Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How can I find The value of an old Span boat

How can I find The value of an old Span boat 14 years 2 weeks ago #4554

The boat appears to be about a 1961 span nomad with a 1959 merc mark 58a outboard. I had it out 4 times last year and she really goes.I will try to post some pics here soon. I am going to sell the boat since we are having our 4th child and there won't be enough room for all of us.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:How can I find The value of an old Span boat 14 years 2 weeks ago #4574

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
There are many variables that factor into what your boat is "worth", let me just throw a few out there for you.
The condition of the hull - is it structurally sound, what kind of shape is the finish in, has it ever been repaired and if so, what kind of work was done on it (quality or "patch job"). Is all the original hardware and windshield there, has anybody cut holes in the dash to install "accessories"?
Floor/Stringers/Transom - Many of the older boats have issues with wood rot, are these items still in good shape? Does the floor seem solid or give when you walk on it, are there stress cracks (or popped rivets in the aluminum models)in the 'glass indicating the stringers are shot and "giving", is the transom straight (most models), solid, and true?
Power/Controls/Electrical - What kind of shape is the motor in, compression even between cylinders, most recent maintenance including water pump impeller, any signs of overheating (discolored paint, etc.), lower unit (gearcase) damage or bearing wear, lube condition? Engine controls and steering operate freely without excessive play, wiring intact (condition of insulation and connections) and lights etc. operating properly?
Interior - What kind of shape are the seats and upholstery in, including the (many times) wooden structure underneath. What kind of shape is the carpet or floor in, mold or mildew present?
Trailer - General condition good, not excessively rusted or damaged, tires, wheel bearings, lights, bunks or rollers all in good shape?
Title/Registrations - Do you have the proper paperwork on the boat and trailer, has it been registered recently, will the new owner have a hard time trying to get it transferred and registered in their name?
Current market in your area - A boat that brings $1000 in one area may only bring $500 in another, and $1500 somewhere else. It's a good idea to check Glassifieds, Craig's list, local newspapers, boat trader mags, etc. to get a feel for where you can go with your price.
Two final thoughts - Pictures are worth a thousand words each (at least), and the real bottom line is, it's worth whatever somebody is willing to give you for it. ;)
Hope this helps.......I'm tired of typing and gonna go work on my boat now. :laugh:

Mark

Re:How can I find The value of an old Span boat 14 years 1 week ago #4662

I believe you have contacted me regarding this already but here is about what you can expect to get for it. $500 to $750 if its clean and runs good. I have one here that I bought from the original owner for $250 with the original motor and bill of sale. Its not that the boats are not desireable its the economy. People don't have the money to spend on toys anymore.
Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)