• Page:

TOPIC: Inflatables, towables, and recommendations

Inflatables, towables, and recommendations 13 years 11 months ago #7482

• Amigoid
  • Amigoid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
When I got the Nordic, we also got a couple kneeboards, a couple sets of skis and a long inflatable that seats 4. (looks like the jumbo dog, but its a different brand). Last vacation we rented a speedboat and a driver at Orange Lake FL and the boys absolutely loved riding on an inflatable tube that was big enough for 3 but with the two of them they were being slung all over the place.

So, some questions:

1. I have a ski tripod, and as I understand it, that is intended for ski ropes, not for directly attaching to towables. Is that correct?

2. I have a cable harness that has a float on a pulley that clips to the two rear rings on the stern, but my research says those are for single towables. Correct?

3. If I tow the large topedo inflatable, it will need to attach to one of the stern rings and of course will have to be a rope sufficiently strong enough to tow 4-5 people. Because I prefer to err on the side of caution I'll find the strongest one I can locate, one thats rated for a 6-person towable. Is there some rig I can use to equalize the load for the large towable between the two rings? (I worry about pulling a ring out from the forces.)

4. Anyone have experience with the "bungee" tow ropes that are used with the 1-2 person tow rings?

5. What's your favorite towable? Any particular ones give you a very wild ride?

6. Anyone have experience with the "training skis" where they have the two skis bolted together? I had to learn, old school, but I might consider them for my two boys if it helps them learn faster, plus I have about 10 other kids from friends and family that will want to learn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Inflatables, towables, and recommendations 13 years 11 months ago #7496

• Russ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
1 - Manufacturers recommend not towing inflatables from poles or towers.
2 - The cable and pulley set up is probably more suited to skiing.
3 - There are rope harnesses designed specifically to address what you are asking about. It is a rope with two connectors for each eye on the transom. In the center section is a connector for the tow rope and a float. Check out Overton's or Bart's for rope connector styles. You may be able to find them cheaper from other online retailers, but those guys have great sites for fun stuff.
4 - I've never used the bungee style rope. My kids and friends get plenty jacked up with a regular rope.
5 - Check out the SportStuff website. They have some great stuff, and they have videos of each of the inflatables in action. I picked up their Doable Slalom Jockey this year, and its a hit. You can steer it. I got mine from walmart.com for $150. It lists for $350 in the Overton's catalog that showed up in today's mail. Walmart has that and some other decent things for cheap. They may have a tow harness and rope as well.
6 - We've been teaching kids on the trainers, and it definitely makes a difference.

Enjoy.

Re:Inflatables, towables, and recommendations 13 years 11 months ago #7499

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the reply and here's a Karma point!

1. That's what I thought, thanks.
2. That's actually what we used back when I was a kid, rather than have the tripod or the giant metal frames I see on ski boats now.
3. As I suspected, but its nice to know.
4. Depending on the inflatable I may get a bungee rope, and if I do I'll report back.
5. I'll check out the Double Slalom Jockey. Thanks!
6. I wonder if there are rigs you can build to make regular pair of ski into trainers. I have 3+ sets now, so I can sacrifice an old pair.

I'll be checking Craigslist for some bargains.

I saw that Manta Ray towable -- holy smokes. Talk about wild... and dangerous...

Re:Inflatables, towables, and recommendations 13 years 11 months ago #7542

Best tube ever. Kids love it. It can be as scary or as safe a ride as you want. My son and his friend do barrel rolls on it.
Attachments:

Re:Inflatables, towables, and recommendations 13 years 11 months ago #7547

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
:woohoo:
Wow great pic, talk about pic==1000words.

I'll check that one out. I'd want to get something the boys can get crazy with. Thanks!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)