Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: sole replacement in banshee (floor)

sole replacement in banshee (floor) 13 years 10 months ago #8914

• tyeechaser
  • tyeechaser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The floor in the banshee is installed in two pieces, split down the middle and then screwed to the floor braces which I made today. I will glue and glass them in tomorrow.
The old floor was powder when I removed it. Fortunately, the braces under the floor were usable as patterns.
Now the big question? How do I make a pattern for the floor halves. I have a straight line down the centerline from bow to stern on each half. Its a 10 ft run so I will have to scarf the plywood to get the 10 ft. I'm stumped as to how to get the inside line where at the inside of the chines. A guy on utube suggested thin foam board for pattern paper but no hint on how to get the correct curve. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thansk, Mike
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:sole replacement in banshee (floor) 13 years 10 months ago #8924

Mike - Go to Lowe's and get a roll of heavy builders paper. They often roll it out on walkways to protect wood floors after being put down. Sort of looks like a paper bag on a roll. Roll it out square to the center of the boat and tack it to the floor supports. Then simply press the chine side of the paper to the side of the boat and crease it as you move up. Using heavy scissors, cut the crease, and there's your curve.

Brian

Re:sole replacement in banshee (floor) 13 years 10 months ago #8928

I would get cardboard and tape it together enough so you have a piece big enough for the area to be covered in wood. Then use a compass - dividers - or a scribing tool to trace the outside of the boat onto the cardboard. Lay the cardboard on the wood retrace you marks and cut.
Sometimes you can get big sheets of cardboard at an appliance store or if you have to buy it. I get it at the local craft store.

D

Re:sole replacement in banshee (floor) 13 years 10 months ago #8941

• tyeechaser
  • tyeechaser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the suggestions. On my way to town to pick up the materials. Appreciate the hints more than you can know!! Mike

Re:sole replacement in banshee (floor) 13 years 10 months ago #8943

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You can also take a measurement from the centerline to the chine, about every foot or so, along the length of the boat. Make sure it's at a 90 degree angle to the centerline. Lay out the measurements on the plywood, then use a batten or some other piece of flexible material to connect the dots, that'll give you the curve too. It's the reverse of lofting that we use to do layouts in boatbuilding- Google "lofting boat plans" and you'll get plenty of info!

-Andrew

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)