This is my first attempt at a restore. I found this 1964 Del Rio that was sitting wide open in someone's yard for at least 5 or 6 years. I knew everything would be rotten, but the hull looked to be in great shape. I decided to do a top off restore. I'm so glad I found Fiberglassics. Great info here. I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions. Jim
Jim, the del rio is a good boat to use. I had a '62. They must have changed the stringer system sometime around '63 cause mine had 100% fiberglass stringers with vinyl covered marine plywood screwed to the stringers with stainless steel screws. And mine came factory with a piece of plywood screwed to the outside of the transom. Why,I don't know cause it didn't need it. Did yours have poured foam or foam strips under the floor? I still have some pics of the floor etc,if you need any.jim
That's interesting that they would go from fiberglass stringers to wood stringers. There was white styrofoam pieces under the deck. Are you saying that could have been from the factory? I just assumed the previous owner cut up a bunch of coolers and threw them in there. Haha. They were just kind of stacked in between the stringer. Not cut to fit nice or anything.
Yeah that's the same foam that was in mine. It was all very waterlogged. I am planning on replacing mine with pour foam. I don't know if I'm using the correct terminology when I say 'stringers' as mine run side to side as opposed to your stringers. Very interesting. Thank you for posting those. Jim
Thank you satx and MarkS. I love this site and I've been pouring over it the last several months. I just turned 50 last year and I remember having to go to the library every time you needed information on something. It's amazing the amount of expertise that is at your fingertips these days.
Thank you! I wish I could say I was further along with it, but I'm in the building industry and we have been crazy busy this Winter and Spring here in Ohio. It's good to see things coming back finally, but the boat progress is suffering.
Finally got some time to get back to work. New transom cut from two layers of 3/4" marine plywood. I left a lifting tab on top so I can get it in and out with my engine hoist that I'll cut off after I get it installed.
Ribs cut and fitted. I would appreciate any opinions on how to seat the ribs prior to tabbing them in. I've been reading about avoiding hard spots where they directly contact the hull. Would it be dumb to add a strip of foam at the bottom? I was thinking something like sill sealer used in construction that goes between the top of a block wall and the wood sill plate.
Jim, good progress! I'm no expert but if it were me I'd seal them with CPES, bed it in 5200 once the CPES is dry. Once the 5200 dries glass them in. I'd make sure any of the squeeze out was out of the way before glassing. I have to admit I haven't had to do any stringers in a glass boat yet so others can jump in here. Just my 2 cents.
Definitely seal the ribs prior to installing them. Bob uses CPES, I use resin and CSM or 1708 Bi-axial mat if the budget allows.
The "hard spot" theory is one that was brought up to me during my last rebuild a couple years back, not sure how much merit there is to it but here's what I did. Put 1/4" rubber spacers under the stringers then filled the contact area with PL Premium adhesive. (Holds and is water proof but remains somewhat flexible). After that was allowed to dry and gas out overnight I continued with filets and glassed in the stringers completely.
I've known of many rebuilds where the stringers and/or ribs were glassed in to the floor just using thickened resin and there was never a problem with the hard spots, so all this work very well may have been overkill?
Thanks guys. I already have the CPES ready to go. I still have some notching to do for the upper supports.
My first thought was also the 5200 and I also thought about PL Premium. That's why I thought I'd ask. Remaining flexible seems somewhat contradicting. On the other hand, I know from first hand experience grinding out the old tabbing, that the fiberglass is very strong.
I've seen on some other sites that the stringers are just seated in resin thickened with cabosil, which I assume would be completely hard and inflexible. That would make the entire surface a hard spot, or a moot point I suppose.
I just want to do it right, and never again (on this boat. haha).
hi,just bought a barn find 1964 del rio imperial.sat in a garage since early 90s.1964 tee nee trailer,1964 jonsen 60hp.seats are in as new condition have some work to get it ready for spring. was in the same family since new.will post pictures soon.Dave
I ended up bedding the ribs in PL Premium which held great. The ribs are solid and the entire boat is locked together again like it should be. After the PL Premium cured, I followed up with fillets from epoxy thickened with Cabosil. That seems the way to go. They're ready for tabbing in.