Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for any info on this boat

Looking for any info on this boat 13 years 10 months ago #9010

I purchased a so-called 1986 Dawson boat with a Mercury Tower of power 115 motor. Now I cannot find any info on this boat at all, Dawson only made boats from 1976-1978 and none of them what I seen resemble my boat.

There is no such Dawson 1986, but yet my hin number states it is a 1986 on the boat and title. I did a Hin search and came up with this.

HIN: DAW17002J586
Model Year: 1986
Certification Year: 1985 (October)
Manufacturer: J & J INDUSTRIES INC
Manufacturer City/State: BRIELLE NJ
Plant: Closed

My question is was this a custom boat built for someone because I cannot find any history or photos of it. I have more photos of it in my gallery. It is metal flakes silver and burgundy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I am thinking that J&J Industries may have licensed the Dawson name and were fabricating Bass Boats under that name until they went under.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Looking for any info on this boat 13 years 10 months ago #9015

Your boat was built in October 1985 as a 1986 model year boat. "J" = October and the "5" = 1985 and the "86" = model year 1986. The numbers "17002" were the company's internal serial number and are meaningless unless you know how that firm assigned the numbers.

According to the MIC database from the US Coast Guard, DAW = Dawson Boat Co. of Pensacola, FL from 1981 to 1992. The prefix "DAW" was reassigned to J & J Industres in 1997. The Coast Guard recycled the prefixes after a few years of a boat building being out of business.

I could not find a single reference to Dawson Boat Co. in newspaperarchive.com and googlenewsarchive.com

Andreas

Re:Looking for any info on this boat 13 years 10 months ago #9017

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
T.P. : That Andreas gives good complete information. .Now that we know the search goes to Pensacola, florida , I would write a E-mail to that COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY ,(Not their Chamber of Commerce) & ask for history of that company.

It should be quite easy for them to only go back to mid 80's.
L.

Re:Looking for any info on this boat 13 years 10 months ago #9022

Wow guys thank you that is some serious info on it, but now I fear I have more issues.. Motor most likely will need replacing or rebuilding.

Compression

1 - 135
2 - 135
3 - 100
4 - 100
5 - 100
6 - 100

Either way I plan on restoring this boat back to its original luster :)

This is what I got on Dawson Boat Co.
Florida Profit Corporation
DAWSON BOATS, INC.
Filing Information
Document Number P97000052474
FEI/EIN Number 593452779
Date Filed 06/12/1997
State FL
Status INACTIVE
Last Event ADMIN DISSOLUTION FOR ANNUAL REPORT
Event Date Filed 09/15/2006
Event Effective Date NONE

Company shut its doors in 1997, which is when as you stated J&J took it over, At least I know it is truly a Dawson, I just cant figure out why I cant find any info on it anywhere on the web. I mean how many of these bass boats did they build in this year?

Re:Looking for any info on this boat 13 years 10 months ago #9026

Most likely Dawson Boat was a very small firm. The local newspaper may have articles about them, especially at the start up and if there were problems such as bankruptcy at the end.

Just because J & J took over the "DAW" prefix, does not necessarily indicate that J & J took over the product line of Dawson or took over their assets.

The US Cost Guard MIC datbase mentions the name of Tom Dawson affilitaed with Dawson Boats. So, you have a person's name to research.

Andreas

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)