Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Paint job

Paint job 13 years 11 months ago #7578

I have a 14ft 1961 telcraft all black with some cracks in gel coat, anyone have any ideas how much a decent paint job would cost with some cosmetic body work needed. And any know if i could do some prep work my self save some money but still look decent once i get a pro paint job pls let me know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Paint job 13 years 11 months ago #7579

i did the prep work on my 14' mantaray,primed it, and masked it off. brought it to macco where they gave it 3 coats and baked it in an oven.$650.00. i later brought it back to 2 tone the deck at an additional $150.00. i supplied the paint.

Re:Paint job 13 years 11 months ago #7580

Carlpierre20 wrote:

I have a 14ft 1961 telcraft all black with some cracks in gel coat, anyone have any ideas how much a decent paint job would cost with some cosmetic body work needed. And any know if i could do some prep work my self save some money but still look decent once i get a pro paint job pls let me know.

Where are you located Carl? That would no doubt help. Pictures would be good too!

I had never done body work before, or did much fiberglass work. Being very budget limited, I learned how to do it myself, but it takes a lot of time when you start from zero like I did. There is certainly satisfaction in doing it yourself.

Here's a pictorial history of the nearly 4 year project. It didn't take 4 years because of my inexperience - it took 4 years because of lengthy interludes when my health was such I couldn't do much of anything.

www.powercatboat.com/Group/FA_14t/FA_14t01.html

Best of luck!

Frank

Re:Paint job 13 years 11 months ago #7598

i just bought primer ,two colors of base coat and clearcoat,it cost ,400 bucks,and im doing it all myself,i hope that helps,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Paint job 13 years 11 months ago #7615

I painted mine with Summit Racing brand Paint 89.00 a gallon Activator 19.99 Reducer 9.99 a quart Primer 59.99 a gallon plus the activator. I used some high build primer 79.99. Then you gotta think about the fillers and all the sand paper I had a mountain of that used. I had to use some fiberglass cloth and resin. I used a gallon of clear too. I changed some body lines on mine, this ran up the cost of fillers and time. I would set back 500.00 to get started. I would paint it yourself it's so rewarding to see the end product and tell everyone I did this it just takes time can't rush perfection. Here is a pic of my top half I did self taught for tips here and friends.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)