Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need advice for restoring 64' glasspar tacoma

Need advice for restoring 64' glasspar tacoma 13 years 10 months ago #9783

Trying for the 1st time to restore a boat! I bought a 64' glasspar tacoma and i really dont know anything about it. If someone could please tell me a little about this boat and what the original condition is suppose to look like, I would greatly appreciate it. Ive searched all over the internet and can't seem to find anything. Thanks alot, have a wonderful day

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Need advice for restoring 64' glasspar tacoma 13 years 10 months ago #9787

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome bn. Can you post some pics of your Tacoma? I found a listing and factory brochure for the '65 on the Classic Glasspar site:
www.classicglasspars.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102:1965-tacoma&catid=23:tacoma&Itemid=6
Have a look and see if it appears similar to yours. Don't be a stanger, keep us posted on what you find out.

Mark

Re:Need advice for restoring 64' glasspar tacoma 13 years 10 months ago #9789

i just got this boat last night, havent had a chance to post pics yet. but i will eventually. the boat looks similar but the front end is made differently. looking forward to getting it back to its original state but having a real hard time finding out what that is, lol. thanks for the help. can use anymore u have to offer. dont hardlt know anything about boats

Re:Need advice for restoring 64' glasspar tacoma 13 years 10 months ago #9790

oh yeah, the 65' is 14 feet and my 64' is 16

Re:Need advice for restoring 64' glasspar tacoma 13 years 10 months ago #9804

Welcome aboard!
You've come to the right place. Post some pics when you can and just fire away with the questions. You'll get some good advice here from a lot of good people.

Hurry up with the pics! We love pics! lol :laugh:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Need advice for restoring 64' glasspar tacoma 13 years 10 months ago #9806

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Welcome
Pics, Pics, please.
You have chosen a good "home" with lots of wonderful folks.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Need advice for restoring 64' glasspar tacoma 13 years 10 months ago #9810

lol thanks everyone for the warm welcome. i will post up pics in a few days..

Re:Need advice for restoring 64' glasspar tacoma 13 years 10 months ago #9811

• Rod-B
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
boating_newbie wrote:

oh yeah, the 65' is 14 feet and my 64' is 16

The 14ft model was the Tacoma 100 and the 16ft model was the Tacoma 200. Very similar to the Avalon models of the late 50's (That's for the Tacoma 200).

Re:Need advice for restoring 64' glasspar tacoma 13 years 10 months ago #9821

so it's the tacoma 200 i have then?? could anyone suggest a way to remove the paint w/o hurting the fiberglass? if so, what kind of paint should i use when i repaint?? and what is this "gelcoat" i keep reading about? told u i had a ton of questions!!! lmbo.. this is just the tip of the iceberg :)..thanks for all your help everyone. this is the ONLY plce ive been able to get some answers at.

Re:Need advice for restoring 64' glasspar tacoma 13 years 10 months ago #9823

Gel coat is a hard almost plastic like paint that all boats have. The color or paint you see on a new boat is no paint, but is actually gel coat which is sprayed inside the mold first, then they add the fiberglass and resin to form the boat. Once everything is cured they "pop" the boat out of the mold and the gelcoat that was under the fiberglass is now the exterior finish on the outside of the boat.

Get us some pics when you can showing closeups of the finish on your boat and people will start posting the different ways they would approach the process. The pics help tell a lot about what needs to be done because every situation is different. It also helps for everyone to know what type of use you plan for the boat and what type of money you are wanting to spend, or can spend.
Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Need advice for restoring 64' glasspar tacoma 13 years 10 months ago #9826

thanks alot doug! my sister n law is gonna come over tomorrow so we can get some pics up on here. ill get a close up of the cracking. then maybe u guys can tell me what all im in for lol.

Re:Need advice for restoring 64' glasspar tacoma 13 years 9 months ago #10542

FINALLY!! lol ive got a pic of the boat posted on my profile. there is also a close up of the paint.. how do i fix this, is there an easier way??

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)