Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sealer on before primer? & Easy blistering quirey

Sealer on before primer? & Easy blistering quirey 13 years 11 months ago #5798

I took notes from past threads here, elsewhere and youtube videos about crazing and blistering and know what I am getting myself into BUT have some basic questions I can't find answers to.

1) The picture is of my hull. All the Batboat latex paint is stripped off now and I am ready to start sanding the gelcoat with 80 and 220 grit. Inside the yellow lines is where the majority of the blistering is (same areas where soggy, waterlogged foam was inside). Crazing and blistering is really bad near the stern.

Most of the delamination is visible but how do I get all of the hidden blisters to reveal themselves? Will my sanding the gelcoat with 80 and 220 grit pop them out or is there another more efficient technique? Or it is better to remove all gelcoat in those areas down to glass?

2) Here and on youtube I found mentions of applying a "sealer" on the gelcoat before primer but nothing specific.

Please elaborate.

Will be using 3 sanded coats of Easypoxy White Undercoater as primer. Is that it?

Thanks in advance. :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

http://batboat.blogspot.com/

Re:Sealer on before primer? & Easy blistering quirey 13 years 11 months ago #5799

Hey,

Pettet Protect Epoxy Primer is recomended prior to painting. Apply, allow to dry and sand accordind to manufactures instruction.

I will be using Pettet Vivid gloss anti-fouling bottom paint also. These two products will deliver a bullet proof hull. My methods can be veiwed here www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/main-forum/restofish-continued

Have Fin....

Re:Sealer on before primer? & Easy blistering quirey 13 years 11 months ago #5804

my boat was done with a gray automive epoxy primer, and color was petit easypoxy.extremely happy with that choice 5 yrs. later. let me add that it has never been in the water for more than 3 days at a time.
Attachments:

Re:Sealer on before primer? & Easy blistering quirey 13 years 11 months ago #5873

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
80 grit paper will 'reveal' any blisters you need to concern yourself with. Before filling/ coating [depending on severity of blister] make sure the area is dry. DRY ! Get that: DRY! MOisture back there will find its way back through, blistering the new surface from the inside out.

I re-did a boat that stays in water 5 months every year. I found an expensive, but {so far} effective product at Jamestown distributers, to prevent water from getting back in there. It was on the lake two full summers, this is its third year, and all is fine.

Read the descriptions, see if you think its what you're looking for... www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=113&familyName=Interlux+InterProtect+2000E%2F2001E+Epoxy+Primer

Re:Sealer on before primer? & Easy blistering quirey 13 years 11 months ago #5988

Thanks for the tip.

I just emailed Petit regarding the Interprotect 2000E/2001E you suggested and their Petit Protect High Build Epoxy Primer 4700/4701 to see what is best for me. :)

Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

Re:Sealer on before primer? & Easy blistering quirey 13 years 11 months ago #6147

Surprisingly, they didn't email back! :ohmy:

Will get more info on the InterProtect 2000E/2001E and see what the difference is between the other. (Not much is my guess).

My biggest question.... I am assuming the 2000E/2001E primer is the actual primer needed for the Petit EasyPoxy, correct? I'll just need the 2000E/2001E then roll Easypoxy?

Darren Nemeth
1966 Batboat Blog!

Re:Sealer on before primer? & Easy blistering quirey 13 years 11 months ago #6199

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
without going back to re-read the info, I believe the high build primer would be for above the waterline, to level and fill surface imperfections. [ie sanding scratches, not cracks].
Some may suggest sealer as the last step before painting, making sure that primers, gelcoat, bare glass, and fillers don't bleed thru to the final top coat.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)