Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hopefully this is not a dumb question...

Hopefully this is not a dumb question... 13 years 11 months ago #7506

• Amigoid
  • Amigoid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
When a boat is rated for a certain HP motor, is that based on the amount of force the transom will handle? I looked at the weight of a 1975 Merc 1500 and it has a dry weight of 273 pounds.

The dry weight of an optimax 150 is 431 pounds.

If my boat is rated up to 200HP, does that mean I could bolt in a 510 pound Verado 200? Horsepower is horsepower, so whats the deal?

Its seems to me, that with the 1975 Merc weighing half as much as the newer models, I'm better off than if I had to buy a whole new motor.

I see these videos with small boats and huge outboards bolted on, or 2-3-4 engines! If my pocketbook could afford it, the 300XS weighs the same as a Verado, but is the boat just going to dramatically backflip every time I go WOT?

I hope this doesn't sound like a moronic question, although I admit unless I win the lottery no monster motor is going to appear on my boat. Is it the weight of a motor, the horsepower, or a combination of the two that has to be factored in when mounting an outboard motor on a boat?

Its academic at a certain point. I'm not a racer, or into bass fishing where you want to get to the fish the fastest, and at some point you just hit ridiculous speed (plaid?) where you hit a wake and fly onto your trailer three blocks inland. Its fun to go fast, but I'm confident what I have will be "fast enough".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Hopefully this is not a dumb question... 13 years 11 months ago #7514

amigoid,the only dumb questions are the ones that arnt asked.
as for your question ,someone with more experiace will have to help you,they should chime in soon,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Hopefully this is not a dumb question... 13 years 11 months ago #7530

• Amigoid
  • Amigoid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
As always Google is my friend, and Max O/B is the max HP recommended for the boat and usually theres a information plate affixed to the boat somewhere with the max passengers, max load, and max HP recommended.

However, my Nordic has no plate, and the company doesn't have a lot of info on the old boats.

Re:Hopefully this is not a dumb question... 13 years 11 months ago #7534

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I believe the weight of the outboard is only part of the equation, the amount of torque it applies to the transom and structure of the boat would probably be as much or more of a factor.

There are those who will say bigger (more power) is always better, but if it ends up on the bottom of the lake or river, it's not going to be much fun. Plus, your family will be riding in it, so keep that in mind. Even if it survives a 60 or 70+ mph run without breaking up, who's to say structural damage done won't rear it's head later when you're cruising "sanely" and hit another boats wake or something!?

I know you're frustrated with the 1500 right now, but it can all be sorted out, IMHO. From what I've read about your experience with your current mechanic/shop, it doesn't sound to me like they are doing you justice. I know good ones are hard to find, but the old guys at the lake you mentioned may be worth listening to.

PS - This isn't a dumb question, it's actually a very good one.

Just my two cents....

Mark

Re:Hopefully this is not a dumb question... 13 years 11 months ago #7540

Mark makes a good point. I built my transom for a lot bigger motor. My Merc1000 is a lightweight for the way I braced my new transom. I've got the hots for a 2.5 Merc, and built it for that. Now as to whether I ever get it...

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)