Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seafair sedain again....

Seafair sedain again.... 13 years 10 months ago #9107

Thanks for info previously shared.
I went tonight to look at a "1964" sedan. Serial number on tag was 17DX4 ??? This seems to indicate 1964?
Helm to starboard, 80Hp Merc outboard claimed to be original to boat.

The plywood "floor" was totally rotten, but I could not see much wrong with the hull itself. Am I correct in thinking there would be fiberglass stringers in this boat? There is a little give to the transom when the motor is bounced. Maybe a quarter to one-half inch in the center. Is this normal? There was a small--maybe 9/16"-- dripping hole at the very bottom center of the transom. Should there be a hole there?
I noticed, in the cuddy cabin sole maybe six inches forward of the door, what looked like a 1" plastic fill plate. What's this?
Also, no gas tank. There's a filler on the port side deck a few inches behind the cabin bulkhead, but no actual tank.... What was the factory setup?

Overall, I'm not sure whether to get involved with this boat. Any advice appreciated.....

am

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Seafair sedain again.... 13 years 10 months ago #9118

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
YES, A.M. That # should be 1964. YES,, OutBoard versions after 1962 should have the fiberglass stringers in bottom hull. Inboards needed wood weight capacity.

. What city / location you in .?? Very bottom small screw in water plug is standard. . Also push in round plug , left side at floor level drain. . Inside cabin round floor vent or sight inspect. . Mine also had a few front toilet fittings / thru hull, but that was early 60's before clean water standards.

. Gas tanks should be the portable hand carry 6 to 10 gals. There were some SIDE MOUNT gas tanks as extra offshore, but not sure (?) if extra filler hole had to be cut in top gunnel .?

Do you have the wood cabin DOORS, bulkhead.?

Re:Seafair sedain again.... 13 years 10 months ago #9124

Thanks, split, for the info.

The cabin door is missing. Rest of the wood, as far as I can see, is present but fairly loose and weathered. Rub rail on one side is totally shot. Needs attention but nothing overwhelming. I'm mainly concerned about structural integrity and not having to cut the transom out.... There is some issue with the port side connection between the transom and the topside.

Boat has a spotlight, air horn, funny standing-on-a- pillar front combination light, a few other 60s decorations. Steering is locked up, shift and throttle cables seem OK.

How would this boat do with a 55 hm Bearcat/Homlite OB?

Thanks again

Alan

Re:Seafair sedain again.... 13 years 10 months ago #9155

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
A.M. .If the front Bow light is like the photo below , it is a very desirable hardware combination .. The top half was also used for the Custom Craft speedsters built out of Buffalo , New York.

.. We were using a 55hp Johnson , 2 cyl and did quite well , as these are light hulls. I heard the Bearcat unit is quite Heavy .??
.. Not sure your LOOSE , port side panel pos question ,. I did find loose side windows / housings, as the round washers rust away over time , & enlarge out the f/g trim pillar, so that it slides back away from the windshield. Believe they are about 10/32 size flat washers.

. This also a east coast boat built in Petersburg , VA.? What color combo you looking at .?

Re:Seafair Sedani yet again.... 13 years 10 months ago #10294

Going to look at one described as 1966 to 1969, looks decent from pics.

I think somebody wrote that these hulls changed quite a bit structurally, and got heavier. Am I remembering this correctly?

Would one of this vintage ('66 to '68) have the fiberglass stringers? Plywood transom core I presume?

Any guidance much appreciated.

Alan

Re:Seafair sedain again.... 13 years 10 months ago #10297

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
A: After 1967 LARSON became the parent company. . Just like AMF (Bowling co.) took over Harley Davidson cycles , thought they had better idea ..??

. The sedan hull model may have been stretched to 18 1/2 ft , then to 19 ft in early 70's. Can't really agree with your comment hulls quiet different. . The whole industry was going to I / O HP engines, wood stringers should be on those models to support more load weight. . Cabin may have extra space , like a ice box, sink , etc.?

WHAT CITY are you in , we may have other members to assist you .???

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)