Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Crosby find

New Crosby find 13 years 11 months ago #6555

Good Morning All,
I have just acquired a 1955 Crosby (I think a Hurricane) and would like to know about the "Crosby Owners Group" and how one becomes part of that group.
Thanks in advance,
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New Crosby find 13 years 11 months ago #6557

Paul,
To become a member of the Elite Crosby Group bring LOTS of unmarked 100 dollar bills with you to Muscatine.... there will be a guy in a trench coat and sunglasses. Give him the money... he knows where you live... you'll get all the "paperwork" later! ;)

LOL ... Are you going to post any pics of the old tug, or do we have to wait til Friday?

btw, Im holding you to the couple of cool ones we talked about on Friday night! See you guys then!!!

Re:New Crosby find 13 years 11 months ago #6575

Paul - I'm the originator of the COG and HOG. Haven't done anything with them in years, but at one time had about 100 members of the combined groups, and we did some good stuff. Very active about 10 years ago. Time flies on Fiberglassics. Let me know what you need and I may be able to help you.

Brian

aka crosbyboat

Re:New Crosby find 13 years 11 months ago #6580

Hi Brian, Well, I guess I wanted to find out more details about the Crosby product line of the mid 50's and to begin the process of figuring out what was original and what has been modified by previous owners of this little boat. The boat has definately been refinished along the line and it's time to do it again. New wood this time. No big deal for me.
It looks like there was a cast metal Crosby logo back near the transom on each side. If so, they are missing. If so, I'd like to find a way to procure or cast replacements. Any help here? In the past, on other boats, I've been able to borrow an existing one, use as a casting pattern, return the original to its owner and detail and chrome the new castings.
Also, is any source of Kainer hardware still available??
Thanks again,
Paul

Re:New Crosby find 13 years 11 months ago #6584

The original logos were actually originally plastic. I had 50 or so of them made, and the same number of Hydrodyne logos, but they are long gone. The ones I had made were of metal and tough as nails. LOL, we actually found a mortuary supplier who made cast urns for cremation remains who was happy to make them for us (can't remember the suppier's name as its been a while). Also had Crosby and Hydrodyne burgees made (Brewers Banners in Maine still in business), and had a die cut for the two part rub rail for the glass tops (WEFCO Rubber in California). Make sure your balsa core and transom are in good shape before going too far. I have been lucky at finding NOS hardware on ebay from time to time. A few photos of what was used on yours would be helpful as it may differ from what was on my 58 Capri.
Attachments:

Re:New Crosby find 13 years 11 months ago #6587

I got a hold of one of the Crosby plastic emblems, I ordered some casting silicone mould material so just hang tight a bit, I am going to make a set for the gentleman that I got the emblem from & I will make you an epoxy set of emblems too,

post a pic of your Crosby Im working on a 59 Crosby Capri with 59 Mark55A's
Attachments:

Re:New Crosby find 13 years 11 months ago #6588

wow brian,that is a beautiful boat!!!

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:New Crosby find 13 years 11 months ago #6590

Thanks John. Here's a few more.
Attachments:

Re:New Crosby find 13 years 11 months ago #6592

Hi MadProps,
Wow, that is a very kind offer that I surely accept and will cover all reasonable costs involved. Epoxy casting is very effective especially when filled with any of several fillers available. I just happen to be a MAS epoxy dealer.
Anyway, what finish methods are applied to epoxy castings to emulate the original??
I am in no rush but don't to miss this nice opportunity. So count me in!! THANKS!! B)
Now I've got to look back in archives to figure out how to post pix on this forum.
Paul

Re:New Crosby find 13 years 11 months ago #6596

Are the crosby emblems painted or chrome?

Re:New Crosby find 13 years 11 months ago #6597

here is another place to get crosby flags...............

vintageboatsupply.com/Flags_Home.html

some body else had them make him one for an MFG. he said it was really reasonalbe , some think like only $28.00

woosterken

Re:New Crosby find 13 years 11 months ago #6606

emblems are black plastic

Re:New Crosby find 13 years 11 months ago #6616

Re:New Crosby find 13 years 11 months ago #6757

im having "the flagchick"make my flag(burgee)with the cusom craft logo,and 1964 sunray,in the colors to match the teal and white,im going to paint it,you can email her at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:New Crosby find 13 years 10 months ago #8934

hey a newbie here the crosby emblems on my 58 are metal crome with black inside need a right side if ones out there thanks john

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)