Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Classics Newby, how to know if it is a fair price?

Classics Newby, how to know if it is a fair price? 13 years 10 months ago #9156

A friend of mine recently bought a nice 1961 Elgin... and I really like it. I'm considering buying a classic boat for myself. I have no idea what is a fair price for the boats I'm looking at. Example, a 1962 Glastron 16 footer that looks like it is real good shape... $2,800. I have no idea if that is a reasonable price. Are there any sources I can use to help me figure out how much I should be willing to pay for some of these boats?

Thanks,
Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Classics Newby, how to know if it is a fair price? 13 years 10 months ago #9157

Since there are really no set values for classic boats, ive heard this over and over ad nausueam....

"A boat is only worth what your willing to pay for it..."

And it pretty much holds true. ;)

With that said though, you should easily be able to find a clean, turn key glassic for 2500 dollars or less.

Re:Classics Newby, how to know if it is a fair price? 13 years 10 months ago #9158

Here's a recent thread on this topic

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/main-forum/fiberglassic-prices

It depends a lot on where you are - but - I have to say that for $2,800 you should be able to get turn key boat in very good condition if not restored...and...with all due respect to Glastron afficianados... a more interesting classic than a '62 Glastron.

Take some time and study...there's no shortage of boats for sale.
Here's an example - www.fiberglassics.com/index.php?option=com_adsmanager&page=show_ad&adid=326&catid=1&Itemid=56

Peter
in Denver

Re:Classics Newby, how to know if it is a fair price? 13 years 10 months ago #9210

A lot also depends on the motor. If they have an ETEC hanging on it the price is cheap. If you are buying a project that is too much for a user boat. I agree with the shop around advice. Find out what is on the market before you dive in. You will have much better luck if you take your time. And yes, a great deal might get away but you also could save yourself from the floating money pit.

Re: Classics Newby, how to know if it is a fair price? 13 years 10 months ago #9215

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
My advice, find a freind local to you who can help. Gleaming trim and shiny gelcoat may be hiding soft floor stringers, a rotted transom, a money pit. Or it may indicate a well taken care of classic. Find someone knowledgable to help. This site is a great place to find someone nearby who can help you. [you didnt list your location] And then there is the motor, a whole other concern from a 'regularly scheduled maintenence' standpoint. Two stroke outboards DO smoke 'somewhat', but waterpump impellers, gear oil, compression numbers, thers is really so much to consider when pricing a glassic.
Lastly, even really unique boats can be found reasonably priced. Buy it for love, enjoyment, expect to get dirty, and don't expect to resell at a profit. -jim

Re:Classics Newby, how to know if it is a fair price? 13 years 10 months ago #9225

Thanks for all the advice fellas. I'm definately not in this to turn a profit. I just want to get a nice small boat that my family can have fun with. We have a pontoon boat that is great, but Dad would like something small and fast to zoom around in? At first I started looking at classics because it seemed the cheapest route, but now I've gotten to the point where I dig the "classic" look and feel of the boats.

I'm on lake allatoona just northwest of Atlanta. If anyone in this area wants to take me under their wing... that's fine with me!

Thanks again

Re:Classics Newby, how to know if it is a fair price? 13 years 10 months ago #9233

I go to Craigslist and search "classic", "vintage" and "antique" under Boats. You never know what you'll find. Caught this one today in NH. nh.craigslist.org/boa/1773246252.html

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Classics Newby, how to know if it is a fair price? 13 years 10 months ago #9236

Small and fast? Glasspar G3.
Great ski boat - terrific classic - dime a dozen even when restored. Check the G3 forum here at FiberGlassics.

I sold mine for $1,200

Peter
in Denver
Attachments:

Re:Classics Newby, how to know if it is a fair price? 13 years 10 months ago #9255

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Jeff, and welcome to FG. I live about an hour south of Atlanta, if you find something on this side of town you want to check out I'd be glad to help you out. I was going to send you my cell number in a PM, but you're not "confirmed" yet as a member here. (Can't send you a PM until you are.) As soon as you are let me know, and I'll send you that info. Good luck with your search.

Mark

Re:Classics Newby, how to know if it is a fair price? 13 years 10 months ago #9287

There's a nice looking Glasspar Citation in the Glassifieds for $1600. It's in Ga and looks to be a good deal from the pics and description. I'm not associated with this boat, just spotted the listing.

Citation in FG glassifieds

If you take your time and look around you can find some nice deals out there. I've seen real nice glassics sell for $700-2000. Just keep your eyes peeled. Good luck!

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)