Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Merc 1150 Throttle actuator link sync issue

Merc 1150 Throttle actuator link sync issue 8 years 2 months ago #120894

I have a 1974 Mercury 1150 that is having timing issues. I have followed the link and sync on you tube. but having issue. At 5 deg advance, where the throttle actuator should be touching the carb throttle lever, i have about a 1/4 gap. I have adjusted the collar all the way forward, so the actuator should be at the throttle, but it is not. I have verified my distributor timing and alignment. The unit was having trouble returning timing down after running so i replaced the horse shoe spring. I have completely removed and cleaned the distributor and fresh grease so there is no drag. I am stuck at this point and can not figure out why it wont touch. if I connected the linkage, it will touch, but then the timing will not return to back. Here is pic of alignment at 5 deg and spark on cyl 1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Merc 1150 Throttle actuator link sync issue 8 years 2 months ago #120895

I tried to post pics, but files to large, will upload pics in a moment.

Re:Merc 1150 Throttle actuator link sync issue 8 years 2 months ago #120897

is old dry grease holding things from moving.

Re:Merc 1150 Throttle actuator link sync issue 8 years 2 months ago #120898

No old grease was a problem early on, but I had taken the entire thing apart and cleaned like new and added new grease. However, I think I might have found the problem. I believe the horse shoe spring was too tight between the dist and actuator. I have tweaked it and redid the link and sync. it all lined up now. i am able to get full throttle with 20 deg advance and 0 deg at idle with full close on carb. Will test run in the morning and report back. Thanks for the input.

Re:Merc 1150 Throttle actuator link sync issue 8 years 2 months ago #120924

Ok, unit ran much better this morning. I haven't put timing light on yet to verify, because the carbs started leaking. removed and checked, clean and has upgraded needle and seats already. reset the float levels and put back together. during process, i have been having issues with the starter Bendix not staying engaged. so disassembled, cleaned and lubed. put back on. after reassembly, pulled out of garage, put water boot on and tried to start. unit spun about 10 sec and fired right up with high idle on. let run a few mins and turned idle down, ran fine. next step, take to water and set idle in the water. may be a few days, getting ready to head out on vacation. I know there was not much response here. but with the threads and the videos on youtube, it has helped me work my way through this. can not wait to try it on the water.
B)

Re:Merc 1150 Throttle actuator link sync issue 8 years 2 months ago #120932

Sounds to me like you have been reading the right posts Tman2014!
When you launch the beast, just remember that the driveshaft housing of the Merc will be deeper in the water and consequently there will be more back-pressure on the exhaust.
So-o-o,...You may have to set the idle stop up some RPMs to compensate for this.
Ideally, you will be able to maintain a 700 RPM idle in Neutral in the waterway, but if you need to adjust the idle stop & related throttle cable adjustments up to as much as 950+/- RPMs to keep the beast running when you shift into Forward (or Reverse),...It won't hurt anything, and eventually you will probably be able to fine tune her down a bit in Neutral Idle Speed RPMs.

And, If when you attempt to pick up speed in Forward Gear the motor stalls or hesitates, shift to Neutral & open the idle jets on all (3) carburetors 1/8 turn c-clockwise, and try to accelerate again.
You may have to do this adjustment sequence 3-4 times before there is enough excess fuel slobber in the crankcase to respond correctly upon acceleration, since these carburetors do not have accelerator pumps like automobile carburetors.
You won't have as crisp of a fine idle tuning with this procedure, but the Merc will treat you right this way - at idle and at speed.
doc F

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

test ad
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

test ad
06-02-2024

Aquabird steering wheel
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)