Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Adding v6 3 ram PT to a 20" inline-6 made simple

Adding v6 3 ram PT to a 20" inline-6 made simple 8 years 4 months ago #118827

Time for another winter project idea from ole Doc Frankenmerc:

If you have a long shaft (20") inline-6 Merc from the late'60s through '88, and want to have the best power trim (PT) for a reasonable price, find a dead v6 Merc that has a 3 ram PT unit that has the entire system inside the swivel housing aft of the transom, not the ones that has a trim pump in the hull, and follow the instructions in the attached picture.
Some of the '88-'92 L-4 Mercs also have appropriate donor PTs, but some had single ram, so shop with caution.
If your long shaft inline-6 from the late'80s already has this style PT installed, there is no advantage to the suggested upgrade,...Unless your PT is thrashed, or corroded or can not be disassembled to repair.
Doc
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Adding v6 3 ram PT to a 20" inline-6 made simple 8 years 4 months ago #118830

• NJTriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Doc, will this also work for later 60's inline 4's? Just asking cause i was thinking of getting a CMC unit but would rather have something more stock looking.

-Brian

Re:Adding v6 3 ram PT to a 20" inline-6 made simple 8 years 4 months ago #118855

Very cool!!!!!

Bob

Re:Adding v6 3 ram PT to a 20" inline-6 made simple 8 years 3 months ago #120402

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Oh man, why didn't I see this before I bought a stock PT unit for my 77 115???? I am still looking for the pump/lines and everything that goes inside the hull and not having much luck so it might be to my advantage to go this route, much cleaner and overall cheaper.
Doc, I am just wondering about the bushings. Are they available or have to be made? Also I am not real clear on the assembly, do you have to remove/split the lower to do this or not?
Thanks for all the great info you post for us.
Mark

Re:Adding v6 3 ram PT to a 20" inline-6 made simple 8 years 3 months ago #120407

Mark,
I doubt it would be cheaper unless you can find a dead v6, etc with a good 3 ram PT that the owner doesn't recognize the re-sale value of the PT, but certainly is a huge upgrade when compared to the older 4 hose-2 ram system.
I have found bushings on line that are 'close' but too much clearance between the steering rod & the cast aluminum housing, so I have mine made locally.
I think I pay about $80 per set, but I'm not positive.
I have attached a picture of 'my' bushings that you are welcome to use.
I 'think' this modification can be done with the '60s L-6 & large L-4 long shaft Mercs, but I'm not positive.
If someone wants to know for sure, I will measure the distance between the top and bottom motor mounts of the '60s DSH and compare that measurement to the ones of the '70s-early '80s & post it.
doc F
Attachments:

Re:Adding v6 3 ram PT to a 20" inline-6 made simple 8 years 2 months ago #120648

Thom is the V6 and late L6 internal 3 ram trim that same system? Ive heard it both ways.

Re:Adding v6 3 ram PT to a 20" inline-6 made simple 8 years 2 months ago #120649

PS I really wish there was a way to put this trim on a 15 inch leg :)

Re:Adding v6 3 ram PT to a 20" inline-6 made simple 8 years 2 months ago #120656

First, my comments are to reinforce Tom's, not dish them. Granted that if one can find a quality used swivel bracket, clamp brackets, and power trim & tilt assembly from a 1984 and newer, 70 horsepower and higher Mercury, and then remove the powerhead, complete lower unit, and disassemble and reassemble some of the mid-section to complete the swap, this is a nice upgrade for many. Now concentrating on the "quality" used parts, for several years starting in 1984, Mercury used a supplier who they later either had a "falling-out" with, or whom stopped supplying replacement parts, so if your selected donor is in that range and has issues, then you are in for quite a bit of additional expense for a new power trim & tilt system, another "quality" used system, or possibly a new (aftermarket manufacturer) electric motor/pump assembly unit. The next supplier Mercury utilized I assume is still offering replacement parts, so the possible situation is much improved, but still overall, it one chooses poorly, or is unlucky, then power trim & tilt unit repairs can be costly. Fortunately, many reasonably cared for power trim & tilt units do often give long worry-free operation. So, the swap can be a money pit if one is not very careful, or maybe unlucky.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Adding v6 3 ram PT to a 20" inline-6 made simple 8 years 2 months ago #120673

"Thom is the V6 and late L6 internal 3 ram trim that same system? I've heard it both ways."

The primary difference between the late '80s inline-6 3 ram PT, is really just the swivel housing itself. The inline-6 swivel housing has smaller holes bored for the steering shaft & its bushings.
The PT components are the same.
Like Joe P Jr pointed out though, there are a variety of 3 ram PT motor, pump, and reservoir variations out there, but so far I have not had any issues locating an after-market PT motor-pump assembly via eBay for whichever system I have had to replace parts on.
I Know what Joe P Jr is referring to though, and have attempted to steal parts off one to put on another that just has enough difference to leave me scratching my head until I hunt down the right parts on eBay.
"So far" is probably a key phrase though as I have only been fiddling with this idea off and on for the last couple years.
I think someone on this forum actually inspired me to investigate this, which I feel is an excellent upgrade.
Definitely lots of disassembly & subsequent reassembly required, but well worth the efforts IMHO.
Doc F

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

test ad
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

test ad
06-02-2024

Aquabird steering wheel
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)