wish there was some easy way to test these solenoids or anything else that might be the culprit!

Frank
Attachments:

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16935

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Charles is referring to (I believe) checking the large post on the solenoid with the fat red wire coming from the harness for 12V (constant). Then check the other large post on the other side of the solenoid, (fat black wire running from the solenoid to the starter) which should have 12V when the switch is activated (when you turn the key to start). Your multimeter should have a 12V DC setting, black wire to ground and red to the post/terminal you're checking.

If the solenoid is clicking, you're getting juice to the small + terminal which is what tells the solenoid to connect and sent juice to the starter. Many times the contacts inside the solenoid will corrode with age, and/or arc which eats away the contacts. The spare may very well be shot as well. The above mentioned test will tell you if that is in fact the problem.

Mark

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16937

Okay, my kid got up and grabbed his multimeter. I have more than 9.6 volts at the yellow wire, mostly 10-13+. I have no power at the solenoid lug that goes to the starter. I have 12V at the lug from the battery. Seems like both solenoids are bad. I'm not sure if this was the right way to do it, but we tested the 1st solenoid (the one I took off this a.m.) and it didn't have continuity across the large lugs either.

Frank

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16960

If you do it carefully you can drill out the rivets on the solenoid and turn the contacts around and that will make it almost like new. I have done that for years as long as the magnet winding are good. Just a thought for you to try till you get a good one.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16969

Tried that before leaving this a.m. Mike, no luck. Thanks for the idea!

Frank

Vroom, vroom 13 years 7 months ago #16985

Rigged a new solenoid in (Echlin ST81), not easy, but works and fits. My old buddy who is manager of the NAPA I used to work at sold it to me saying "trust me." It works. When I interchange the Sierra Marine # to Echlin, I get ST542 and ST71, so I don't know what to think except my motor now starts from the helm!

Frank

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16993

internally the connections in the solenoid may have had resistance
glad its fixed

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16995

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Glad to hear you got her going again Frank. Good parts guys/gals can be worth their weight in gold sometimes, huh! ;)

Mark

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #16998

Thanks Mark. I've always said good parts guys should get paid a LOT more $.

Frank

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #17003

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Good to hear ya got it fixed Frank!!!

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #17015

Pete, got it figured out. Got my old one back on working. Need some 1/2" ss pan head machine screws, but she's on and working fine. Thank you for the suggestions. Between you, Bernie and Dave Bernard, I count myself fortunate to have good friends patient enough to help me out. Sure was good talking with you the other night too. Enjoy your day sir!

Frank

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #17028

what was the problem & how did you figure it out

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #17038

Drilled the rivets out, found major corrosion. Sanded all the contact stuff shiny, re-assembled.

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #17040

Yep...thats what I thought

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #17043

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Aww shucks Frank ya made me blush. No just kidding and yes a lot of great people on here to help out!

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #17097

Frank - is your new solenoid a Marine grade one? Reason I ask is there IS a difference. Marine solenoids are sealed to prevent sparking that could cause a fire. WIth open carb mouths inches away, that is a good thing... I am sending a solenoid down with Brian.
- Scott

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #17099

No it isn't Scott. I repaired the original one best I can, but it's still not working 100%. I think it's the ground wire inside that comes off the coil. It's very short and I think it's why I have erratic operation.

I sure appreciate your sending a solenoid for me back with Brian. If nothing else, I've gotten real good at removing and installing this baby!

Thanks,

Frank

P.S. I think Brian said all I needed to do is reimburse his gas for the trip... ;)

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #17152

Frank sorry I could not get into the site most of the weekend but that is what I meant to do it told you that the switch circuit was
good and the solenoid was bad had to do this many times on Harley's

Charles

Re:Starter/solenoid ground questions 13 years 7 months ago #17154

Thanks Charles, we'll see how she goes. I really hope to get one or two more rides in this season before I pull the motor and store the boat.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1958 Performer Havoc 14 ft
( / Boats)

1958 Performer Havoc 14 ft
05-24-2024

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)