Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions

Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5019

I'm new to the vintage fiberglass boat scene and am currently looking for a nice original 1950's fiberglass boat. I've found a couple I'm going to look at here in the next couple of weeks.

I see lots and lots of restorations here from boats in pretty bad shape.

Here's my question.
Have any of you found a well-kept (garaged) 1950's original fiberglass boat that hasn't been restored that doesn't have some fashion of structural rot needing to be pulled apart?

In other words, is is possible to find a nice original fiberglass boat from the 1950's that doesn't have some sort of structural issue? I'm not talking restored, but rather a true time-capsule boat that needs general maintenance to get back on the water?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks for your time.

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5020

They're out there...but expect to pay a premium for them. Most people who own clean, original Glassics hang on to them but there are exceptions.

Craigslist, Ebay and this forum are probably your best resources for finding an original creampuff. Be selective and dont necessarily buy the first one you look at...there is ALOT of junk out there. If possible, take someone well versed in classic boats along with you and can show you what to look for.

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5026

bob beers found this 59?flying fish in fantastic original condition,it even came with matching plaid water skis,i saw it in peron,it was really great,but it wasnt cheap.john.ps its the black and red boat,its a herters.
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5032

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
This is an 1962 or 3 Scott boat that I finally got bought after 6 months of waiting,it was said to be used 2-3 times ? it is nice ,the engine is spotless.inside and out,trailer fade, but niceBill

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5034

Thanks for the feedback. So there is deals to be had if you are in the right place at the right time.

A thorough inspection separates the winners from the suckers.

Unfortunately, there's a sucker born every minute.

If I can find a nice original that's been sitting, the boat will require the standard engine refurbish, trailer maintenance and going through all the controls and wiring.

I just don't want to deal with wood rot and fiberglass replacement.

I fully understand the purchase price on most vintage/antique boats is merely the entry fee. :laugh:

Thanks again for the feedback.

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5035

I actually had a call from a guy in Kueka, NY who has a 1957 mahogany topped Crosby Sportsman that's been garaged for 15 years that he wants to sell. Should have photos soon. It's available. 14', so a little small, but a great lake boat....not as in Huron, Michigan, Eire, Ontario or Superior....but like...you know.... a lake. :)

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5057

depends where you are, I had a fellow's son who father had a boat like mine, they didn't have a digital camera and what not but gave me a pretty good description of it I posted it on here in the old forums and told anyone who might be interested that they would have to wait for the pictures of it....but in the meantime I found some skyview pictures of it and from the air...it looked mint!

got the pictures...post them and a month or so went by i do believe and I got an email from one of the users that what he found was basically a museum piece, rather a funliner with all the bells and whistles. unfortunately after he bought it (last fall I believe) he became to ill and had to sell it after being put on a hart transplant list this year, never being able to put it in the water.

haven't heard back from him yet guys but I will keep everyone up to date.

yes you can find them...

silverlake matter of fact had/has an old Custom Craft may still be for sale tucked away in a garage...gotta ask CC or Tim about it

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5063

Something to keep in mind. As gell coat ages it becomes brittle. It may look just fine but when after several years of sitting it has become brittle. Exposing it to the elements of weather and the bouncing around on the water it may very well then crack. This I believe happened to Jag with a Lake and Sea boat.

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5065

Dan - welcome to the world of clasic boating.

Your life will never be the same now, as you will find yourself turning your car around to "have another look" at some boat you just drove past. Soon, you'll wonder why you didn't notice these beauties before now!

As has been said, take your time. Craig's List is probably the #1 place to look these days - there are many nice old boats still out there. Don't overlook boats for sale that have been previously restored. As long as the work was done correctly, this can be a less expensive (and less painful) way to put your hands on a nice classic.

I'm attaching a pic of one of my boats, my 1959 Skagit Hardtop. This boat is unrestored. I saw an ad for it in the paper one day, just on accident. $ 800.00 and I went boatin gin it that day. Can you believe that I almost didn't buy it? Of course, that was almost 10 years ago & the boat did need a lot of cleaning up. In time, I buffed the gelcoat about a million hours, rewired everything, installed NOS gauges, rebuilt the engine, and replaced any screw that wasn't marine quality.

They are out there if you look with patience & fortitude

Attachments:

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5074

My 1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray was also a barn find. As you see it here, all I did was wash it. I am replacing part of the floor because some moisture had crept in under the vinyl floor covering and rotted part of the plywood floor. They are out there, but you usually only come across them by fecal luck.
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5076

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Bruce I just love this boat. I enjoyed your video of the motor. Just creamy and dreamy all the way.
I am working on a 1970 Glastron V 156 and matching Merc 650 that is like a time piece. Couple of small issues (gum in the carbs that sort of thing) but she is truly like stepping back in time. Needs a good buffing. The seats they want to keep original need minor repair and there is barely if any stress cracks in it.
My only near mint find was a 68 GT 160 (no original motor) but the guy I sold it to pulled it apart and had all the wood. He plans on re doing the gel coat.
Jim

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5078

I grew up with a boat that my father still has, but it's a 1983 Mark Twain 17' I/O. I can have this boat anytime I want for free and it has low hours on the boat and has always been kept covered.

I rebuild old Vintage outboards for use on aluminum fishing boats. KE4, Mark 25, Merc 110's, etc.

I see this a potential next progression and would rather have a small runabout with some vintage iron hanging out back. I've got nothing but time to find the right boat at a reasonable price.

It will merely take some time and this forum and others have been a wealth of information.

Thanks again for answering the basic questions. Great bunch of people here.

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5079

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
any time Dan. You are right...there is a ton of good folks on this forum.
Jim

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5081

Dan
In reading your post I had a thought.
Wow, really, a thought...
sorry, talking to myself.

Anyway. There is a book out there called Runabout Renovation.
It has been a valuable resource for many in tackling the restoration process.
Although your desire is to find a well kept boat with minimal work involved to enjoy it, you might want to find a copy of the book.
It would give you an overview of everything you would want to be looking for in terms of making a Go / No go decision.
As we all know, the Devil, is in the details.

Also, it might help if you were to look thru some of the classic brochures for eye appeal. In other words, if you could define what your looking for somewhat, the members here may be able to help you locate one.

Ok, that is two thoughts.

Good luck
lar

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5084

What cool boats!

That control console on Bill's Scott is awesone. Right out of a space ship - that's good stuff right there, Bill.

The Custom Craft is an awesome boat too, and by the looks of it, its gonna be a real creampuff. Love the CC's...

And Jim, that Glasstron is very cool. It's like the original Bass boat hotrod. The helm is well past midpoint, so it's gotta ride like a dream. If I fished - I'd try to find one just like it.

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5088

Bruce,
That skagit always makes me smile when I see her. I have always loved the hard tops on those with the swept back look. Truly a great boat with lines to match. The red and white sure pops. I am always amazed at what people find. Nice work everyone !!!

Mike Russon

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5093

Hi Dan,
I just want to reinforce a few comments previously made...

1: most '50s fiberglass boats were built like crap by people who didn't know what they were doing. There are exceptions - but not too many. It's not uncommon to find pallet lumber under the floor - cardboard under the deck. Herters boats are an example of an exception - all aluminum substructure - high quality glass work - and even they need restoration - but that doesn't involve rotten wood.

2: Look for a stalled project. One with all the wood work done. New paint / gelcoat and upholstery costs a lot... but having the hull work labor done would be a big plus if it was done correctly.

3: Look for a boat that's already restored. It's common knowledge that, but for a very few, restorations don't sell for the cost of doing them and in a soft economy you're likely to find somebody bailing out of a nice finished boat at a fire sale price.

4: Visit thejohnmonahancollection.com/ . John Monahan in Little Falls MN has a museum and is currently selling some very nice original boats.

5: I'd suggest that boats of the 50's are probably not going to turn up as excellent originals. Early 60's boats perhaps. Note that the Scott boat and the Aristocraft shown here are 60's not 50's. Construction methods improved..materials improved..there was a lot of crap produced but some had style - you have to look.

Best of success in your search!

Peter
in Denver

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5095

What was the quality of Winner Manufacturing "Plasti-craft" boats like in the mid 1950's? It's my understanding they were the first company to make fiberglass boats in the late 1940's and were bought out by Thompson down the line.

Anyone here own a 1950's Winner Runabout? I can't find much information on actual owners of these boats, so this in itself may tell me something. :S

I've found a decent one through a mutual friend within a reasonable distance and am awaiting additional information/details before I make the trip over to inspect.

On an unrelated and more comical note. Every single antique outboard I've ever looked at has the same sales pitch:

"It ran great 2 years ago when we ran it last" :laugh: I think some of these people left a zero off the end of the year scale from the looks of the crumbled coils upon further inspection. $50 later I have another suitable project to work on over the winter.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5113

Mystic Seaport has a Plasticraft in their collection. It is in storage and not on display. I'm going to try to get a look at it this summer.

BTW, Peter, I love the Seaflite Seville you have for sale. Wish it wasn't 2000 miles away (like I need another boat)

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5123

g3jim wrote:

I am working on a 1970 Glastron V 153 and matching Merc 650 that is like a time piece. Couple of small issues (gum in the carbs that sort of thing) but she is truly like stepping back in time. Needs a good buffing. The seats they want to keep original need minor repair and there is barely if any stress cracks in it.

Please post some pics of the V153. Would love to see it. I have a '71 that's in pretty good shape gel coat wise. New composite core in '07. 90 hp Evinrude pushes it to nearly 55 mph GPS. WooHoo!

Ya the '68 GT 160 is a cool boat too. Forerunner of a deck boat I'd say vs. bass boat.

SeeYa!
Attachments:

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5148

Anyone with a 1950's Winner that can vouch for the quality of construction?

Thanks again.

Dan

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5177

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Love this discussion! The finds are there if you look patiently, and wade thru alot of boats that won't qualify.
Like another poster said, even if it appears perfect, problems may be lurking. My brother got a 1962 Chevy Biscayne with original interior and 26000 orig. miles. That original interior was perfect, but within a week or two of use, virtually every seam opened -- the fabric was dry rotted. Not wanting to dampen your quest, just alerting you to the fact that the simple passage of time, even without use, may hide inevetable consequences.
Hope your search is positive, and you share the details here!

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5181

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
71 V153 wrote:

g3jim wrote:

I am working on a 1970 Glastron V 156 and matching Merc 650 that is like a time piece. Couple of small issues (gum in the carbs that sort of thing) but she is truly like stepping back in time. Needs a good buffing. The seats they want to keep original need minor repair and there is barely if any stress cracks in it.

Please post some pics of the V153. Would love to see it. I have a '71 that's in pretty good shape gel coat wise. New composite core in '07. 90 hp Evinrude pushes it to nearly 55 mph GPS. WooHoo!

Ya the '68 GT 160 is a cool boat too. Forerunner of a deck boat I'd say vs. bass boat.

SeeYa!

the first 4 photos in my post were photos of the v156

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5182

Step 1 has been taken. I just ordered a copy of runabout renovation. If I can't find a suitable boat, it will be a good read in the Cuarto de baño :laugh:

My Dad is getting up in years and keeps wanting to give me his early 1980's 17' Mark Twain, open bow, 140 Mercruiser. If nothing else, I can always renovate this boat and apply the same principles from the book. It has low hours and is in really good shape, but I'd like to have something older and more unique. Or both if I want to pay for storage for one of the boats.

When I find some prospects, I'll post them up to garner some feedback. Unless there's a bunch of vultures here who would buy out from under me for their own project :)

If anyone has the lowdown on someone who worked for Winner back in the day, please drop me a note.

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5218

The earliest Winner Plasti-Craft boats did not use glass as the reinforcing. They used sisal, a "natural" material. They switched over to glass fibers in 1947.

Winner introduced Orlon acrylic overlay for their boat hulls in 1956. I have no idea what that means.

I have no knowledge of the quality of their 1950s boats.

On 30 December 1959 the boat division of Winner Manufacturing Co. was purchased by Wizard Boats of Tennessee, Inc. located at Dickson, TN. The new owner's changed the company name to Winner Boats, Inc. in June 1960. The old Winner models were dropped and they kept the Wizard models. Wizard bought Winner in large part to get the "Winner" name.

Winner at Dickson, TN went thru numerous ownership changes and closures and bankruptcy in the 1970s. In 1977 the assets were purchased from a bank by Winner Boats of Nevada, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Thompson Boat, Inc. Assts were moved to Peshtigo, WI and a few Winner models were intigrated into the Thompson line.

Andreas

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5220

Hi Dan, As you can see by all these posts, the older boats are out there. Sometimes, it's just dumb luck to come upon something that jumps out at you. I see lots of 'em sitting behind someones house or under some trees, that people have just forgot about or don't care anymore. Finding one that doesn't require a lot of work is another thing. I was fortunate when I found mine. A '63 Sea Ray 808 that was pretty much original. Factory engines, factory trailer, orignal steering, the whole schmeer! Didn't need to have a bunch of things done to it to get it water worthy. Keep checking this site. These people are a font of knowledge. Good Luck with your search and there is NO cure for this disease. Bob
Attachments:

Re:Original 1950's Fiberglass Boat Questions 14 years 1 month ago #5227

Dan,
I have read my copy of Runabout Renovation a dozen times at least. I always find useful and great information that Jim Anderson puts in there. It is one book that should sit on the shelf of every boater wanting to renovate a boat. I don't know Jim, and I don't make a penny when he sells a book, but I really do enjoy it and would gladly thank him in person for it if I could.

Mike Russon
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

test ad
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

test ad
06-02-2024

Aquabird steering wheel