TOPIC: Power Cat 18DC

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #6375

• crosbyboat
  • crosbyboat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
40 hp each. Total of 80 hp.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #6377

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
And oh, what a sweet song they're about to sing! Think you can talk Frank into coming along to video the launch?

Mark

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #6407

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I DOOO love the sounds of twins. And being a musician I am keenly tuned to know when they're working together. Lots of money has been spent on synchronizers when all you need to do is listen to the motors and adjust them until they don't "warble". When the rpms are matched, any resonating instantly goes away, and they start singing the same song. No decision on first launch yet. I'm always partial to the St. Lawrence as compared to the Hudson.

Motor Connecting Bar 13 years 11 months ago #6420

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Just got back from Frank's place and building the 50" socket to socket connecting bar to connect the Evinrude 40's steering. Came out great. And, had an email from Greg Anderson when I got back telling me he was sending me ball and socket joints he picked out of his metal recycling bin. You gotta love this place!

1) Thanks to Chinewalker for parts; 1 socket was 7/16" fine, the other 1/2" fine. So Frank and I drilled out the the 7/16" and tapped it for 1/2" fine. Then took a 48" steel rod and threaded the ends with 1/2" fine. Viola. A 50" socket to socket connecting bar.

2) Thanks to Frank for the drill press and tap and dye set. Ok, it cost me a 29/64 bit. Cheap enough.

3) Thanks to Greg Anderson for ball and socket joints on the way.
Attachments:

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #6422

• MarkS

You gotta love this place!

B, It appears you're "well-connected". Get it, connecting bar, friends, joke? Never mind. :blush:

Mark

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #6425

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
LOL...excellent. Next is figuring out how to connect the old Mercury RideGuide to the steering bar, well, after I remount the wheel. Shouldn't be too hard. I have the transom cable clamp so, it's really figuring out how to connect from the cable end to the connecting rod, or the closest motor. I'm thinking it's going to need to be the rod as without a tilt tube on the Rudes there's nothing to latch onto and still have room for the cable clamp between the fin and the first motor. Probably become obvious once the steering cable is back in.

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #6446

Just so everyone knows, I didn't require the drill bit as payment. Brian just gave it to me. Of course, he will always know where it is when he needs it again... :laugh:

Hooking your steering cable to that rod would certainly do the trick B. Get er dun!

Long day today for Frank. Not much time to work on da boat. Same for tomorrow. Bah.

Frank

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #6448

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Don't believe Frank. He had a gun to my head. It was the bit or my life. So I gave him the bit. :ohmy: LOL. Thanks again F.

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #6449

• MarkS
Any way to mount the cable bracket inside the fin, B? (That would probably make too tight of a turn for the cable tho, now that I think about it.) Looks like your motors are pretty close to the fins, think I see your dilemma. May have to come out to the middle area with a longer cable, mount the bracket there and weld a connector to the rod? Just thinking.......I'll shut up now, I know you'll figure out something!

Mark

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #6465

Looking good Brian! Glad you were able to make something out of the pile of steering parts I left for you. My vote for first run is the St. Lawrence - then I get to help synch them! And drink your beer afterwards. ;)
- Scott

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #6586

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Scott - You know my preference already. This run will call for 90 Minute Ale though. My all time favorite. Everything was measured and clamped on tonight. Should get a lot done this weekend...even with my oldest graduating from SUNY Albany on Saturday.

Brian

Thanks Greg! 13 years 11 months ago #6695

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Parts arrived today Greg. Perfect! The motors are now connected!

Brian
Attachments:

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #6789

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sanded the 4 pieces of rub rail I have. Laid it out on the boat. More than enough to do the rail and have enough left over to make a pair of transom trim pieces. Polished up really nice, except for the deep gouges from the storm. Those sections I will cut out and discard.

Also, cleaned the forward bulkhead which I hadn't done anything with in almost 2 years. This just gets put back in as is. It's in great shape, was just very dirty.

And finally with the motors on and the boat out of the garage I was able to get far enough away to capture both motors on the boat. I'm thinking instead of DOUBLE WIDE, which I never really cared for, this one ought to be called SEPARATION ANXIETY. (And recognize I haven't wet sanded the transom yet. It's got 8-9 coats of Interlux VC Performance Epoxy on it. Will wet sand it on a nice summer day when I can be in the water with it.)
Attachments:

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #6790

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
And finally today, completed repairs to the dash. I had a problem where a large batch of kitty hair I mixed up a while back I did not adequately mix in the hardener. I found 2 or 3 spots where I could dent a large fill I made (speedo hole?). Dug all the still soft stuff out and mixed up new filler. Sanded and painted it out. Installed the two overheat lights in the dash. Ready to start rigging the steering and wiring harnesses. But first I need to glass the inside seam, and paint out the interior again (my wife does not like my art work), then I'll install the rub rail.
Attachments:

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #6918

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
RideGuide steering system back in. Ignition switches drilled.
Attachments:

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #6922

Didn't like the spatter job huh?

Those engines do look as if they don't like each other way out there. Sounds like you are nearly there, keep up the good work.

Bernie

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #7127

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
A fresh night on the 18DC. Laid up the rest of the inside seam before dinner while I was still fresh. And...worked port to stbd, not stbd to port. That's my natural work position. Was able to get up under the deck and get all the way around the boat with the seam tape and resin. Was thrilled. And...the T-bolts came from Rockler. Next is the rub rail installation.
Attachments:

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #7146

Certainly one of the nicest looking boat desings out there. You're a master artisan Brian. Fabulous attention to detail.

"PuddyCat" in honor of our yellow friend Tweety

"Simply ReLarkable"

"Noah's Larks"

"Synchronicity"

Re:Power Cat 18DC - Rub Rail 13 years 11 months ago #7214

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Got two 12' rub rail sections ready to install. Big day tomorrow. Lots of small jobs to do.
Attachments:

Re:Power Cat 18DC - Rubrail On - Well Most of It! 13 years 11 months ago #7242

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bought 44 T-bolts. Should have bought 60. Takes a good number to make the turns and pull everything in nice and tight. Ordered more this morning. Cut out as much of the badly damaged section that I could. A few scratches are left behind. Best I can do and have enough to finish the boat. A ~4' section on each side left to do, and the two transom trim pieces. I have 4 T-bolts left, so will make and install the transom today, and finish the side rail when the additional bolts come next week. I think I've crawled under the deck for the last time, and will install the fwd bulkhead later today.

Re:Power Cat 18DC - Back to Plain Vanilla 13 years 11 months ago #7262

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bright, and boring. That's what my wife wanted. It is impossible to be an artist!
Attachments:

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #7271

• MarkS
Jeeezzzeee, "Sell the Cutter" (Me), "I want the red and white seats (Frank), "paint the inside white" (Brian)! I hope they appreciate our undying love. :P

Mark

Re:Power Cat 18DC - Back to Plain Vanilla 13 years 11 months ago #7285

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mark - She does. But only after the dinner is cooked, dishes done, house vacuumed and the laundry done. 37 years we've been working at it, and it's just fine. She is my best encourager.

Re:Power Cat 18DC - We have Ignition 13 years 11 months ago #7505

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wired the twin 1962 Evinrude Lark IV tonight. Bought a new battery and gave them a whirl. Port engine spinning fine. Stbd is spinning slow. I'm thinking the starter is bad. I have several spares. Will swap the port harness to the stbd motor later to rule out the solenoid. Continuity through both. Life is good. I want to add gas to the port engine!
Attachments:

Re:Power Cat 18DC - We have Ignition 13 years 11 months ago #7517

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
After swapping wiring harnesses, the slow spinning motor stays with the stbd side, does not follow the harness swap. That tells me the problem is the starter most likely....the only part of the starter circuit that stayed with the motor.

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #7539

• MarkS

I want to add gas to the port engine!

You can, B, the starboard engine is so far away it'll never even notice! LOL Seriously, if you need any starter bushings, brushes, or whatever let me know.

Mark

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #7594

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Mark, but I have plenty of spare everythings to keep late 50's - early 60's Lark running for many years after I'm gone. Lower units, gear sets, carbs, starters, alternators, short and long drive shafts, impellar housings, water tubes, thermostats....I've got multiple spares. Wiring harnesses I'm short on if you ever see them.

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 11 months ago #8161

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ok, back from Memorial Day, Monday night I swapped out the starter to stbd. Same result, slow spin. WTF? Pulled the spark plugs, and the engine whipped right around. Hmmm....shot a little WD40 in each hole and spun it for 10-15 seconds. Let it sit all day until last night. Plugs back in. Went through the battery-started wiring on both motors again hand over hand tightening everything and checking things. Both motors spinning nicely now under compression. Stbd motor could have been dry from not being run, or I could have had a loose connection causing losses. It's great now. Tonight I'll install the solenoid boxes to the transom under the splashwell and pretty up the harnesses. Also, as soon as I saw the fitting that Madprops posted earlier I thought I've seen something like that before. Monday night went out to the shop and there at the end of old bent connecting rod between the old Mercs that use to be on this was the same style fitting, but complete with a motor connecting bar! Taught me I need to better forensics during project take down and maybe log on paper what I found.
Attachments:

Power Cat 18DC - Fire in the Hole! 13 years 10 months ago #8247

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Fired off the port engine last night. Wham! Instant start. The stbd engine sputtered and balked and backfired so I quit for the night. Corrected the problem on the stbd side this morning and started it up. Uh...I reversed the plug wires. That doesn't work so good!

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 10 months ago #8248

• MarkS
Brian wrote:

Uh...I reversed the plug wires. That doesn't work so good!

I'm all too familiar with the "shooting yourself in the foot" syndrome, nice to hear somebody else experiences that problem once in a while. :laugh:
You've gotta be getting close to launch time, I can't wait to see that beauty in the water B! Whatcha got left to do?

Mark

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 10 months ago #8257

He He...gotta love a guy who admits his mistakes. Glad to hear it was minor, now when we gonna see it in the water?

I think Frank is gonna find something like that too. His was done with attention to detail as yours are, almost has to be something simple.

Congrats, but it's still a PROJECT. Won't be a BOAT until it's in the water. Whats lacking?

Bernie

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 10 months ago #8270

Actually, truth be told, the mistake was mine. I rebuilt the magnetos for Brian and I mis-marked the tag for the TOP spark plug wire. Doh!!

- Scott

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 10 months ago #8272

Crosbyboat do you still need this part I have it packaged ready to be posted, but if you dont need it now it will save me a trip to town

Michael

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 10 months ago #8333

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Gees Scott - I was trying to take the bullet and you stepped in front of it! Great trip up and back to Wellsley yesterday. Left work at noon, went out to Reed's Point to check on the Island, filled up at TI Bait, crossed the bridge at 3:50 and got to the home where the meeting was, incredible place, Millionaires Row, just to the left of TI Club. Had the meeting, and dinner, and home by midnight. RBR wants more outboarders. Do you have any suggestions to get more vintage outboarders to come to the show?

Mike - I'm good with what I found in the shop. Thank you very much for your efforts.

Brian

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 10 months ago #8427

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Got the last of the rub rail on today. Not an exact match, but durn close and glad it was in the boat. It works. Also got the wiring harnesses dressed up some, and the forward bulkhead is back in. Need to get some grommets and screws tomorrow.
Attachments:

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 10 months ago #8532

At the risk of double posting (again)

I agree with your wife, the plain white interior looks better, we'll see when it gets some dirt on it...

Do you have the windshields for the cabin?

Bernie

Re:Power Cat 18DC 13 years 10 months ago #8634

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hi Bernie - Yes I have the windshields but they need some serious work. Just bought compounds tonight to try to recover them.

Brian

Compression Test 13 years 10 months ago #8636

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Trying to figure out why the stbd motor won't start. Got spark, fuel, and good compression. Just ran all four numbers for port and stbd compression. Nearly identical, within 5-10% on each motor.

Port Stbd

Upper 95 92

Lower 90 90

Re: Compression Test 13 years 10 months ago #8640

Will that spark jump a 3/8 gap? Sometimes a weak spark can't get up enough arc to light it up.

The John Gambill School of Windshield Restoration 13 years 10 months ago #8641

• crosbyboat
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The master windshield restorer shared his secrets on FG regarding how to restore a plexiglass windshield. Attached are photos of the stbd front window of the 18DC. Horribly hazed and scratched on one side, and the other after spending no more than 15-20 minutes on it. Amazing. JAG has saved me probably more than $500 with this easy repair. $20 in material and some elbow grease is all it will take.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.368 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'