Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Drain tube help

Drain tube help 13 years 11 months ago #7143

I have a good idea of how to install a drain tube but want some help from those that have installed them.
First off what is the best way to cut the tube. Second is what is best to use to drill the hole and which side to drill from inside or outside
PS
I have the flang tool.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Drain tube help 13 years 11 months ago #7155

hi pathfinder i just recieved 3 brass drain tubes from ebay,for 5 bucks each,i think they have 4 left they are 2" long with an od of 1",ill get you the ebay number if you like,they shipped very fast 2 days from kentucky to pa.
as for drilling i would start out with a small bit from the outside in carefully,then go bigger from both sides,until you get the diameter you need.
or you can use a deepwell hole saw,1st drill it from the outside in,then as soon as the drill bit pokes through,take it out and drill from the inside,this should give you a neat hole on both sides,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Drain tube help 13 years 11 months ago #7159

Mike, I used a hole saw in the manner John describes, makes a nice clean cut. Make sure the hole is as low as you can get it. My hull tubes were a bit too high; my splashwell ones were done right!

Seems to me I had trouble crushing them when cutting with a hacksaw. Using a plumbers tube cutter seemed to walk all over the place. So I ended up carefully cutting them with my favorite metal working tool - my 4 1/2" angle grinder with a thin cut off wheel.

Another tip - make sure the hole is big enough that the tube slides easily in. If it's too tight and crimps on installation, it won't seal. I sealed mine with 3M 5200.

Frank

Re:Drain tube help 13 years 11 months ago #7170

Ok that was the way I was thinking of drilling the hole.
Thanks John
Frank that is how I will cut them. I have a old drill that will just fit inside so I can put it in the vise and won't crush it to hole it while cutting. Thanks
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Drain tube help 13 years 11 months ago #7180

I didn't have any problem with crushing with the cut-off wheel on my angle grinder Mike. I use that baby a lot so an pretty accurate with it. It's hard for me to understand how somebody who doesn't use it much would act with it, so all I can say is best of luck!

Frank

Re:Drain tube help 13 years 11 months ago #7182

Frank I'm not worried about crushing it with the cut off but not going to hold it in my hand and cut it. By putting that old drill inside is so it won't cush in he vise. I have alredy put a few slices in my hands using my cut off wheels in my angle grinder. I use the cut wheels instead of a hack saw all the time. Sure make it fast and easier.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Drain tube help 13 years 11 months ago #7194

Here is what has worked for me many times. A one inch drill bit is the size you need. Can be a hole saw or any thing that cuts one inch. Drill a practice hole in a 2/4. Fit needs to be close not tight. The 5200 will take up the slack. The most important part is to cut it the right length on the tube. I drill the hole put the tube in use a quarter or washer and mark it a little fatter so it is an eight of an inch long. You can cut it off by slipping a dow rod in it or some thing close. I use a plumbers cut off wheel (like the one they use to cut copper pipe with) If you have one that will adjust out to one inch. When you put it in for the final time use plenty of 5200 to much is better that not enought.
A few pictures.
Oh drill from the outside in and becarefull when you start to exit on the inside. It is easy to blow out body work or chip the glass on the inside.

Good Luck D
Attachments:

Re:Drain tube help 13 years 11 months ago #7197

OkI think 3/16 long on the tube. My hole saw is not long enough to go all the way though so will have to chip it out and keep going till through. I can take the masurements off the hole on the other side so I get it right. The bottom floor in my boat has chanal down the side at the back so the one side does not drain and holds about 2ins of water and want both sides to dran. Plus I have 2 dains to put in my Club Lido I'm restoring.
Thanks
Mike aka pathfinderz1

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)