Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Invader 16'

1959 Invader 16' 8 years 1 month ago #120583

Hello all new to the forum here. I just picked up a new glassic 4 days ago and I am looking to find as much info as possible about Invader Boats out of Giddings TX.
My new vessel does not have a hull ID tag, from what I have found it is a 1959 (if anyone knows different please advise). I know it is an Invader as there is a partial emblem on the port side of the stern. The problem I am running into is that most every search online for Invader boats brings up gw invader ten footers, cool little boats but not what I seek.

As for my hull I have pulled the seats and carpet already, It will need the floor and transom replaced for sure. The windshield is split in half so that's on the list. A few spots of cracked gel coat that will be removed before recoat.

The motor is a 1964 65 hp mercury 650 four cylinder. It appears to have been maintained up to 2009 (last registered) seems as though the plugs and wires are fairly new. Most of the wiring looks original and is all dry roted so will all need to be replaced. It does turn freely and the prop moves nice with no noise so I am pretty confident that she will come back to life without major overhaul.

I will post pics of my progress and be searching the forum for tips and advice. If anyone has any to offer please do. I am relatively new to boat restoration, this being my second project and first outboard I have owned. Previously have had 2 I/O boats.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1959 Invader 16' 8 years 1 month ago #120584

PapaB,

WELCOME ABOARD.

Have you called the public library in Giddings AND the Chamber of Commerce there to see if either place has any information on the company.

Fyi, between 1955 & 1970 there were probably at least 200 "small & independent" boat-building firms just here in TX & many of the builders built less than 25 boats (I know of two boat-builders who went broke before they completed ANY hulls.) before closing their doors forever.

It's been my experience that numerous (though far from all) such companies gave their records to the local library.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: 1959 Invader 16' 8 years 1 month ago #120585

I have not yet contacted anyone in Giddings. There is and advertisement in the fiberglassics library for Invader boat co. From 1960 that has the exact boat and the emblem is a match though it only a partial emblem. I am certain they built the hull just not certain as to what year. I will check with some people from that area and see if I can scrape up any more. Anything I do come across I will submit to the site for any else who may be looking

Re:1959 Invader 16' 8 years 1 month ago #120594

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
PapaB - I would also check the serial number of your motor. The stripe package you have looks like the 1966 model (my dad had that same decal set). If the serial number says it is a 1964, then someone changed the outer decals or shrouding from another motor. The year is important because you will want to have the correct manual for it. I am NOT a mechanic, but the REAL mechanics on here can help...I am thinking there were changes going on during this time period with ignition/spark systems that would warrant getting it all sorted out so you can follow the correct manual for your motor. The boat still could be a different year than motor or the same (even if purchased new as a package), so I am hoping someone can help you with the hull. That is all I know, so you realize I don't know much...just trying to help a bit if I can.
Dr.Go! (Mark)

Dr.Go!

Re:1959 Invader 16' 8 years 1 month ago #120596

Thanks Dr Go. The serial number on the motor is indeed 1964, I might have to keep an eye out for the correct cowl for it. There is a guy near me that seems to have quite a few of these old mercs and parts for them. I am thinking I will get in touch with him and see what he know about the motor

Re:1959 Invader 16' 8 years 3 weeks ago #121050

So I have finally had a little time to dig into the Invader and to my surprise well hidden under a piece of angle iron on the transom, I found the hull ID tag. It is indeed a 1959 serial number 59 0101 I am guessing that would make it boat number 101 for the year and the company as a whole. I also cleaned up the tag on the motor and found that my father has lost his Sharp eye and the serial number is 1967. Nice to know what I am working with I guess. Does anyone know if this particular hull is of any value other then being a cool old boat? I know there where hundreds of companies pumping out fiberglass boats around this era. More or less wondering if I should be aiming for as close to original resto as possible for value sake or should I not worry as much?

Also acquired another project last week. Little newer for fiberglassics but worth a mention 1984 sun runner 230. 22' cuddy. It was a free grab that needs interior. Pretty excited to put my carpentry skills to work with some cedar on this one.

Re:1959 Invader 16' 8 years 3 weeks ago #121051

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Why cedar? Why not mahogany?

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:1959 Invader 16' 8 years 3 weeks ago #121062

Very nice vessel you have there, did you do the wood work entirely?

I have an abundance of very nice well aged cedar that I was initially going to use. I have since come across 10 acres of eastern red cedar that I have permit to harvest. My portable sawmill is nearly complete so now I'm thinking it would be really gratifying to finish it with lumber that I harvested. The only problem is the 8-12 months of drying time before I can use said lumber.

Re:1959 Invader 16' 8 years 3 days ago #121426

Nice boat papa,

if you are looking for parts for a 64 merc there is a guy in Ogilvie MN that has nearly 200 vintage and antique outboards some dating to 1913. if you are interested I can dig up his info, I know his name is Gordy's boats or something like that. He is just a few miles from me let me know.

Chuck G

Re:1959 Invader 16' 8 years 3 days ago #121440

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
thisoldboat - if you would not mind, I too could use this name and contact information as I am looking for a 1965 iL6 short shaft.

Mark (Dr,Go!)

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7236 guests and no members online