Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for Hydroswift Information

Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #579

Hi there. I just bought a 60s era hydroswift 18 ft boat and am looking for some info on it. Hoping someone has some good links to help with identification. Thanks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #584

I'd like to find out more about Hydroswift as well, but past inquiries of mine and others have not produced much.
I can only say my '60 16' hardtop is built like a tank. After sitting with a bilge full for decades the floor is solid as a rock as are the stringers.

Peter
in Denver

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #615

I believe Bruce G. is working on the HydroSwift section.

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #621

Yes - I'll be doing a small write up soon. I have info on the origins of the company, but no brochures or mag adverts. I'll get the info I have found put up fairly soon.

I have a Landau 17 hardtop that needs a full resto. I've seen a number of them over the years, but only decided to pick one up last fall. I've always liked the Landau, as it's roomy, stylish, and has a lower profile than my Skagit. I also like the angle of the cutwater, as it isn't as "proud" as most of the other vintage boats of similar size. I am concerned about how flat the stern is, no deadrise whatsoever. May be a bone crusher in heavy chop.

Peter & others; do your boats have the similar flat botom at the stern?

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #627

This is what the 1961 HydroSwift brochure looks like- I claim no ownership of this image as this was saved from an ebay listing and won't be posted in the Library.
Attachments:

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #646

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #647

I don't see the 1961 brochure image & I'd love to see it. If not mistaken, it's OK to post images captured from an eBay listing, as the material is not copywritten by ebay, and the original rights to the brochure are long dead.

Please send me the brochure / ad page in a PM if posible.

I'll consult with the webmaster & other editors about issues involving ebay images.

Brian, can you o a digital scan of the news article for the section?

I have more detailed info in addition to what you posted, but THANKS for your contribution!

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #649

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #651

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #652

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #657

Yes - flat at the stern - shallow draft - leans easily to one side with my fat ass in it.
Bit rough in heavy chop but goes like stink with the 75 hp Evinrude.
I like it!

Peter
in Denver
Attachments:

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #659

Man, Peter that's a real beauty! Unrestored?

I'm sorry to hear that she lists so, I was hoping that it would be otherwise. sort of surprises me with the beam being what it is.

I'm spoiled by the stability of my Skagit Skimaster. I weigh 220, and as long as I put an icechest (about 30- 40 lbs) in the back on the opposite side, she rides right on center. Was thinking of selling her this summer - humm, maybe I'll keep her.........
Attachments:

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #699

I scanned and posted the above articles in hopes that someone would post them in the library area for HydroSwift.

Andreas

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #701

Done. Thanks!

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #707

Unrestored.
She sat in back of a house near downtown Denver for 30 years. I bought it for parts. After I got it home Larry (Boat Geek) Durant said he thought it'd clean up. No way says I. I was wrong.

Had a bilge full of water - some of which probably came from the Blizzard of '82. I drained it...a plumber friend came over with his scope. I opened up a few holes in the floor and we did a camera inspection. The stringers are glassed in - the bottom of the floor is glassed - despite the water in there it was tight as a tick.

Cleaned her up - tuned the motor - off whe went. The original interior is rough and would cost a lot to reproduce - but it's really a nice boat that's a lot of fun to run.

Here are some links:
The retreival story
archives.fiberglassics.com/forum818/showmessage.asp?fm=Forum&messageID=23753

The Subfloor inspection:

Peter
it finally stopped snowing
in Denver
Attachments:

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #749

OK, so I'll try to post this image, from 1961.

Lee Wangstad

These are from 1963.

I guess that I figured it out! They really put out some nice literature, with the latter in a calendar format. I'll have to work out how to get it into the library later when I've got more time.

Lee Wangstad

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #773

• webmaster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
What's really neat to me personally...

Those are my home waters. I recognize most of the pics and where they were taken. One of them even says the name of the lake.

Thanks Lee. If one of the staff wants to take this stuff and put it in the section, please do so. That is, if it's ok with Lee until we show him how to do it.

Kelly

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #779

OK....I have to chime in here as well. That is a great post guys! I am with Kelly here in Utah and I also recognize the majority of those locations. What a blast from the past for me. THANK YOU for digging those up. This is what Fiberglassics is all about!!!!!!!
:kiss:

Mike Russon

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #780

Lee,

Thanks so much for helping out. If nobody places those in the HydroSwift section by this evening, I'll get to work on it. I'm too busy with work right now, otherwise I'd just do it.

Ted Ludlow Got into the boat Biz because He and his Dad got into making Swimming pools for the salt lake area. In the mid 50s when fiberglass started to be explored more, they pioneered the use of fiberglass in the production of pre-fab swimming pools. Soon after he started making boats.

Bruce

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #781

Bruce Gerard wrote:

Man, Peter that's a real beauty! Unrestored?

I'm sorry to hear that she lists so, I was hoping that it would be otherwise. sort of surprises me with the beam being what it is.

I'm spoiled by the stability of my Skagit Skimaster. I weigh 220, and as long as I put an icechest (about 30- 40 lbs) in the back on the opposite side, she rides right on center. Was thinking of selling her this summer - humm, maybe I'll keep her.........

Bruce,
Your Skimaster is a jewel. I love that design with the swept back hard top. She's a keeper IMHO.

Mike Russon

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #782

• webmaster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Bruce Gerard wrote:

Lee,

Thanks so much for helping out. If nobody places those in the HydroSwift section by this evening, I'll get to work on it. I'm too busy with work right now, otherwise I'd just do it.

Ted Ludlow Got into the boat Biz because He and his Dad got into making Swimming pools for the salt lake area. In the mid 50s when fiberglass started to be explored more, they pioneered the use of fiberglass in the production of pre-fab swimming pools. Soon after he started making boats.

Bruce

I put them in there. If you want to edit anything, please do.

kw.

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #793

Thanks Mike..... Can't keep 'em all - but may make an exception by holding on to "Peppermint" can you believe she's unrestored?

Kelly, thanks - I'll get in there & do a little editing at some point.

Bruce

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #807

Thanks Lee - I've been hoping to see original literature for two years now!

Peter
in Denver

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 14 years 2 months ago #811

Had to get used to the new format, but once I got going it was easy. I did it by submitting and editing the first post, is that correct? It worked so if I can remember until the next time something turns up.....

They are not the only ones to turn from swimming pools to boats. Anthony Powercraft started the same way in LA. Glad to hear that this has helped. If it is posted, go ahead and use it however it helps the site.

Lee

Re:Looking for Hydroswift Information 13 years 7 months ago #15503

I'm excited to see more 'Swift stuff on here now! We had a 1959 17 Series that we just let go of about a month ago. I have a photocopied brochure from that year that I will see if I can get back from the new owner and post up here. While we had ours, I spent months trying to find any information at all on them. All I could really find was that the company that made them was bought out by Titus Boats and that Titus has no information prior to the 1980's or so. Good luck with your boat!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)