Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 58a parts question

1959 58a parts question 8 years 10 months ago #113757

I need to inspect and seal my engine. I looked at a parts site but I do not know enough to know what I need. I would like to replace impeller. Does anyone have a complete kit or a parts list?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:1959 58a parts question 8 years 10 months ago #113763

Dave the Wave,
You are taking on (2) important and somewhat difficult tasks.

To re-seal the powerhead involves replacing the top and bottom crankshaft seals & O-rings. It is a perfect time to also replace the respective main bearings.
This requires lifting the powerhead, noting the arrow timing marks on the flywheel & distributor, pulling the flywheel & stator (if your Merc has a stator - not all did) and pulling the top and bottom end-caps with a three finger puller.
Typically you may find that ambient moisture has compromised the main ball bearings - especially the bottom one. The top main ball bearing may also be in need of replacement if there is no scavenging system sending fuel mix to the top main.
All related replacement parts are available, and we can coach you through the process as needed.

The water impeller change requires removing the lower unit, and use of a spanner wrench to get into the water pump housing to change the impeller.
However,...Before you begin this disassembly, check your gear oil for water or the lack of oil in the case. It is a very common need to re-seal the gear case on your model Merc.
If you find that this operation needs to be completed, do it before simply installing a new impeller since typically you will need to remove the water pump housing the replace a seal & o-ring on the driveshaft.
You may also need to use a larger spanner wrench to remove the propeller shaft and bearing carrier's retainer to re-seal the prop shaft.
If your Merc has been used in salt water you are in for a real struggle, but whether a salty or pristine fresh water Merc, these steps of maintenance are a necessary evil if you plan to keep the old girl performing well.

I have all the necessary good used parts that are NLA, if needed. The new o-rings, seals, and related speedi-sleeve (if needed) are readily available.
Attachments:

Re:1959 58a parts question 8 years 10 months ago #113773

Thank You for such a detailed reply. You should plan a fun Florida vacation and while here...............

Re:1959 58a parts question 8 years 9 months ago #113792

I'm willing it would be cheaper to mail a repaired one there but that's no fun!

Re:1959 58a parts question 8 years 9 months ago #113799

"You should plan a fun Florida vacation and while here..............."

Well,...The good doctor has made a 'house call' to perform 'Mercury Magic' down in Crawfordville, Florida.
My hosts provided housing and food, and we also took in the Mt Dora boat show at Tavares and Lake Dora.
It truly was a fun vacation, but I doubt my back could tolerate another long flight like that. That part was really miserable.
doc
Attachments:

Re:1959 58a parts question 8 years 3 months ago #120167

Today might be the day to drop lower unit.Sure do appreciate the pictures again. Thanks

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

test ad
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

test ad
06-02-2024

Aquabird steering wheel