• Page:

TOPIC: It was a sad day!

It was a sad day! 13 years 10 months ago #9256

• JAG
  • JAG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
After months of hard work and thinking for sure The Barracuda would be ready for the Algonac Boat Show at the end of this month the fickle finger of fate struck hard last week.
I took her out for a final test ride before installing the engine cover and balance of the interior. When I took off from the dock she was running great but on the way back down the lake to the dock she started loosing RPM bad. I knew somthing was not right so shut her down and costed to the dock and pulled the boat. Got her home and put water to her and she was ratteling like a brass band! To make it short, she spun four rod berrings. Ouch!!
JAG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:It was a sad day! 13 years 10 months ago #9258

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
VERY sorry to hear that John, any possible cause identified yet?

Mark

Re:It was a sad day! 13 years 10 months ago #9259

• JAG
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
This engine had been down and redone before I bought the boat and was done about 16 years ago. The boat sat after that till I bought it. The short story, rear main was cut 1/4 inch short which allowed the oil to flow to the bell housing when RPM forward thrust was put on the engine and starved the crank for oil, other things also due to a poor job by someone who did not know what they were doing when putting this engine back together.
When it goes back together this time it will be new! DAM!

Re:It was a sad day! 13 years 10 months ago #9262

So sorry John - you said it was not good but I didn't expect to hear it was this bad. Well - Lida Rose will be that much better for a proper rebuild.
Maybe this will cheer you up...

Re:It was a sad day! 13 years 10 months ago #9267

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Johm, you have did everything correctly so far so I am sure you will win in the long run.This shouldn't take long to get you floating again,., good luck Bill

Re:It was a sad day! 13 years 10 months ago #9280

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Looks like a Graymarine. FYI, Lakeland Auto and Marine in Port Clinton, OH is a great source for Gray parts and advice. Hope you can be back on the water soon.

Re:It was a sad day! 13 years 10 months ago #9285

MAn, I hate to hear that JAG. At least we know it will be better than new once you get done with it!
Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:It was a sad day! 13 years 10 months ago #9286

Well Jag that just sucks.
But now is the time to look at the glass as being half full. You will beable to rebuild it the way you want it. Bigger cam, port and polish those heads, hardend valves seats, bore her out. And when she fires for that first time oh boy. That way when you hit the water you will have all the confidence in the world of your power plant.
Oh I have a second option for you. I have a spare running 75 HP Scott you could borrow and hang on the back for the summer. hehe

D

Re:It was a sad day! 13 years 10 months ago #9289

A very sad day. I've seen a lot of damaged engines from poorly installed parts. Most times the person that did the work saw the problem and the justifications to let it go can get wild. From the pics it looks like your quick thinking to shut down limited the damage to the bearings. If there is a bright side you didn't frag the motor at WOT. I always recomend the use of gauges. An oil pressure gauge can make the difference between a rebuild or replacement.

Re:It was a sad day! 13 years 10 months ago #9293

• bogman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Geezzzeee, well as others have said your restoration will be complete after this. Sorry to hear, keep a smile on your face and getr done !!

Dan

Re:It was a sad day! 13 years 10 months ago #9431

• JAG
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I picked up a reconditioned crank and a set of connecting rods from them this morning. We now have all the replacement parts and are working hard to get her back together time for Algonac show.
JAG

Time to get-r-done! 13 years 10 months ago #9441

• MarkS
Somebody put on another pot of coffee, we're pulling an "allnighter"!!! (Just had a flashback of cleaning out a block in the car wash bay at 2AM) Good luck John, we're all pulling for ya' bud.

Mark

Re:Time to get-r-done! 13 years 10 months ago #9459

Keep after it Jag !!! Your an inspiration to us all !!!!

Mike Russon

Re:Time to get-r-done! 13 years 10 months ago #9464

• JAG
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Took the heads to "Performance Automotive" here in Hillsdale early this AM. They are installing all new hardened intake and exhaust valves and seats and correcting anyhting else that might be needed on the heads. They finished boiling the block yesterday and honing the cylinders and the engine is back at "Tri State Fleet and Trucking" a super great guy and mechanic Mr Jay Bumpus owns the place and he's just great! I figure anyone who has been rebuilding Kentworth, Mack and Peterbuilt engines all his life would consider this job duck soup, he's starting reassemply of the block today and Performance should have the redone connecting rods ready tomorrow.
JAG

Re:Time to get-r-done! 13 years 10 months ago #9478

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Do you want me there Monday for my ride? that will be the power challenge,,things will get better be fore they get worse,,see ya Bill

Re:It was a sad day! 13 years 9 months ago #11188

• MarkS
JAG, have we got the fresh motor broken in yet? (Paul's Barracuda post reminded me of your dilemma, didn't want to "thread jump" him.)

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'