• Page:

TOPIC: The best worst day ever.

The best worst day ever. 13 years 11 months ago #6272

• Heather
  • Heather's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
OK, I know the subject does not make much sense.
It was a wild day my friends.

The day started fine. Past the slips, "Where where the pretty sailboats live", Then it was out to play in the calm coves. I managed to get my new Sea Ray out of the box for some fun. Dad and I had a blast.

The day went on and there was a lot of action and things were perfect. As a mater of fact, I got a Call from Mark-S while I was out. Sorry Mark, but did not get it becasue of the engine noise while underway. _ Well, it was time for lunch and as we came around the point that leads to the best Pizza in the world, "Chucks Pizza". The engine started to skip and cut out. I thought O well, maybe some water in the gas. I knew it was more than this but I did not want to upset my dad. We had lunch and I tried to put it out of my mind. As we left Chucks going to goat island for the night over on the boat It cleared up for about 10 min, then got much worse!

In my mind I knew I had a problem but I tried to ignore it. Put it off, Maybe think it was a fluke... It will get better. We were 25 miles from the dock Truck and dads wheel chair. I was nervous to say the least.

We had a good night on the boat. DAD was happy and we watched Donivins Reef on the laptop. Talked, about mom.... And many things.

THIS MORNING:

I cooked a big breakfast on the Colman stove and it was a good one. Eggs, Bacon, french toast and biscuits. After all. It was to have been a great day. Just some motor sputter right? After the site and boat was all cleaned I snagged a fish and we took stock and took off for home port.

It was about a mile into the run the skip came back. I pulled the power back to a fast idle and it smoothed out. I had a smile for dad on my face but in the back of my mind I knew this was not good. To make matter worse the water was very rough this morning due to a front passing.. It was a confused sea. Then, it got worse. the engine started to die unexpectedly. It would run at idle for about 30 min then quit. This condition got worse as we pressed on to try to get to home port. By 10:30 we were dead in the water. I knew I had lost the ignition transistors. I flagged down a marine police officer and he could not help us or toe us in. By then 4 or 5 folks stopped and found out how far we had to go and just said... "Sorry, too far for us to pull you" and left us there. Then It happened. I knew the water was getting worse by the moment. We saw it and there was noting we could do. We were dead in the water. It was a rouge wave. 4' high and heading for our starboard side fast. With a huge slam we went 60 Deg over and lost much of our deck gear. The impact was so hard it crushed the bulkhead and tore the console off. Then, for no reason, the wind blew us into a calm cove and it's shores where a lady was taking in the overcast sun and asked if we were broken down. About in tears and embarrassed becasue I'm a marine mechanic and I have always pulled off the impossible limp er back in to port on one cylinder thing so many times, I knew my luck had run out. I've never had to be toed in. There is always the first time. Pride is a big pill to swallow.

I told her, Yes we were broken down and I feared it was fatal at this point. She assured me that she and her husband would town the NC2 and us back into our port. I told her. "It's 7 miles!" are you sure? She, without a worried word said "No problem's".

Before I could calm down, We were tied up & on and heading back in. The boat Beaten, badly broken and dead, we made it home by the help of 2 angels....... No mater how bad your day. It's how it ends. This is how we should judge it. And my friends, today was a great day!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:The best worst day ever. 13 years 11 months ago #6274

As always a great story Heather. Sorry to hear about your motor issues, and the embarrassment that goes with it. I've been in similar situation(s), and having rebuilt motors myself and knowing them from end to end it hurts to have to admit defeat.

What I do find surprising is that people left you stranded, without power. And the marine police too? That just doesn't seem morally correct to leave someone stranded on the water only to wish them good luck. Should have at least arranged for a proper tow for you to get safely back to port. Given the size of your boat and the large bodies of water you cruise on, I am suprised you don't have a little kicker motor on it for safety and/or fishin. Might be a slow ride home, but at least you would have had momentem or the means to turn into the rogue wave rather than take the brunt of its damaging force.

Glad you made it. I'm sure you'll have that boat & motor looking and running like new again shortly.

Re:The best worst day ever. 13 years 11 months ago #6275

Glad you made it in ok finally. That could have been a really bad deal there. My main concern at this point would be finding out what channels to follow while filing a formal complaint about the lack of safety concern the marine police showed. Seems to me that is part of their job. Maybe not to tow you the 7 miles, but at least tow you to a safe point along shore.

Doug

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:The best worst day ever. 13 years 11 months ago #6276

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
He, the Police was on his way to a call. Non emergency. But there rules are "They will pull you to the nearest ramp." it was about 1000 feet away from me... 7 miles from my truck. He would get me on the way back to take me to that ramp. He told me to put out the hook and wait for him.....No use to me with my dad in the boat and not able to walk. the others.. there was no excuse. I have stopped and pulled so many folks it's crazy. when it came to me... none but the 2 you saw in the photo..

BTW...
NCII is out of service and will be indefinitely.

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:The best worst day ever. 13 years 11 months ago #6278

The most memorable times are the ones that don't go as expected. Sudden storms blow in, running out of gas, falling overboard, dead battery, etc... What matters is that everyone comes home safe.

Re:The best worst day ever. 13 years 11 months ago #6285

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Very sorry to hear about your bad luck Heather. When I tried to call and didn't get an answer, I thought "hope she's out on the boat enjoying this beautiful day". SO bummed that so many left you stranded out on the water, that's NOT how that's supposed to work! Thank goodness for the nice lady and her hubby, and their Cobalt. Glad you and Dad made it back safely, I know that had to be tense.

I guess the law of averages says sooner or later distress on the water is going to happen, maybe your bad luck is out of the way for many years to come. Sure hope so. At least it wasn't self inflicted, like running up on a sand bar or something STUPID like mine. :blush: Maybe it's a good thing in the long run, keeps possible disaster in the thought process while out on the water, right?

Other than the obvious motor work, how bad is the NC2? I know you probably don't want to even look now, but you gotta fix her back up! Maybe this winter???? Sea Camper time?

Mark

Re:The best worst day ever. 13 years 11 months ago #6297

Well at least you got to watch a terrific movie with your dad!

Gillhooley

Re:The best worst day ever. 13 years 11 months ago #6299

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the kind words. Yes all was well becasue it ended well.
Mark, The reason the NC2 is down and shall be, I have focused all my efforts and money on getting my SeaRay 270 on the water by June. I need to pull the NCII apart and restore her as she should have been. The boat was meant to only last one season then, if it handled well I would restore her. That was 3 seasons ago now.
Attachments:

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:The best worst day ever. 13 years 11 months ago #6300

Man o man Heather, what a day! I'm just glad it ended okay. Motors can be replaced, people can't!

Good luck with NC's motor.

Frank

Re:The best worst day ever. 13 years 11 months ago #6302

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I forgot about the SR, she's getting close to ready tho, right!? 'Cept for the power, how's that coming?

Mark

Re:The best worst day ever. 13 years 11 months ago #6364

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
No,, the SeaRay has power, all 456 HP of it... Twin 307's
I think your thinking of the SeaCamper.

I have been lax in all my own stuff as of late. Business has been good and it's been ultra bizzy at the shop. But I need to get something reliable of my own going so I can get to some of my Glassics on the weekends..

I really only have 2 Projects of my own. The Sea Camper and 1957 Rocket.

The Sea Ray @ 1983 is a classic, but not a Glassic.
The Rocket and the SeaCamper are Oww and now the NCII.
Make that 3 Glassic Projects. I also got a butt load of old mercs in. I need to look to see whats parts, build-able and junk.
Attachments:

Mrs Spookeay Bird
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'