Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 11 months ago #61246

OK :) i thought you been away from home TO LONG and went around the bend on us LOL :)

ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 11 months ago #61837

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Don't attempt to adjust your monitor- The colors are correct-

My Pink paint finally got here today! I was a little nervous about how the color would translate from a small paint chip to real paint, but it looks OK. I went ahead and mixed up a sample batch-

It's sitting here, waiting to 'kick', before I thin it.

I only wanted to mix a small amount, so I could paint one of the parts before I sprayed the hull. I wanted to make sure that the color was right before I painted the whole thing. Also, Some people have asked how this paint works with a brush, and I had not tried that yet, so I decided to give it a shot now. It works quite well with a brush- I added thinner to it until it was thin enough to flow well, but not too 'drippy'. Then, I painted the dash-

The coverage was great, and the brush marks leveled out pretty well. I think I may have thinned a LITTLE too much, but it turned out pretty good. The color isn't right in the picture, I used my IPhone to take the picture, and the light wasn't the best. You can see the reflection, though- It's VERY glossy!

I think that the color is right- Which is a relief! Once this coat cures, I'll put another coat on. The manufacturer recommends 12-24 hours as the recoat window. It's not as picky as some of the other paints that I have used.

-Andrew

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 11 months ago #61845

I think it looks awesome and can't wait to see it on the boat, she's going to be fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 11 months ago #61946

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well, I got up early this morning, and dropped my wife off at the airport (NOT related to the boat, I assure you :) ) , then got back home, wheeled the boat out, and gave it a good final wipedown with Eastwood PRE...

Then, I took a good hearty swig of Rum... To build up the courage, and pulled the trigger (on the sprayer, that is!)

The first coat is on-

It went on pretty well- The only issues that I had were from operator error, I'm still pretty new to spraying. There are a few drips and runs here and there, but not too bad. One bug decided that he really liked the pink, and decided to land in it- which was the last thing he ever did... He's still a part of my paint job until it dries :)

The color is what I was looking for! Remember, when the boat is put back together, the white hull will offset it a bit, so it won't be quite as 'shocking'. There's also a lot of chrome hardware that will dress it up.

I'll be putting at least one more, and possibly two more, coats on. Then, it's time to sand, sand, sand.... Then polish!

-Andrew

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 11 months ago #61955

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Andrew it is looking great! Can't see any on the grass so the Rum to hand coordination formula looks like its a winner. Be sure to use the same formula on the following coats! :-)

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 11 months ago #61962

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks....

My HVLP gun has almost NO overspray- I really like it. There is NONE On the grass, at all.

I realize that is a somewhat unconventional spray 'area', but I've found through trial and error that it is what works best! I usually spray relatively early in the morning, and the grass is still slightly damp, so there is no dust to kick up. It works perfectly when the weather cooperates, days like today that are slightly overcast in the morning. I get the spraying done, and it dries to the touch, then the sun comes out and 'bakes' it, which speeds up the cure.

It's not an ideal painting situation, but I find it's actually a LOT better than the garage, even when I section off an area with plastic sheeting. My garage is attached to the house, and this urethane has quite an odor to it, which I'm sure my wife appreciates me leaving outside :)

My only question is, what is it about fresh paint that bugs love sooooo much??

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 11 months ago #61969

Looking great Andrew, I really like the color. It's going to be a great combo! Great idea for painting. Hmmmm maybe I should go ahead and build that wheel around stand for the Century now and us it to paint the main trailer section.

Bob

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 11 months ago #61986

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Andrew, comin' along really great! Early morning or late evening is a good time to paint. Evening is better, the neighbors won't see the pink overspray on their cars until morning :)
Keep going at 'er.
Cal

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 11 months ago #62062

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It's back together! I did a 'dry fit' to make sure everything is going to go where it's supposed to, and also to get an idea of what she'll look like in PINK-

This hull design is a pain to deal with- Everything has to be perfect for it to fit together, especially in the transom area, due to the way it was built... But, It all fits well-

Sorry about the glare- It's really sunny out, and the paint is SHINY :)

While I've still got a LONG way to go- It actually looks like a boat (Or possibly a pink spaceship!) now... Hard to believe not too long ago it looked like this-

-Andrew

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 11 months ago #62072

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
TERRIFFIC! Really lookin' good Andrew, fantastic job. I like seeing the before and after pictures, you can really appreciate the effort that goes into a project. Just about time to pick a launch date.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 11 months ago #62074

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks... Launch is still a LONG ways off- I'm getting in to the really time consuming bits now :)

Here are some better shots- The bright sun messes with the colors, especially when I use my IPhone camera, so I got out the 'real' camera for a couple of photos. The color is much more like the real thing in these-

Almost looks like a toy boat in this shot :)

Bow on

The stern. I just can't get enough of those fins :)

My wife has been out of town for a few days, she's returning tonight with the in-laws for the weekend... When she left, the boat was still primer grey. This will be a bit of a surprise.

-Andrew

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 11 months ago #62078

Very nice. Congrats to you. Dave

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 11 months ago #62079

Really sharp looking job there. That color will really be set off when you get a little chrome on it. Keep up the great work, Skip.

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 11 months ago #62090

Andrew, that confirms it, that color looks excellent with the White bottom. She's going to be outstanding when your done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 8 months ago #66759

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Work on ALL my projects has been a little slow recently... I've been going through some very intensive training for my new job- I'm going to be doing some dangerous things with some even more dangerous chemicals, so they want to make sure that I know what I'm doing! 6 months of training here in the U.S., followed by another 6 months in Germany... It has left little time for anything else.

Add to that the arrival of my daughter, and you can see where I might be a little busy... She's just over two months old now, and doing very well.

But, I've managed to get little things done here and there when I find time. I'm getting ready to finally join the hull and deck, they are just sitting on one another at this point. I did some minor adjustments to them, to perfect the fit. When the boat was built, they were joined with what looks like thickened resin, and a staple about every 2" all along. I plan to use an adhesive sealant, like 3-M, to join them, and clamp it rather than use the staples.... If, for some reason, I ever need to take them apart, this will be a lot easier than dealing with all the staples! When I install the rub rails, they are through bolted about every 6" or so, so this will provide some mechanical backup to the adhesive, though it won't need it- that's some strong stuff.

Speaking of the rub rails, I got them polished today, and they turned out NICE-

Shines like chrome.

Here is a finished one next to the unpolished one-

If I get enough of these little projects done, I'll have everything all ready to go so I can do the assembly next time I've actually got a day off, Whenever that may be :)

-Andrew

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 8 months ago #66764

Andrew,
Congrats on the daughter!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear your getting some time on the projects Sucks when work interferes with our hobbies doesn't it! Great plan for joining the top and bottom. The rub rail looks GREAT!

Bob

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 8 months ago #67268

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I got a bit more done...

I did the final adjustments here and there to line up the hull and deck, did a test 'dry' fit, then joined the two parts. It is now ONE-

I used every clamp or device that I had that could provide clamping pressure to hold it all together as the adhesive cures. The fit was pretty close, though it appears that the hull sagged a little bit while the two were apart, though with a little persuasion everything fit together nicely.

I was a little nervous about the fit- The way this thing was built, everything has to be PERFECT for it to all go together. I took a lot of measurements, and tried to make sure that I put it all together right, but had no way of really knowing until I tried to reassemble. Luckily- It all fits!

Later, I got the rubrail partially installed-

It's looking more like a boat now.

Next up-
deck hardware- And the Windshield project!

-Andrew

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 8 months ago #67286

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looking great Andrew, she's coming along nicely. (I don't know how you manage to get anything else done with the intensive training for the new job!)

Next up-........ And the Windshield project!

You know I'm looking forward to watching that part of the project, wanna do two while you're at it? :laugh:

Mark

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 8 months ago #67315

Looking great. I'm with Mark, not sure how your getting it all done!

Bob

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 8 months ago #67674

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
A very productive day here! I actually found some time to work on the boat! Our last term was only two weeks long- They managed to compress a 15 week chemical engineering course into two weeks- Which didn't leave a lot of time for anything else! But, It's over, and I get two whole days before the NEXT semester starts!

I got a lot of hardware installed today, including drain plugs and the aluminum transom plate-

I also cut out a hole in the deck, under the transom, for a 3" access plate so I can get into the bilge should I ever need to.

I also got most of the new hardware (frames, etc) made for the windshield. I bent some aluminum moldings, and polished everything up. For some reason, I'm having difficulty finding the 1/8" lexan that I need locally.

This boat MIGHT actually see the water before I head off to Germany in January!

-Andrew

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 8 months ago #67682

• MarkS

For some reason, I'm having difficulty finding the 1/8" lexan that I need locally.

I'll start checking around down her in ATL, Andrew. I need a piece 2' x 6' for mine, how big of a piece do you need?

Great progress all things considered, BTW!

Mark

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 8 months ago #67690

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Andrew, great job! Congrats on your new daughter, mine is in her 40's but still my little girl.
First thing I thought of when I saw your boat on the lawn was a Barbie doll, it does look like a fun toy. What 3M did you end up using for the top and bottom joining? If you used 5200 don't ever plan on taking it apart unless you have a sawzall. Have a safe journey to the Rhineland and keep in touch.
Cal

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 8 months ago #67692

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks!

Mark- I need a piece that's like 18 1/2" x 88", or thereabouts. You might be able to find someone down there who stocks full sheets (4' x 8') and we could split one- It's often cheaper that way, but I didn't want to have to buy a whole sheet!

I might need another piece for the Volksboat, too

Cal- I use 4200 for most work, unless I have a specific reason to need the extra strength of 5200. I consider 5200 to be the 'aspirin' of the boat repair world- It is great stuff, but also overused and abused. Back when I was doing boat repair work, I used to hate the stuff, not because it didnt work- but because it worked too well, and people would do things like bed portlights and acrylic windows with it, then want me to remove them later without breaking anything. People don't realize that once it's joined with that stuff, it is JOINED. While I don't see any reason to ever take the hull apart again, you never know what MIGHT happen.

There are also a few construction adhesives on the market that I have used, Sika-Bond is one, as is PL. Really, if you look at the test data, they are VERY similar in many characteristics to the 3-M products. Not QUITE as tenacious in the gripping department as 5200, but just as strong as 4200. They are also moisture curing polyurethanes. If you don't require the better UV resistance, and the purdy white color, they work fine.

-Andrew

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #68275

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Some rare time off today- A 3 day weekend- So I took advantage of it!

The wheel needed some attention, it used to have some funky blue sparkle vinyl coating on it, which had mostly cracked off-

So, I stripped the rest of it off. My original intent was to repaint it, but it polished up VERY nicely, so I decided to leave it that way-

And, I got the rear seats installed, plus some of the deck hardware-

The rear seats are hinged, so they tilt forward to access the compartment under the motorwell. They are also removable, by pulling the pin out of them, which explains why they are often missing!

You can see the template for the new windshield in the last shot, I finally found a local source for the lexan, and will be picking it up next week. I hope to find time to get it cut and shaped next week.

I'm still collecting a few more parts, mostly for the dash, and then it'll be time to put the motor on. Then its LAKE TIME!

-Andrew

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #68282

• MarkS

I finally found a local source for the lexan, and will be picking it up next week.

Well that's good news, cheapest I have found down here is $96 for a full sheet! (Still looking)

Nice wheel, and those rear seats are too cool. Do they close it in under the splash well so much you'll need vents? (For the gas/battery storage.) Lookin' good Andrew, have a great weekend.

Mark

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #68290

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
MarkS wrote:

Well that's good news, cheapest I have found down here is $96 for a full sheet! (Still looking)

Nice wheel, and those rear seats are too cool. Do they close it in under the splash well so much you'll need vents? (For the gas/battery storage.) Lookin' good Andrew, have a great weekend.

If you can get 1/8" lexan that cheap, go for it!! Make sure it's actually Lexan (or another brand of Polycarbonate), and not acrylic, though- Full sheets here are about $230, the Acrylic runs over $100. The 19" x 88" piece for my windshield is about $60.

The rear seats don't entirely close off the stern area- it's still open on the sides. If you look at the front part of the seat, by the arm rest, the whole side of the boat is open, and that leads directly back to the after compartment...

-Andrew

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #68314

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I love the smell of grease in the morning... Errr, Evening.

I have a short break in things on the lake N sea- I'm waiting to get some parts, and until they get here, I've reached a stopping point. I HATE it when I can't work because someone shipped me the wrong color of trim :)

So, I decided to start getting a little bit of work done on the mechanical part of things, so I got out the 'Lark twins' to see what they were going to be needed to them to get them going-

Both of them are '59s- and supposedly, according to the people I bought them from, both strong runners. The one that I thought was the most intact, and pretty much ready to go, is missing a few parts here and there. The other one seems to be almost intact, with only a few small things here and there missing. I'm sure that between the two, I'm going to be able to get a decent runner!

Even though the first motor was missing some parts, it came with the controls and electrical, which is the tough part to find!

I've also got a slight dilemma - I've got two shift boxes, the one on the right is a '59 and would be 'correct' for the boat, and the one on the left is a slightly later model, probably early 60's, and would probably look a little better. They're both in great shape, other than being dirty.

I'll probably go with the 'right' one... But I've got time before I have to decide for sure.

I might put the motor in the 'test tank' (read- Garbage can :) ) tomorrow and fire it up... Or at least try to :)

-Andrew

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #68315

Great stuff Andrew. Yeah the Lexan is real pricey here too!!!!!!!!!! I'd go with the '59 control but I'm biased as that's what I'm using on the Clipper.

Bob

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #68327

• Doug Reeve
  • Away
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Personally I think the older style looks much better than the newer rectangular box. Doug

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #68372

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks.

I think I'm going to end up using the older control- Seems that pretty much everyone agrees that is the way to go, and I was leaning that way anyways... Hopefully I'll be able to switch the control cables over from the other one without too much trouble- That's the one that came with the motor, and they are brand new, so hopefully I wont have to buy more ;)

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #68656

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
More progress...

I got the windshield project DONE! I did a separate thread on it,

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/member-projects/new-windshield

where I'll post better directions, and dimensions.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I've still got to mount two of the deck brackets on it- But it's good to go otherwise.

I also got the dash ready. Originally, it had a vinyl covering on part of it, with a textured finish. I was able to find something that was VERY close to the original. It was just a matter of cutting a template-

Then cutting a piece to fit, then CAREFULLY attaching it to the dash, while working the bubbles out slowly.... I'm pretty happy with how that turned out, too-

There is one creased area, but it happens to be right where I'll be making cutouts for instruments in the dash anyways, so it won't matter much :)

Now, If the edge trim I ordered would finally get here- The first time I ordered, they sent the wrong color.... The replacement package I got today was the right color, but it was 10 feet instead of the 45 feet it was supposed to be. Hopefully, the THIRD time they ship it'll be correct!

-Andrew

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #68666

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Some test fitting of hardware, to see what's going where!

Bow light, cleat, chocks, and horn. The bow light & horn are NOS- The light is identical to the ones in the Lake N Sea brochure.

The deck hardware (Cleats, chocks, etc) that I am using is a nice complete set. I had a pretty good set, but then I found a nice NOS set- It's not here yet, so I put the old ones on just to see if I liked 'em... And I DO :)

The stern light isn't NOS, but darn close other than a little yellowing in the lens. I put the motor cowl there to see how it was going to look- It looks right at home on this transom for sure.... One more set of fins!

And, the dash layout-

I've been accumulating those AquaMeter gauges for a while now- Getting nicer and nicer ones from time to time. I like their look on the dash! Of course, I've got the '59 golden jubilee badge in the starter plate, too.

Now I just need to install it all :)

-Andrew

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #68855

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I think the new deck hardware passed inspection-

This is the stuff I'm going to use- I had a few choices, but this is a COMPLETE set of N.O.S. hardware that I think looks great on there, and apparently so does Ms. Charlotte!

Hopefully I'll get it on this week- then it's a quick coat of paint to the interior, a bit of trim, and other than upholstery, rigging the engine, and wiring, it's DONE.

-Andrew

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #68866

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Anyone see a few broken hearts there?

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #68873

Beautiful on both counts!

Bob

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #68875

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I see a first prize in the works here!

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #69134

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Slow but steady progress... Hopefully, I'll get some time this weekend to do some real work. I've just found a minute or two here and there to get small things done- But as long as all the progress is in the right direction, It'll all get done eventually!

I've got a whole pile of 'bling' to install-

Everything above deck is pretty much original to the boat, or to the era... There will be a few modern conveniences here and there, like the modern electrical system- But they'll be hidden away so you'll never know that they are there.

I moved it to the 'upstairs' garage, where I've got more tools...

I moved the motors up there, too- Hopefully I'll get one of them started this weekend, then it'll be time to install it...

-Andrew

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #69171

Excellent, she's almost done!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #69194

andrew,you have done an amazing job on it,its fantastic,and little charlotte is absolutly beautiful,congratulations andrew.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Lake N' Sea Restoration 11 years 7 months ago #69591

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
After rebuilding the carb and fuel pump, several hours of tinkering and a lot of choice words, I got the motor running!

It still needs some adjustments- But it's nice to know I've got a strong runner for this boat... Compression was a bit low when I checked it right after I bough it, but after it ran and I checked again, it was 105+ in both cylinders.

So, I decided to drop it on the transom, to see how it all looked, and make sure it fit right-

I think it looks like it belongs there- Perfect 50's styling. I've got to install the electrical panel, and then do the steering, and the controls.

The dash is almost done, and turned out pretty decent-

I need to find a center cap for the steering wheel.

She might even see the water this year for a test float! Hopefully next week sometime I'll get to splash her, at least for a few minutes. I'm coming up on ONE YEAR of work now, but it has been such a busy year it has flown by!

-Andrew

Time to create page: 0.336 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'