Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for Manual for a 66' 33hp Johnson RXEL-14R

Looking for Manual for a 66' 33hp Johnson RXEL-14R 13 years 10 months ago #8366

I'm looking for an online or PDF document manual for a 1966 / 33hp Johnson Model # RXEL-14R ... I have a boat shaking 'hitch' that is occuring while running forward. I believe it might be an adjustment I need to make in the lower unit ... OR ... A tech told me today that if some gear down there is worn (which is typical I guess?) then I can just swap it out with the reverse gear and the 'hitch' will only occur when in reverse. ... My uncle told me he had the same thing occur on his Merc but he had an adjustable rod that he tweaked from the top ... anyways, so now I'm now looking for a manual for the motor / transmission. Any suggestions for finding the manual, or how to do what the tech suggested? (he said he couldn't get to it for two months, and summer and I are not waiting! - Thanks! - Darrin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Looking for Manual for a 66' 33hp Johnson RXEL 13 years 10 months ago #8384

Most manuals are copyrighted, so you'll be looking to get one from Ken Cook, etc. Also turn up on eBay. Selocs are about the best of the aftermarkets, but OEM is best...

The "hitch" is most likely the clutch dog. Continuing to run it as is will result in it taking out the forward gear, too. Flipping the dog end for end can work if the reverse side isn't worn. Otherwise it'll need replacing. Check for wear on the forward gear engagement lugs while you're in there...

Re:Looking for Manual for a 66' 33hp Johnson RXEL-14R 13 years 10 months ago #8385

have a look here.............

www.maxrules.com/

woosterken

Re: Looking for Manual for a 66' 33hp Johnson RXEL 13 years 10 months ago #8394

Chinewalker wrote:

The "hitch" is most likely the clutch dog. Continuing to run it as is will result in it taking out the forward gear, too. Flipping the dog end for end can work if the reverse side isn't worn. Otherwise it'll need replacing. Check for wear on the forward gear engagement lugs while you're in there...

I'll bet your right ... My uncle (who rode in the boat yesterday and fairly boat motor savvy) said the same thing you did, and that on his Evinrude, he had an adjustment topside that effected how snug it fit into gear? ... and that when his motor was "hitching" like mine, he was able to adjust it out.

Do you think there might be an adjustment like that on my Johnson in the lower unit?

Re:Looking for Manual for a 66' 33hp Johnson RXEL-14R 13 years 10 months ago #8395

woosterken wrote:

have a look here.............

www.maxrules.com/

woosterken

Thanks Woo! - I'll dig in there first, and into the lower unit later today ... my uncle also sent me a link to the parts list for my motor ... it shows the layout of the lower unit, but I'm still a bit nerved about digging in, oh, well, gotta learn it sometime! - Thanks, Darrin

Re:Looking for Manual for a 66' 33hp Johnson RXEL-14R 13 years 10 months ago #8868

Hitch fixed thanks to lee wangstad's suggestions ... through the inspection plate I was able to adjust where the shift rods (top and bottom) meet .. I gained about 1/16th of an inch and the hitch went away! - Thanks Lee! ... but the manual was very useful when I opened the lower unit to lay eyes on the gears and clutch dog .... all in perfect shape, resealed and no more leaky!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)