Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Questions About my Johnson Motor

Questions About my Johnson Motor 13 years 7 months ago #18642

A friend gave me this Johneson 5 1/2 motor & I had a few questions.

What year would it be from? (aprox)

The motor runs but the prop does not spin. Is this usually a major fix? Thanks for all your help!

i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy150/barryrah/johnsonmotor.jpg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Questions About my Johnson Motor 13 years 7 months ago #18647

The motor is a mid to later 50's. I don't know the exact year but chinewalker will. The very first thing to check is the shear pin. Just pull the propeller using the cotter key through the prop nut. Remove the nut and you should see a piece of round soft metal through the prop and prop shaft that is covered by the nut. If its missing, or broken, that's most likely the problem. Any OMC dealer will have replacements. If its not that, then test and see if you have neutral, fwd and rev by shifting not operating. In neutral the prop should freewheel. In fwd and rev the prop should lock up. If it does this, you could have a spun hub on the prop as they have a rubber bushing. Other problems require getting into the lower unit and shifting mechanism. I'd replace the impeller before doing much of anything too.

Re:Questions About my Johnson Motor 13 years 7 months ago #18648

The hood is 1958 model year.

Go to www.old-omc.de and you can verify the year thru the model number. There is a decipher chart someplace on that website.

www.aomci.org is the Antique Outboard Motor Club. They have a good discussion forum about old outboard motors. There are two chapters in Minnesota.

Andreas

Re:Questions About my Johnson Motor 13 years 7 months ago #18652

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Rated by many as the second best fishing motor (the E/J 3-4hp JW Lightwin series wins hands down) ever made. Trolls down to almost nothing, reliable, parts plentiful, shifts, good power for its hp. Only reasons its second are portability, needs a separate fuel tank, and the 3-4s have that wonderful weedless gearcase. I have a 1957 3hp and a 1962 5-1/2hp in my collection (I am a member of AOMCI) and would have a VERY difficult decision to make if I HAD to part with one!!!! My 3 is THE fishing motor, the 5 1/2 when the family is along.

Re:Questions About my Johnson Motor 13 years 7 months ago #18658

Dam keep that motor. Got the model numbers off the plate on the transom clamp and can tell you just what year for sure. Now on the 35hp motors with the clam sheel hood it would be a 55 or 56 motor. If you want go over to Aomci and post the numbers and those guys will tell you everything you want to know about that motor. Heres he link to it.
www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=askamember
Its free and you don't have to sign up to post a question.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Questions About my Johnson Motor 13 years 7 months ago #18662

If the sea horse in the front Medallion has a star in front and one in back then it is a 1957

no stars then it is a 1958

www.marineengine.com/manuals/johnson/

Go to
www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=askamember
with the Mod# and ask for an exploded view of the motor

Join the forum it is free

I have exploded view for a Johnson RDE19 however I know that is not what you have

CAVU

Re:Questions About my Johnson Motor 13 years 7 months ago #18667

The color and paint scheme makes it a 1958. The prop may not be turning for several reasons up to and including a broken shock absorbing spring. The spring is located just under the water pump housing and the drive shaft fits into the top of it. Hopefully it is just a broken shear pin!
Al

Re:Questions About my Johnson Motor 13 years 7 months ago #18677

Wow!! Thanks so much for all your information. I will take a look at the cotter pin & hopefully is not much more than that. This is my first attempt at boat repair.

The plate says... Model CD-15 Serial number 1713103

Re:Questions About my Johnson Motor 13 years 7 months ago #18686

1958 5.5 HP...I have 3 rudes near the same year 1956, 1957, 1958

Wished I had a 1957 long shaft as to put on my Yellow Jacket as a kicker with the 1957 35 HP

CAVU

Re:Questions About my Johnson Motor 13 years 7 months ago #18722

It is indeed a 1958 model year and I can concur with the above recommendations that it is among the great motors ever built.

Couple things, though - be ABSOLUTELY sure you run that motor on a minimum of 24:1 oil mix - I run between 20:1 and 24:1 in my '56. If someone tells you that it'll handle 50:1, tell 'em they're full of it. Also, unless the previous owner can document that the waterpump was replaced within the last year or two, install a new one. Doesn't matter if the old one "looks" okay. Replace it. Period. They're cheap insurance.

Enjoy!
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

test ad
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

test ad
06-02-2024

Aquabird steering wheel
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)