Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 14' weight?

14' weight? 13 years 10 months ago #9792

• amac
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
anybody have any idea what a 14' thunder hawk bass boat might weigh? I'm wondering if it's safe to tow it with my 4 banger wrangler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:14' weight? 13 years 10 months ago #9795

i was told no 4cyl.gm vehicle is safe to tow with. nowhere in there brochures does it even mention towing. i ended up buying a 6cyl. and forfeiting the high gas mileage. ron

Re:14' weight? 13 years 10 months ago #9798

• amac
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I tow a utility trailer with the jeep all the time with no problem but even loaded I don't think it's more than 1500 lbs. I was hoping the boat was similiar in weight.

Re:14' weight? 13 years 10 months ago #9801

the boat,motor and trailer are most likely under 1,000lbs.i just had to be sure the warranty wouldn't be voided. they would not give me a hand written guarantee on a 4 cyl.

Re:14' weight? 13 years 10 months ago #9807

• amac
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Now THAT'S what i wanted to hear. My truck only gets half the mileage the jeep does and it's nice to save a few bucks here and there on gas when I can. Thanx very much for the info. It's most definitly appreciated.

Re:14' weight? 13 years 10 months ago #9859

I'm wondering the same thing. I recently acquired a 1971 MFG CAREFREE with a 40 horse outboard. The trailer it came with is a 1971 SNOWCO. My question is: is my 2001 PONTIAC GRAND AM SE 2.4 liter capable of towing this? I have been looking for trailer hitches for my car and have found several ranging in prices from $150-$235.

Re:14' weight? 13 years 10 months ago #9867

• amac
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I think so since my jeep only weighs 3000 and I pull my utility trailer around. That is if your boat is small like mine cuz I have no idea how big your boat is

Re:14' weight? 13 years 10 months ago #9869

Wrangler will tow it just fine...though, you wont be winning any speed contests. :P

My dad tows a 14' Reinell with a 4 cylinder Accord and it tows quite nice.

Re:14' weight? 13 years 10 months ago #9917

I tow my 14' Glastron with a 2.7L I4 cylinder (150HP) Toyota Tacoma. I can maintain speeds pretty good. (65-75MPH) Hills and strong winds slow it down a bit more than I would care for. :(

1970 Glastron V-142 SkiFlite
1965 Merc 500
1968 Merc 500

Re:14' weight? 13 years 10 months ago #10160

My boat is just over 13'... The capacity plate reads a maximum capacity weight of 930 lbs. The trailer also carries a maximum weight capacity of 900 lbs.

Re:14' weight? 13 years 10 months ago #10176

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Guys and Gals please remember that pulling your boat down the road and up the ramp is only half the equation. The tow vehicle is also responsible for bringing everything to a stop. Extra care and caution should be exercised when pulling any trailer, especially if the tow vehicle wasn't designed to pull a trailer. The brakes are sufficient to stop a given amount of weight, and adding even 1000 pounds drastically increases the amount of time and distance to bring it to a stop. (I've noticed this in a sudden stop even with a full-sized pickup with 4 wheel disc brakes!) The term "panic stop" can take on a whole new meaning. Please keep that in mind when you're on the road.

Also, you want to make sure your shocks and cooling system are properly maintained, and may want to consider adding a trans cooler if you're running an automatic transmission.

Happy motoring!

Mark

Re:14' weight? 13 years 10 months ago #10179

You can always add trailer brakes. One of these days I'm gonna, even though my truck does fine pulling and stopping. Just added security.

Frank

Re:14' weight? 13 years 10 months ago #10220

• amac
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I would hope that people will err on the side of CAUTION when towing anything. I drove semi for a long time in all weather and it was my unfortunate luck to see many an accident that may have been preventable cuz of a lack of safety.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)