I am the lucky owner of a 1962 German Craft Searider. I got it from Taco, a respected member of this forum. I bought it in May of this year, Taco didn't have the time anymore to restore it. It is not the first boat I got from/through him, I also own a Eastern German 1957 VEB Sportbootwerke with 3 cylinder 2 stroke Wartburg engine that is in resoration too. Previously I used to own a Swedish C.G. Pettersson cabin cruiser that I sold a few years ago.
The German Craft is not I a bad condition, the windshield is self made and the seats are non correct aftermarkets.
I am not a professional restorer, but I will do most of the work on this one myself.
First step was to take of all the hardware, transom/motormount, etc.
I will try to keep this forum updated on the progress!
Here are some photos of the progress I made on sanding it down to the bare fiberglass, there are older some repairs, about 4 layers of different colour paint, and I guess someone had an accident and rammed a pier or something, so it will need a 'nose job'.
Last weeks, I was able to flip the boat. I sanded it down to the bare fiberglass, repaired the nose, filled some damages (it is not in bad shape), and covered it with two coats of epoxy and did some more repair with filler.
Next step is to sand down some of the repairs again, add two more coats of epoxy before applying base coats of white.
The gray areas were caused by adding gray pigment, so I could see the scratches and damages better.
OK, everything works now. My Searider is nearly finished. Just need to hook up the ammeter properly and check if the alternator works (does not do anything at idle, which is normal). it is in storage now due to other engagements.
Just to sum up, I sanded down the whole boat, and sealed it with 3 coats of epoxy to replace the gelcoat. After that, I applied 1 primer coat and 3 sealant coats (it is a Dutch brand paint system called IJmopox by the IJssel coatings). The hull I painted myself with 3 coats of Double coat - cream white (same brand).
The deck/interior was spray painted by a car restorer. The boat had no windshield, no benches, no steering wheel, etc. I made the benches myself and had them upholstered. I still had a nice steering wheel around, so painted it and installed it. Had a windshield made based on a cardboard form I made.
The engine is a story in itself, it is a 1957 Johnson 35HP. It hadn't been running for over 35 years but was loose and had good compression. I rewired it, new gas lines, took everyting apart and replaced all gaskets, float, points, etc. etc. Now it is running like new! And I took care of the cosmetics myself too.
Anyway, I am happy with the result, I hope you like it too.