Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Source for '60s aluminum trim used in Glastrons?

Source for '60s aluminum trim used in Glastrons? 13 years 10 months ago #8596

Hello, all,

I'm hoping to find a source for that old aluminum trim Glastron used to put on all their boats from the mid 60s until at least 1969, when my boat was built.

They are mounted by being screwed in on the surface.

Anyone know the proper term for this item? If I knew what it is called perhaps it will be easier to find.

BTW, it measures 3/8 inch.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

http://batboat.blogspot.com/

Re:Source for '60s aluminum trim used in Glastrons? 13 years 10 months ago #8628

I had the same problem trying to find the aluminum rub rail for my Tomahawk, which was missing one section. Finally robbed some from an old junk boat in a field and formed it on my workbench to the proper shape. It is quite flexible and easy to bend to shape. I then polished it with a polishing/buffing wheel. Picture attached

Good luck.

Trying to resize photo
Attachments:

Re:Source for '60s aluminum trim used in Glastrons? 13 years 10 months ago #8631

I bought the rubrail for the Sabre that I just completed from Taco in Miami Florida. You usually have to buy it from a marine dealer, though. They have all kinds of aluminum trim, rubber insert, etc. Their phone # is 800-653-8568.

Haynes Fiberglass

Re:Source for '60s aluminum trim used in Glastrons? 13 years 10 months ago #8633

Yes TACO is an oustanding source for Glastron trim, rubrails, inserts, etc. But as mentioned earlier you have to buy it through a distributor.

My canvas shop has an account so I can buy their stuff at wholesale. But we don't purchase very much very often. I believe my minimum order amount is something like $200 bucks.

If'n ya need more than $200 bucks wortha stuff I can probly help. You pay shipping from FL ...

Re:Source for '60s aluminum trim used in Glastrons? 13 years 10 months ago #8677

Hello Darren: I have gotten my aluminum half oval predrilled rube rail from RubRails.com. You can get it in up to 12-ft. lengths. Shipping is expensive. If you can get along with 6-ft. lengths the shipping is about 1/4 of the cost. You can get any amount.

www.rubrails.com/aluminum_half_oval.html

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin

My Tomahawk came with no rub rail at all. Bent easily, for the tight turns on the dash and side panels sharp bends I made a jig so the aluminum would not "roll over" during bending.
Attachments:

Re:Source for '60s aluminum trim used in Glastrons? 13 years 10 months ago #8770

gdanderson wrote:

Hello Darren: I have gotten my aluminum half oval predrilled rube rail from RubRails.com. You can get it in up to 12-ft. lengths. Shipping is expensive. If you can get along with 6-ft. lengths the shipping is about 1/4 of the cost. You can get any amount.

www.rubrails.com/aluminum_half_oval.html

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin

My Tomahawk came with no rub rail at all. Bent easily, for the tight turns on the dash and side panels sharp bends I made a jig so the aluminum would not "roll over" during bending.

Can you explain the jig setup you built for this? Any pics? I would be interested in seeing how you tackled the job and it would probably help others who are "in the same boat" so to speak. :)

Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)