Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: new boat

new boat 13 years 11 months ago #5946

i just got a friber glass boat that i cant find any info on it the tag in the back says water wonderland fibre glass boat company inc based out of grand rapids mi the model says R 15 S i will post pics later i am hoping some one will know a little about this boat plesae help thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:new boat 13 years 11 months ago #5972

Look in the Classic Library section here: www.fiberglassics.com/library/Water_Wonder

They had one of the biggest finned boats ever built on one particular model.

Also look in the Aero Craft section, since Water Wonderland was purchased by Aero Craft.

Andreas

Re:new boat 13 years 11 months ago #6012

and areo craft was bought by johnson ty but that was the first place i looked not much info there thats why i was hoping for more help from the forums

Re:new boat 13 years 11 months ago #6013

ok i found out i have a 1958 comet 2 now i need to find specs and or service manual i hope some has an idea :)

Re:new boat 13 years 11 months ago #6015

Give it some time - have patience. Give folks a chance to look over your inquiry. There is not much information available on Water Wonderland Boats.

Boat manufacturer's did not publish service manuals. And you will most likely not find any specs for the boat, other than what may have been printed in a company brochure.

Aero Craft was not purchased by Johnson. Not sure where that information originated. Aero Craft aluminum boats (and later fiberglass was added) were built at St. Charles, MI by Harwill, Inc. In the Srping of 1969 the corporation was purchased by Browning Arms Company. They in turn sold the boat operation to Fuqua Industries in 1974. In late 1978 the St. Charles boat plant was closed and production moved to Decatur, IN.

Andreas

Re:new boat 13 years 11 months ago #6020

I just updated the Aero-Craft section with some 1958 and 1959 model lists if that's any help. Water Wonderland Fiberglass Boat Co. was kept as a division of Harwill Inc., and it seems the boats were marketed as Aero-Glas in 1958 and Aero-Craft in 1959, but the manufacturer's tags were marked with Water Wonderland Fiberglass Boat Co. of Grand Rapids until operations there were shut down and moved to St. Charles in 1960.

The following photo is of a Aero-Craft, probably a '59, with a tag labelled Water Wonderland Fiber Glass Boat Co.
Attachments:

Re:new boat 13 years 11 months ago #6109

here are some pics of my boat am i right on the model and stuff

Re:new boat 13 years 11 months ago #6111

pics again having problem uploading
Attachments:

Re:new boat 13 years 11 months ago #6195

Seems like you are right about the model: looks very much like a 1958 Aero-Craft/Aero-Glas Comet II. A neat little boat. Thanks for posting photos.

Re:new boat 13 years 11 months ago #6197

ur welcome bout the pics i will keep posting pics as i work on it im also trying to find a motor i think i found one but it is a 75 hp do you think it will handle that big or is that to much

Re:new boat 13 years 11 months ago #6203

I put together a library page explaining the information from the Boat Blue Books: www.fiberglassics.com/library/Blue_Book
The abbreviation key on that page shows that "SR" under "Type" stands for "Sports Runabout".

If someone has an original 1958 or 1959 Aero-Craft / Aero-Glas brochure, that should prove useful to you in your restoration (the one in the Library seems to be a photocopy). Hopefully someone who has one might see this post.

For a 14' boat, you might want to stay near the horsepower rating. The extra speed might be wasted if the high-speed handling isn't controllable and extra weight on the transom might also lead to handling or trim problems. A 35 to 40 HP Evinrude or Mercury should be relatively easily to find- you might be able to get away with a lightweight 50 HP as well. The max weight range to shoot for would be 140 to 160 lbs, which is the range of outboards made in 1958. A little tinkering and tuning along with the right prop should put you into the 30 to 35 mph range depending on the motor you end up with.

www.old-omc.de and www.oldmercs.com are good resources to find out what Evinrude/Johnson and Mercury outboards were available when.

Also, since you are in the West Michigan area, you might want to contact Dick at Starboard Marine Restorations: www.boatrestorations.com - he's local and might have something for sale you might be looking for.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)