Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1968 Glasspar Citation I/O

1968 Glasspar Citation I/O 7 years 2 weeks ago #130747

My FiberGlassic is a 1968 Glasspar Citation with the 165HP Eaton Interceptor power package and the vented windshield option. The Eaton package is a small block Ford V8 (289 maybe) with a Volvo 200 outdrive. The boat’s serial number is [81676 | 8068388].

Here’s the boat’s history: My parents bought the Citation in about 1970-71 from the original owner for $2,000. My father said it was the best $2K he ever spent. We’d been up at Donner Lake and a Reno boat dealer was having a demo day at Donner. We got excited about the Flying V-175 and started looking for used boats. I as a youngster wanted the flatbottom we found in the classifieds with a small block motor and a progressive tri-power carburetor setup. The guy wouldn’t sell it to us!

Anyway, we found the Citation and spent countless hours waterskiing, fishing, vacationing, and motoring around as a family. Later, while in high-school and college, I, my brother and friends had wonderful teenager-only time centered on the boat and the water and the magnetic properties a boat had on girls.

The only modifications to the boat are the addition of trim tabs, a speedometer, and the addition of a four barrel carburetor and factory Ford manifold that I installed as a kid looking for more power. One exhaust riser was repaired from some freeze damage with epoxy and has worked fine ever since.

Unfortunately, the boat has now sat outside for the last 15 years or so, but with the plug out, thankfully. Regardless, I believe the hull is sound and has no gelcoat cracking, but, there is a soft spot in the floor behind the passenger seat. The boat is complete, but the engine cover needs to be rebuilt, the dash resurfaced, gauges cleaned or replaced, and of course, upholstery.

I also believe that the seat frames and the engine are sound. The engine oil was clear when I drained it and the engine has never caused any problems. The same is true for the outdrive. Those Volvos are marvelous units. I do believe there may well be an issue with the carrier bearing on the shaft between the engine and the outdrive, or, maybe the u-joints but I’m leaning toward the bearing. The last time I had it on the water, an unpleasant sound occurred when turning the boat. I put it back on the trailer and there we go.

The problem I've got is that this is not a project for me. Anyone in northern California want this boat, free? It’s destined for the dump otherwise. I’ve drained the engine and outdrive oil, removed the gas tank, fuel lines and the battery. But, before I haul it off, I thought I’d offer it up here. I don’t have the time or the inclination to restore it. It was an emotional experience to prep her for destruction, however, and it would be nice to see her go to a good home. I’ve got the pink slips for the boat and trailer.

If anyone’s truly interested in this free-to-a-good-home project, let me know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1968 Glasspar Citation I/O 7 years 1 week ago #130884

Now that the site's back up, can I interest anyone in this still-loved but long-neglected boat/trailer? There are some master restorations shown around here, and I'd hate this nice, solid boat to go to salvage.

1968 Glasspar Citation I/O 7 years 1 week ago #130888

Wow, if I wasn't diagonally all the way across the country from you, I'd take it. Hope it goes to a good home!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)