Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Windshield,used,please?

Windshield,used,please? 14 years 1 month ago #3151

Hi! I have a 16' 1964 Mermaid runabout, that has a crazed shield. its about 64 inches wide at the sides. i either need a replacement, or some input on how to remove the crazing. it still is clear, but distorted from the crazing.i think it's a protective coating on the lexan, or lucite. Any input?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Windshield,used,please? 14 years 1 month ago #3159

you might want try cleaning it like i did to my windshield . Gil

i started with 800 grit to 1000 to 1200 to 1500 to 2000 , then i used number 7 rubbing compound with my 7 inch buffer . i went to number 7 polishing compound with my orbital sander with a foam pad , then i used this stuff call KIT scratch remover with the foam pad then just a good coat of wax . i know theres a bunch of exotic plastic polishes out there but i had to use what i had and could afford . it cleaned up pretty good .

here is a during and after of the windshield . it came out ok good enough for now . now i have to cut the rear windows out of the wraparound pieces . Gil

Re:Windshield,used,please? 14 years 1 month ago #3172

wow, I love the walls in ur garage... and thanks. I will remove it soon, and try that...

Re:Windshield,used,please? 14 years 1 month ago #3187

64,if buffing doesnt work get ahold of dave albertson"cc1000" on here,or go to his website ,"nickle city classics"he has many nos windsheilds for sale,most are for custom crafts but he might have one that fits your boat,john,ps he has glass and plexiglass windsheilds.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Windshield,used,please? 14 years 1 month ago #3207

Thanks John,

I was gonna post, but all I have left is 70" and 72" windshields.

Plenty of those, but no smaller ones.

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re: Windshield,used,please? 14 years 1 month ago #3215

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
What type of shield. I just posted one for sale this morning in the "Glassifieds"

Re: Windshield,used,please? 14 years 1 month ago #3216

Sabre, I tried to post a pic, but i cant resize down. Its curved,1 piece.64" at rear . I'll go look at the ads.wow,Sabre, That will work. I want to try buffing first. If that fails, I will be in touch. Cant be cheap to ship to Pittsburgh........

Re: Windshield,used,please? 14 years 1 month ago #3218

64,are you from pittsburgh?im not that far away im from indiana,pa.
you should come to silver lake ,its a classic boat meet june 5th in ny.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re: Windshield,used,please? 14 years 1 month ago #3219

Yes, actually from Penn Hills. I'd be interested in that trip. I THINK I can now post a pic...
Attachments:

Re: Windshield,used,please? 14 years 1 month ago #3221

there ya go,you did it,if your interested theres a guy down the road with an old scottie craft that has a windsheild for it,he wants 100 bucks for all,boat ,motor guessing a 1950b johson,and a old trailer,but the tounge is bent,he might even take less hes had it awhile,john

---Mark Twain

Re: Windshield,used,please? 14 years 1 month ago #3223

I may look ya up soon. My sister lives in indiana, on n.3rd. I work alot of long hours. Hoping to have this boat painted soon. I get up to Yellow Creek State Park often to fish. I have a SOT Kayak, a 10' Jon-boat, plus this Mermaid. Had a jetski and a sailboat,too. Had to sell be4 I could get more boats. (wife) LOL
Note the arched shield, not a flat bottom. Thats been the problem, I find used shields, that wont fit.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)