Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Multiple gas tanks

Multiple gas tanks 13 years 6 months ago #18617

Is it possible to hook up multiple 6 gallon OMC steel tanks in such a manner that the feed will automatically switch to a full tank as each one empties?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Multiple gas tanks 13 years 6 months ago #18623

bill loveland wrote:

Is it possible to hook up multiple 6 gallon OMC steel tanks in such a manner that the feed will automatically switch to a full tank as each one empties?

The closest you will come to automatically is if you use an electric fuel switch.
Manual valves are the norm and run about 10 to 15 dollars.

Re:Multiple gas tanks 13 years 6 months ago #18629

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I don't know of any way to have them switch automatically Bill. Could you just get a 12 gal tank to fit the space occupied by the two 6 gal? (Assuming they're side by side or end to end.)
www.iboats.com/Moeller-Permenant-Topside-Fuel-Tanks/dm/cart_id.089542336--session_id.627467344--view_id.483752

Mark

Re:Multiple gas tanks 13 years 6 months ago #18633

It is possible, but probably not practical. You'd have to have an electronic level sensor for each tank that would feed into a common electronic fuel switch. The sensors would need to be set up so when the reach a certain low level, automatically engages the fuel switch and transfers it to the next tank. It would also have to be an instantaneous switch so the fuel line doesn't loose prime, considering the fuel pump is inside the outboard motor housing.

A 12 gallon tank sounds a whole lot easier.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Multiple gas tanks 13 years 6 months ago #18637

I answer a way that it can be done on AOMCI "ask a Member

I copy it to here

Yes it can be done...It is realty not automatic and I am not sure if it is USCG approved
We call it the piggy back rig. It will only work with a non auto vent tank....(like the OMC tanks that vent when you plug the line to them)

You install a Fuel Line Connector into the tank top (like on the link below) using a brass backer nut and fiber gasket (and drilling a hole)

You then hook the tank with the new fitting to the motor using the fitting that the factory had on the tank.

You then hook a hose from tank 2 to the tank one using the fitting that you installed.

You leave the vent closed on all but the last tank

We have 3 tanks like this on our duck hunting buggy...We can leave it in the field and bring the tanks home as to fill them...And no pouring gas from a Jerry can to the tank at 4:30 AM... and.....It makes it harder for someone to take the buggy for a joy ride

www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=950 ...
[/b]

CAVU
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady