• Page:

TOPIC: 1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration

1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 11 months ago #8746

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Ok didn't know how to post these to the gallery so I'm trying here.

This was my grandfather's boat. When he died my dad bought it from my grandmother and he passed so now I have it. It's been a lake boat all its life. It's been in a garage all it's life and hasn't seen water since 1980. Is hould have taken some before shots but I forgot. Also my dad had already stripped it and started refinishing it but left a can of oil on the port bow. It leaked and raised the varnish. I stripped the whole thing and started from scratch. I wasn't sure what color filler stain he used or what was factory so I just used Interlux CC Red Mohogany.

Yes that is a 1959 Evinrude "Fatty" Fifty on the back. I have the original Jubilee starter/choke plaque and Attwood steering wheel. They're off in the garage for the renovation.

Here are the stained pics:

These are the back rain cover and cushions. The cushions will be remade to original specs.

I'll post more once the varnishing is done. I'm coat 3 now with 9 more to go.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 11 months ago #8750

Congratulations on a job well done. The boat looks great, and that's an especially good looking 59 evinrude. Can't beaat the sound of those early V-4's.

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 11 months ago #8754

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like she's coming along nicely Bob. You've got the best of both worlds going on with your Clipper, IMHO. (Fiberglass hull and the warm, rich wood on the deck. Also love the "lineage" of the boat in your family, thanks for sharing with us. Please keep us updated with your progress as your project comes along.

Mark

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 11 months ago #8758

Very nice work Bob. What a treasure you have there. I can't wait to see more pics!

Frank

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 11 months ago #8760

Sweet!

Andreas

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 11 months ago #8761

• DelRay
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I want one...I want one! Very cool boat fiberglass hull and wood deck. Ya have to keep us posted on the restore

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 11 months ago #8766

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Very nice- I love the boats with the fiberglass hulls and wood decks. Classic looking, and a piece of history from the 'transition' from wood to glass.

I've got that same motor, too- It just doesn't look that nice :)

-Andrew

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 10 months ago #9171

Oh wow! I have the same boat! Didn't think I'd find anyone out there with one. Great job with the work you've done so far - I wish I found this post before I started "restoring" mine last year.

I bought it a few years ago with a 1964 Merc 650, and a 1960 Gator trailer. The engine was recently rebuilt, and the trailer is my next project.

Unfortunately my boat spent most of its life outdoors and exposed (no cover or anything. Most of the wood decking and trim (especially on the bow) was seriously rotted. The problem with the design of the bow on the Empire Clipper is water will pool and collect. To make things worse, it was painted over the years with latex which didn't allow the wood to "breathe" and it retained moisture. So the deck from the console forward was replaced, but without the trim so water will drain off rather than collect and pool. Instead of varnish I used several coats of outdoor spar urethane.

Thankfully the gunwhales were in good shape except for the starboard side near the stern. Otherwise, the hull and transom are solid.

I didn't keep the windshield - the frame was rotted in places, and I don't have the woodworking skills to build a new one to original spec. Plus for my purposes I didn't need it.

So I've refitted the boat for fishing. I removed the floor (not original) and raised it a foot.

Some pictures...

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 10 months ago #9179

Finally figured out how to add pictures.

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 10 months ago #9182

Ad from 1959 Popular Science and Popular Mechanics...
Attachments:

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 10 months ago #9183

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nessman,
Great job on your boat. I have to admit I looked up your boat last year when I first brought mine home from my dad's. Well I looked on the internet for pics and yours came up. The ones before you started the restoration.

From the looks of it yours was equipped a little different than mine is. I have the old cable steering system and still have the original Attwood steering wheel. I also have a Chrome search light that goes on the port side in front if the windshield and a chrome horn that goes on the starboard side in front of the windshield. I also don't have the chrome bildge vents. I have 10 coats of Epifanes wood gloss finish on with two more to go. Once those are on I'll put the windshield back on and the rest of the hardware and take some more pics.

I still have to strip the floor and sides. I'm going to use LeadOut stripper since the paint is lead based. I still haven't decided what to use on the floor and sides yet.

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 10 months ago #9184

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice ad. I'll have to dig up the original brochure I found at my dad's and post it. It has all the 1960 models available at the time.

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 10 months ago #9185

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice ad. I'll have to dig up the original brochure I found at my dad's and post it. It has all the 1960 models available at the time.

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 10 months ago #9187

Waterwings wrote:

Nessman,
Great job on your boat. I have to admit I looked up your boat last year when I first brought mine home from my dad's. Well I looked on the internet for pics and yours came up. The ones before you started the restoration.

From the looks of it yours was equipped a little different than mine is. I have the old cable steering system and still have the original Attwood steering wheel. I also have a Chrome search light that goes on the port side in front if the windshield and a chrome horn that goes on the starboard side in front of the windshield. I also don't have the chrome bildge vents. I have 10 coats of Epifanes wood gloss finish on with two more to go. Once those are on I'll put the windshield back on and the rest of the hardware and take some more pics.

I still have to strip the floor and sides. I'm going to use LeadOut stripper since the paint is lead based. I still haven't decided what to use on the floor and sides yet.

Thanks... a lot of time went into it - a learning experience every step of the way as this is my first boat. Sounds like we're members of a very small and exclusive club as you're the only other person I know with the same year/make/model. The price was right (at time of purchase)... I don't want to think how much I've spent since then - especially on the engine... but it's much cheaper than making payments every month. Hopefully I'll get several good years out of it before having to do anything more than regular maintenance.

I went with an outdoor carpet I got from Home Depot... and the floor is in individually carpeted sections for easy replacement if I still have it down the road. But looks like you definitely have the original floor. The floor in the bow on mine is still original.

Most of the hardware on mine I'm guessing isn't original and has been replaced or added over the years... I didn't see the vents in the ad and with the way the boat is now fitted isn't necessary so I didn't replace them.

Yeah - if you can post the original ad that'd be great. I believe Wagemaker went out of business in the early 60's - so there isn't much info out there and my guess is not many Empire Clippers were made.

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 10 months ago #10163

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ok, here are some more of the long awaited update pictures. The bench pic didn't come out good so I have to retake that one. My scanner is on the blink so I haven't been able to scan in the original Wagemaker brochure. That's coming soon.

The reflections on the bow are from the bushes. Not the best area to take pics but it will have to do until I can get her done and launched for some good water pics.
Attachments:

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 10 months ago #10164

Jealous. Beautiful job!

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 9 months ago #11301

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, here is the long awaited Bench pic and some pics of the inside stripped.

As you can see I still have to sand add more varnish to the transom engine support.

I also have to decide how and what I'm painting the inside. That question is actually on my 1960 Wagemaker transom help thread.
Attachments:

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 9 months ago #11310

The ad from 1959 suggests a light color (white?).

Just bear in mind you'll have an engine over those marks on the transom, so don't get too crazy with it.

Still jealous. :-)

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 9 months ago #12127

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK,Here's a couple more pics.

The motor off the transom and on the fresh built stand.
Used some 2"x4"s I had left from building the shed. Along with a couple of 2"x12"s instead of 2"x6"s, since I didn't have any.

Here's the inside primed. Still have to sand with 320 (per Interlux directions on the Brightsides can).

Hopefully I can start first coat tomorrow after work. This is taking awhile since I can only work on it afetr work and weekends. It's been damn hot here lately! 100 with heat index. Southern Maryland doesn't usually get this hot. Thought I was back in Pensacola FL for while there.

More to follow soon I hope.

Bob
Attachments:

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 8 months ago #13349

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, here are some more update pics.

OK so the speckling job isn't as good as I'd like it but not too bad for the first shot at it. Who knows, maybe I'll get it completely right on the next boat! ;) Yeah wife will love that.

I'm working on the hull now, wet sanding. This is with 400, plan on using 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000, then rubbing compound and polishing compound.

I'll put it all back together once I get the hull done. I have to replace the rubrail also.

More to follow.

Bob
Attachments:

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper resto Updates 13 years 7 months ago #15807

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, here are some more update pics my father-in-law took. I still have to take some now that all the hardware is back on.

I've still gotten more done since these pics but haven't had the time to take more. Transom support board is back on as well as the motor and steering cabling. I've cleaned the bimini, as best I can anyway and polished the aluminum hardware for it. Just have to finish polishing the windshield pieces. I'm trying to save up and replace it with Lexan since she'll be in the salt air here. I've been told the Plexi won't standup to it. I didn't want to drop $250-$300 on a half sheet of Lexan so I'm going to milk the old one for now. I also have to clean up the rub rail some how. Can't find new that matches.

More pics soon.

Bob

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 7 months ago #15814

• MarkS
She's looking great Bob, very nice work.

Mark

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 7 months ago #15843

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Mark, she's getting there, slowly.

Bob

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 7 months ago #15844

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Sure Looking Nice, I kinda wish mine had the wood deck but then again... its nice to not worry about rot LOL.

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 7 months ago #15846

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Jesse, thanks. I do like your all fiberglass clipper. I'm beginning to think that maybe mine is actually a '59, hmmmm. As far as wood rot goes, that's why I put 12 coats of varnish on her and made sure it sealed the seams between all the boards, like caulk. ;)

Bob

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 7 months ago #15848

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice! I have a 1954 Trojan Sea Queen 14 that is very... Rough I intend to take apart in the next two months and begin to coppie and reassemble... so soon I will be into many coats of varnish lol.
Attachments:

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 7 months ago #15851

Boat looks great. You can tell it's a work of love. Always good to see a project turn out as wanted and be able to see what you have accomplished when done.

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 7 months ago #15852

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Gilligan, thanks I appreciate that.

Jesse, that's going to be a great boat. I like the microbus in the background. My first car was a 1960 vdub with the full sunroof. that was also my grandfather's/grandmother's.

See we never let anything go to waste. LOL

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 7 months ago #15853

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I dont think I plan to ever get rid of that old bus lol. its a project but will come along soon. Did a lot of work on it and decided to put it away untill I have more $$ for a new engine lol. then I got into boats...
always something!

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 6 months ago #17862

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, it's been slow going but here are more update pics. She's just about done. Windshield is finally in, along with the vent windows. I have to clean up the rubrails since I still can't find any to match and I also have to paint the Rude Fat Fifty cover. She's been in the water once to tweak the engine once I got her running.

Here she is in half rain gear.

Now in full rain gear.

I have to install the new snaps as you can tell from the droopy cover, but you get the idea. I still need to get the cushoins made also. Plan on taking her out this week if the wind will cooperate. Still plan on doing the antifoul this winter. Haven't decided if I'm going to strip the paint and polish the hull or strip and repaint the whole hull. Lots of little scratches in the gel coat that need tending. Also filled a couple of bubbles but used marine tex, so I'll have to paint.

Bob

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 6 months ago #17864

Awesome! Beautiful job! Wish the previous owners of my Clipper took better care of it.

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 6 months ago #17865

• MarkS
Looks fantastic Bob!

Mark

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 6 months ago #17867

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks guys. It's been fun to work on. I think the wife is ready for it to be done! LOL ;)

Bob

Re:1960 18' Wagemaker Empire Clipper restoration 13 years 6 months ago #17903

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Boat Looks great!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)